PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mitchell down to two: SMU & Baylor

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Mitchell down to two: SMU & Baylor

Postby OhioBrownFan » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:06 pm

hoopmanx wrote:
OhioBrownFan wrote:I did not know that. That makes much more sense. I've seen Shake play, I like his game but he was much more of a scorer than a true PG. I also questioned his ability to facilitate an offense at the 1. At any rate, that makes more sense now.

If you go back to Mudiay/Nic this year, it's beginning to look like Brown wants two lead guards on the floor. Take the kid who went to Wake, Crawford, another long lead guard who visited. They want two kids who can handle, distribute etc. Foster is a 3. I talked to a high major assistant about him, who simply said he's low risk, high reward.

Yeah, I'm starting to get that picture real clear. It's an interesting philosophy, I mean you always want two guys that can run the offense but Brown is taking it to the extreme. Personally I like it, always been a fan of it at the lower levels when a PG may not have the skill to get the team into the offense without some help or breaking a press. Much more so at the high school level but college players struggle with it too. Either way, I'm not going to question it. There's a lot of options available and they're being selective so that tells me they really want the guys they're targeting and allowing to commit.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:23 pm

I think it's More like SMU's version of Wall/Bledsoe etc.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ojaipony » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:31 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:I know highlight vids can be misleading but Vick is incredibly athletic. Could be a great get. He holds offers from Memphis, Georgia Tech, Ole Miss and Tennessee.

LOVE Vick! Hope we get him! Know his game a little bit . . .
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby birddogger » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:39 pm

OhioBrownFan wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:
OhioBrownFan wrote:I did not know that. That makes much more sense. I've seen Shake play, I like his game but he was much more of a scorer than a true PG. I also questioned his ability to facilitate an offense at the 1. At any rate, that makes more sense now.

If you go back to Mudiay/Nic this year, it's beginning to look like Brown wants two lead guards on the floor. Take the kid who went to Wake, Crawford, another long lead guard who visited. They want two kids who can handle, distribute etc. Foster is a 3. I talked to a high major assistant about him, who simply said he's low risk, high reward.

Yeah, I'm starting to get that picture real clear. It's an interesting philosophy, I mean you always want two guys that can run the offense but Brown is taking it to the extreme. Personally I like it, always been a fan of it at the lower levels when a PG may not have the skill to get the team into the offense without some help or breaking a press. Much more so at the high school level but college players struggle with it too. Either way, I'm not going to question it. There's a lot of options available and they're being selective so that tells me they really want the guys they're targeting and allowing to commit.

I like this model. Few teams will be able to match up very well with it, and with our depth we will have great flexibility. Foul trouble won't be as much of a concern, either.
birddogger
All-American

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:10 pm

LB's version of the old NFL saw: best athlete available? I can't tell you how much I enjoy seeing a roster full of 6'4 to 6'8
guys who can run the floor, play defense and pound the boards. When we play the really huge teams we'll have to control tempo. When we have two or three guys capable of filling it up from outside we'll be a tough game for anybody…regardless of the size we give away.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:15 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:LB's version of the old NFL saw: best athlete available? I can't tell you how much I enjoy seeing a roster full of 6'4 to 6'8
guys who can run the floor, play defense and pound the boards. When we play the really huge teams we'll have to control tempo. When we have two or three guys capable of filling it up from outside we'll be a tough game for anybody…regardless of the size we give away.

And how may 6'8 guys do we have for next year after missing on out 6'8 targets this year?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:19 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
sadderbudweiser wrote:LB's version of the old NFL saw: best athlete available? I can't tell you how much I enjoy seeing a roster full of 6'4 to 6'8

And how may 6'8 guys do we have for next year after missing on out 6'8 targets this year?

Moore, Tolbert and Markus. You are worrying about depth on teams that are in some cases 3 cycles away. You realize since April we've added Martin, Tolbert, Emelogu, Barefield, Shake and Foster. That's a silly 6 months
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstangs22 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:23 pm

This is such a great point. I am very pleased with who we have been able to bring in.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:23 pm

hoopmanx wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:

Moore, Tolbert and Markus. You are worrying about depth on teams that are in some cases 3 cycles away. You realize since April we've added Martin, Tolbert, Emelogu, Barefield, Shake and Foster. That's a silly 6 months

Did not know Markus was coming back and did not know Tolbert had grown from 6'7 to 6'8. :lol:

If it is damage control you are doing it is effective. We win the natty next year. :mrgreen:
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby SMU89 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:36 pm

GiddyUp wrote:Who? Havent even heard of him yet

Get with the program.
Pay attention.
SMU89

Postby Treadway21 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:43 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:[quote="sadderbudweiser"]LB's version of the old NFL saw: best athlete available? I can't tell you how much I enjoy seeing a roster full of 6'4 to 6'8

Did not know Markus was coming back and did not know Tolbert had grown from 6'7 to 6'8. :lol:

If it is damage control you are doing it is effective. We win the natty next year. :mrgreen:[/quote]
Wow.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:33 pm

Hopefully we can score a grad transfer big after this season.

Chances are slim to none that MK is back in 15-16, if he even plays this year.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby CoxMustangFan » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:37 pm

hoopmanx wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:

Stop being so damn rational! We want to [deleted] about not landing four 5* guys one year after climbing out of total puke.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:46 pm

CMF, I don't care if we get a big that is a 3 star but we need at least one big 6'9 kid that can play a decent game in this class in my opinion.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:51 pm

Rebel10 wrote:CMF, I don't care if we get a big that is a 3 star but we need at lease one big 6'9 kid that can play a decent game in this class in my opinion.

Agreed- sounds like we're still in it for McDuffie from NJ who's 6'7" and still growing. Also, the JUCO kid Hamilton. I'd imagine if neither of those workout we'll go the grad transfer route after the season and focus on bigs for 2016- Bolden, Herard, etc
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball