PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Moody atmosphere did not help in recruiting this year

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Moody atmosphere did not help in recruiting this year

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:23 pm

No uncommitted recruit that visited Moody committed to SMU in this class. Barefield was committed before he came to visited SMU, Foster and Milton just visited SMU over the past couple of months. I thought all the name chanting and sold out atmosphere would help. I guess recruits are looking at other things that are more important and alluring to them.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Moody atmosphere did not help in recruiting this year

Postby gostangs » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:31 pm

Like cash.
gostangs

Postby SMU1523 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:32 pm

Interesting point. I would have thought having a top 10 atmosphere would have been a major draw.
SMU1523
Heisman

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:10 pm

It was our first year of being good. As the product on the floor continues to rise, the atmosphere will indeed become a minor factor, but a valuable one.
Pony ^

Postby skyscraper » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:15 pm

So in football it's a big deal that we play in an empty stadium w/wine-sipping fans who don't clap.
In Moody it's loud, rowdy and a top-notch atmosphere ---- and it doesn't matter.
OK.....
skyscraper

Postby whitwiki » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:21 pm

What matters is how much we pay their handlers and what shoe deal we have
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby GiddyUp » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:27 pm

what a dumb statement. It's all about connections in hoops. If our fball stadium rocked like this, that would make a diff in recruiting.
GiddyUp

Postby ponydawg » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:30 pm

Think this a reach. Recruits saw the atmosphere on tv, heard people write, tweet, talk about it. It helped.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:32 pm

ponydawg wrote:Think this a reach. Recruits saw the atmosphere on tv, heard people write, tweet, talk about it. It helped.

Apparently it did not help enough to get one to commit to SMU in this class.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Cardinal Puff » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:33 pm

Moody is just one of the factors which put us in the hunt for the top talent. A few more years of success and we will be an established destination for top players. I remain amazed at our success and will not let my feeling for what has happened here in such a short time be lessened by a couple of players not coming to SMU.
Cardinal Puff
Varsity

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:36 pm

Cardinal Puff wrote:Moody is just one of the factors which put us in the hunt for the top talent. A few more years of success and we will be an established destination for top players. I remain amazed at our success and will not let my feeling for what has happened here in such a short time be lessened by a couple of players not coming to SMU.

It was more than a couple of players than did not come here that went to Moody to see games but over the years it may very well get better.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:37 pm

whitwiki wrote:What matters is how much we pay their handlers and what shoe deal we have

:idea:
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby ponydawg » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:41 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
ponydawg wrote:Think this a reach. Recruits saw the atmosphere on tv, heard people write, tweet, talk about it. It helped.

Apparently it did not help enough yo get one to commit to SMU in this class.

You could also say Moody atmosphere helped land recruits who heard, watched, or saw highlights of Moody madness/magic. Program is still rising faster than anyone thought. I appreciate your concern, but don't forget to enjoy where we are. I was reading some old articles about what a mistake LB was to hire and how "stupid" SMU was for over paying him and his assistants. Glad they were all wrong.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:48 pm

We have to show it wasn't a one year wonder. We didn't even make the tourney (granted it was a total sham). SMU has a real opportunity to establish itself as a legitimate basketball program this season. Starting the year in the Top 25 with several high profile matchups both at home and on the road. Win and continue to make Moody a house of horrors for opponents and we'll start to come out on top of these recruiting battles.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:49 pm

ponydawg wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:

Apparently it did not help enough yo get one to commit to SMU in this class.

You could also say Moody atmosphere helped land recruits who heard, watched, or saw highlights of Moody madness/magic. Program is still rising faster than anyone thought. I appreciate your concern, but don't forget to enjoy where we are. I was reading some old articles about what a mistake LB was to hire and how "stupid" SMU was for over paying him and his assistants. Glad they were all wrong.

I guess what you are saying is we got more recruits from seeing Moody on TV than recruits actually coming to the game. I guess we will be doing more long distance TV recruiting.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Next

Return to Basketball