PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Moody atmosphere did not help in recruiting this year

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Moody atmosphere did not help in recruiting this year

Postby JasonB » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:04 pm

SMU 86 wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:These threads blow w/teeth. We're on the verge of our best class is 30 years on paper

That would definitely mean a top 25 finish.

That is a really funny joke. Well done.

You could also look at it and say that our class this year wouldn't be anywhere close to what it is without the atmosphere. Or are you saying the kids who committed never watched a game?

The sky isn't falling. We aimed high and lost out at the last minute.

Thomas is a 6'9 PF. He looks at our roster and sees Tolbert, Moore, MK already in there as bigs. Sure, MK is an unknown coming back, but nobody knows what is going to happen there. Thomas can go to A&M and start. Same reasons we were supposed to get Mundiay this year and we got KF the year before that. The 20th rated recruit in the country doesn't look and say, boy I can provide great depth and grow. They want to start.

We have well regarded 3 and 4 star players in this class, and that is what we are going to get unless a clear starting position opens up. Outside of Frazier, this class would be considered an upgrade over Moore and Brown. So overall the level of player we are going after and the standard quality of player we are landing have improved.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:16 pm

JasonB wrote:
SMU 86 wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:These threads blow w/teeth. We're on the verge of our best class is 30 years on paper

You could also look at it and say that our class this year wouldn't be anywhere close to what it is without the atmosphere. Or are you saying the kids who committed never watched a game?

Thomas is a 6'9 PF. He looks at our roster and sees Tolbert, Moore, MK already in there as bigs. Sure, MK is an unknown coming back, but nobody knows what is going to happen there. Thomas can go to A&M and start. Same reasons we were supposed to get Mundiay this year and we got KF the year before that. The 20th rated recruit in the country doesn't look and say, boy I can provide great depth and grow. They want to start.

We have well regarded 3 and 4 star players in this class, and that is what we are going to get unless a clear starting position opens up. Outside of Frazier, this class would be considered an upgrade over Moore and Brown. So overall the level of player we are going after and the standard quality of player we are landing have improved.

Brown was a top 150 player and some places had Moore as a top 150 player. Moreira was a 4 star JUCO that was consider the top JUCO in the country. No one is saying the sky is falling but your basketball analysis is almost more off base than your football talent analysis.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Stallion » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:20 pm

both Shake Milton and Barefield have made a Top 100 team
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Treadway21 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:34 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
JasonB wrote:
SMU 86 wrote:[quote="hoopmanx"]These threads blow w/teeth. We're on the verge of our best class is 30 years on paper

Brown was a top 150 player and some places had Moore as a top 150 player. Moreira was a 4 star JUCO that was consider the top JUCO in the country. No one is saying the sky is falling but your basketball analysis is almost more off base than your football talent analysis.[/quote]

Then why are you so negative on every thread then back tracking when you get called on it by the guys who know better?
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:45 pm

Who knows better? It's all opinion. Don't remember back tracking but if you say it happened then you are the expert.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Treadway21 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:47 pm

Good come back.

I'll be waiting on your next thread with great anticipation.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:50 pm

Stallion wrote:both Shake Milton and Barefield have made a Top 100 team

They may have. What top 100 team are you referring to? And Moore and Browm were finalist for Illinois Mr. Basketball. To firmly say they are upgrades from that perspective and say it in a dogmatic way is a bit over the top imo.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:51 pm

Treadway21 wrote:Good come back.

I'll be waiting on your next thread with great anticipation.

No problem. :D
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Stallion » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:08 pm

Scout has Milton at 71

If you look at 247.com and look at Barefield's historic ranking he has dipped to 111 I think it was-but the graph has him much higher previously. It looks like he once was rated about No. 42. Scout, Rivals and others re-rank the Top 100 periodically and 247 graphs it historically. He also played in the NBA Top 100 Camp. He is No. 125 I think on Rivals
Last edited by Stallion on Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Lebanese4Life » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:13 am

Harry0569 wrote:I nominate this as one of the top 5 stupidest threads of the year.

Rebel makes over a jillion posts a day, more than half of which are r3tarded.
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:48 am

Bottom line, people who get overly fired up about missing political locals, don't understand the private, mid-sized, model for elite hoops. Not one national private that's ever done anything, just recruits their backyard. SMU basketball should look like the student body, some from Texas, some from each coast, a few in between.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CoxMustangFan » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:08 am

Lebanese4Life wrote:
Harry0569 wrote:I nominate this as one of the top 5 stupidest threads of the year.

Not going to say it's bad, but it does speak to unrealistic expectations people have for how quickly things should turn. It takes years and years of success to get your footing. Kids need to grow up seeing SMU as a destination. A couple good years of fans releasing bottled up angst against the likes of USF, Mempis, and Tulsa will likely not be enough for some recruits. We need that consistent presence as a top 25 team.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyKai » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:38 am

bump
PonyKai

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:07 am

CoxMustangFan wrote:
Lebanese4Life wrote:

Not going to say it's bad, but it does speak to unrealistic expectations people have for how quickly things should turn. It takes years and years of success to get your footing. Kids need to grow up seeing SMU as a destination. A couple good years of fans releasing bottled up angst against the likes of USF, Mempis, and Tulsa will likely not be enough for some recruits. We need that consistent presence as a top 25 team.

So thing we might get one kid even if he was or was not highly regarded who attended a game in a newly renovated nice arena like Moody is unrealistic expectations? I agree that we need to be up in rankings for a couple of years but we have Larry Brown. How did aTm do it?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Blunt Pony » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:10 am

Rebel is beating the same drum every day and I have been guilty of being sucked in a few times, but really, is anyone disappointed with where we are? We got screwed by the committee last year or it would have been the first time in 20 years that we were in the NCAA tourney. This program is light years ahead of where we were 3 years ago. Now we have folks on board saying we are not capable of amassing enough talent to win NATIONAL Championships?? I know that is what we all would love to see and we are certainly heading in the right direction. We are a top 25 team that has sold out it's season tickets and there is a ton of excitement in the air. As a 25 year fan of SMU I am thrilled with where we are and where we are going. Not a sunshiner, as I have been as down on the program as anyone, but let's judge the product on the floor and support the guys that are on our roster instead of pining for guys that are committed somewhere else. Our roster is pretty solid but I know the grass is always greener...
Blunt Pony
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball