PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The team will be good

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: The team will be good

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:17 pm

ponyboy wrote:
sadderbudweiser wrote:Nobody wins it on paper. I like where we are going. It's not a straight line to the top.

Plus the top isn't even the top. UConn was not the best team in college basketball last year. Lots of luck involved. Just enjoy.

I will enjoy. But this is a message board so we are allowed to discuss.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyboy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:21 pm

Of course, man. I wasn't thinking of anyone in particular when I posted that. Keep the opinions coming.
ponyboy

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:26 pm

ponyboy wrote:Of course, man. I wasn't thinking of anyone in particular when I posted that. Keep the opinions coming.

No problem.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby ClickClack » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:32 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
ClickClack wrote:If the 6'10 guy off the bench you are referring to is Tyler Olander, he barely played last year especially during the tournament run. Wouldn't really use that as an example.

Deandre Daniels at 6'9 was a soft perimeter player, never played in the post and was out rebounded by Shabazz until the end of the season.

What about the way Brimah step up his game during the tournament? You forgot that.

As a diehard Uconn fan since 1994, trust me, I did not forget about Brimah. All I was addressing is your comment about all the height on Uconn...Uconn had 2 bigs and Phil Nolan was just for fouls and defense. At the begining of the year Uconn fans were greatly concerned about the lack of depth from the 4 and 5...but it didnt matter because Uconn played 3 and 4 guard sets with smothering defense and had unbelievable guard play. You can be a guard oriented team and have bigs that play defense and be successful. Uconn never ran their offense inside out/had set plays for the bigs.
ClickClack
All-American

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:04 pm

Rebel: I can't embed three quotes but here is my answer AND a question for you….

What type of player do we need next to help since we have a opening?[/quote]

I don't think there is anyone here who will say we don't need a big or two. I say we need a big or two. But here is the question for you: Should our need for a big keep us from taking a smaller player who can help us get closer to the top rung?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby JasonB » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:22 pm

Best player available and let LB figure out how to use them.

That said, you guys are looking for the 5 star player. a 5 star player ain't coming unless there is a hole to fill. Kentucky gets crazy classes every year because they have a bunch of 1 and dones, so they can load and replace. We had a shot at KF because he thought he could play right away. We had Mundiay because he was going to play right away. Nobody is looking at our roster thinking they can play right away, except the VT transfer.

Whenever MK finishes, then we can get a 5 star big. But everyone knows that LB is going to go hard, stress D, and go deep.

Load this think up with a ton of 4 stars and strong 3s and we are going to make deep tourney runs every year and have a shot at the NC, just like WS, Butler, and VCU.

Bigs are important, but the most important position IMHO moving forward is the wing, the three. With the hand check rule, that position eats fouls, and having someone who can dribble penetrate from the three sends you to the line non-stop. Because of that, the three is more guard than forward, and you end up with a smaller number of bigs on the roster. 13 scholarships means 5 bigs and 8 guards/wings. 9/4 if you plan to run small sometimes.
JasonB

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:38 pm

JasonB wrote:Best player available and let LB figure out how to use them.

That said, you guys are looking for the 5 star player. a 5 star player ain't coming unless there is a hole to fill. Kentucky gets crazy classes every year because they have a bunch of 1 and dones, so they can load and replace. We had a shot at KF because he thought he could play right away. We had Mundiay because he was going to play right away. Nobody is looking at our roster thinking they can play right away, except the VT transfer.

Whenever MK finishes, then we can get a 5 star big. But everyone knows that LB is going to go hard, stress D, and go deep.

Load this think up with a ton of 4 stars and strong 3s and we are going to make deep tourney runs every year and have a shot at the NC, just like WS, Butler, and VCU.

Bigs are important, but the most important position IMHO moving forward is the wing, the three. With the hand check rule, that position eats fouls, and having someone who can dribble penetrate from the three sends you to the line non-stop. Because of that, the three is more guard than forward, and you end up with a smaller number of bigs on the roster. 13 scholarships means 5 bigs and 8 guards/wings. 9/4 if you plan to run small sometimes.

As I said in the other post no one is necessarily looking for a 5 star big just one that can play a decent game so, a 3 star big is fine just like UConn's Amida Brimah.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby ClickClack » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:24 am

Rebel, yes a 3 star big like Brimah (who is going to be a lottery pick) is just fine!
ClickClack
All-American

Previous

Return to Basketball