PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mitchell down to two: SMU & Baylor

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Mitchell down to two: SMU & Baylor

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:27 am

“@3ricHampford: 2015 Rockdale (TX) G Wendell Mitchell narrows his list to two schools; sets visits. http://dlvr.it/7GpyJ4”
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Mitchell down to two: SMU & Baylor

Postby OhioBrownFan » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:48 am

I'd be shocked if he's a take at this point. How many combo guards does the team need? Other much more pressing areas.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:07 am

Don't we have something like 6 scholarships available for the 2015 class? There is nothing wrong with filling it with guys who can play. It's pretty awesome for SMU to be at the point where a top 150 player is a luxury/couldn't make the floor of our team.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU 86 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:57 am

Pony_Law wrote:Don't we have something like 6 scholarships available for the 2015 class? There is nothing wrong with filling it with guys who can play. It's pretty awesome for SMU to be at the point where a top 150 player is a luxury/couldn't make the floor of our team.

As OBF said we have needs we need to be addressed rather than luxuries on the bench. That will not win a national championship. We have 5 scholarship available at the moment.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby SMU 86 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:59 am

OhioBrownFan wrote:I'd be shocked if he's a take at this point. How many combo guards does the team need? Other much more pressing areas.

Agree. From what it looks like we may take 4 guards and 1 small forward.

SMU 86

Postby GiddyUp » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:09 pm

Who? Havent even heard of him yet
GiddyUp

Postby OhioBrownFan » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:24 pm

SMU 86 wrote:
OhioBrownFan wrote:I'd be shocked if he's a take at this point. How many combo guards does the team need? Other much more pressing areas.

I have nothing wrong taking guards but they should be guards that address areas imo. Shake is another combo guard they just took. In all fairness, I haven't seen Mitchell play live so I don't know how good he really is but his tape looks like another combo guard.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:28 pm

Wendell Mitchell can fill it up, and we ARE taking another guard in this class. Foster is a 3, Barefield can play both 1 & 2, as can Shake. You take Vick or Mitchell if they want to commit, no questions asked, not Lott. You guys need to think less about position, more about acquiring kids w/length and athleticism, who can play.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:30 pm

OhioBrownFan wrote:
SMU 86 wrote:

I have nothing wrong taking guards but they should be guards that address areas imo. Shake is another combo guard they just took. In all fairness, I haven't seen Mitchell play live so I don't know how good he really is but his tape looks like another combo guard.

They think Shake is a 1, no two ways about it. They told Vick's people that Shake would be on the ball, and that they definitively still wanted a SG in this class.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU 86 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:34 pm

hoopmanx wrote:Wendell Mitchell can fill it up, and we ARE taking another guard in this class. Foster is a 3, Barefield can play both 1 & 2, as can Shake. You take Vick or Mitchell if they want to commit, no questions asked, not Lott. You guys need to think less about position, more about acquiring kids w/length and athleticism, who can play.

How tall and lanky is Mitchell regarding length?

SMU 86

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:36 pm

SMU 86 wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:Wendell Mitchell can fill it up, and we ARE taking another guard in this class. Foster is a 3, Barefield can play both 1 & 2, as can Shake. You take Vick or Mitchell if they want to commit, no questions asked, not Lott. You guys need to think less about position, more about acquiring kids w/length and athleticism, who can play.

How tall and lanky is Mitchell regarding length?

I think Mitchel is 6'3
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby OhioBrownFan » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:46 pm

hoopmanx wrote:
OhioBrownFan wrote:I have nothing wrong taking guards but they should be guards that address areas imo. Shake is another combo guard they just took. In all fairness, I haven't seen Mitchell play live so I don't know how good he really is but his tape looks like another combo guard.

They think Shake is a 1, no two ways about it. They told Vick's people that Shake would be on the ball, and that they definitively still wanted a SG in this class.

I did not know that. That makes much more sense. I've seen Shake play, I like his game but he was much more of a scorer than a true PG. I also questioned his ability to facilitate an offense at the 1. At any rate, that makes more sense now.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:50 pm

I know highlight vids can be misleading but Vick is incredibly athletic. Could be a great get. He holds offers from Memphis, Georgia Tech, Ole Miss and Tennessee.

LA_Mustang

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:53 pm

OhioBrownFan wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:
OhioBrownFan wrote:I have nothing wrong taking guards but they should be guards that address areas imo. Shake is another combo guard they just took. In all fairness, I haven't seen Mitchell play live so I don't know how good he really is but his tape looks like another combo guard.

I did not know that. That makes much more sense. I've seen Shake play, I like his game but he was much more of a scorer than a true PG. I also questioned his ability to facilitate an offense at the 1. At any rate, that makes more sense now.

If you go back to Mudiay/Nic this year, it's beginning to look like Brown wants two lead guards on the floor. Take the kid who went to Wake, Crawford, another long lead guard who visited. They want two kids who can handle, distribute etc. Foster is a 3. I talked to a high major assistant about him, who simply said he's low risk, high reward.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:56 pm

BTW, Vick is 6'5" and long.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BVlgFbM_E5E

LA_Mustang

Next

Return to Basketball