PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sedrick Barefield

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Sedrick Barefield

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:28 am

Let us not forget, we took his verbal a long time ago, before Spring AAU. He's big time, a lot of Andre Miller in his game. Last night on twitter, EJ said he preferred Jawun Evans to Barefield. Barefield's Mom, who represents that family well and w/class, favorited the tweet. There's a lot to recruiting. Barefield is a monster that the staff was all over. Had a great summer. Just as important, he has a seemingly great family, lots of support, structure, academics and elite basketball. His Dad balled, his Mom is professionally athletic w/advanced knowledge of things like nutrition etc.

Who are you taking, a great talent in Jawun Evans, that may or may not get it, or a great talent like Barefield that has all the tools at his disposal. Who represents the university better, probably gets a degree, stays eligible etc. Lots to recruiting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY33duScAgQ
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Sedrick Barefield

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:34 am

Hoop- curious as to why Barefield dropped in the rankings? Everything I'd heard suggested he had a monster summer on the AAU circuit

Looking forward to seeing him and Shake in our backcourt for years to come...could be our Boatwright/Napier
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Tbuck12 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:41 am

As for the rest of the class...

I thought I read somewhere that Shake had close to a 4.0 GPA.

J Foster was commited to Rice before SMU

Can't hurt having a class that has solid footing from academic side.
Tbuck12
Junior Varsity

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:55 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:Hoop- curious as to why Barefield dropped in the rankings? Everything I'd heard suggested he had a monster summer on the AAU circuit

Looking forward to seeing him and Shake in our backcourt for years to come...could be our Boatwright/Napier

Barefield dropped b/c he committed pre-circuit to a non-blue blood. Nobody scouted him unless they were there for other kids, and he runs on the depleted Adidas Circuit. Both EYBL and UA Association are regarded as better leagues right now. He showed out at camps
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Harry0569 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:05 am

If he is anything like Professor Andre Miller, PHD we, my friends, have gotten a FANTASTIC player.

GIVE ME THAT OLD MAN [deleted] OUT POST UP GAME
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby Pony ^ » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:53 am

pumped about Sed. And from what I can tell through social media he is pumped about SMU. Can't wait to see him suit up with our new guys
Pony ^

Postby ojaipony » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:24 am

I personally know the family (worked with the mom). Although I had absolutely no contact with her regarding his commitment to SMU in any way whatsoever (didn't even know he was considering us until after he committed), I can definitely validate what hoop said about the family. Very athletic, very smart/competitive, and well connected in the sports/fitness world. He is a great get no doubt about it. He will put in the work and maximize his potential.
ojaipony

Postby Smerkins » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:41 am

This kid is the man. I think we have built a great class of 3 kids so far who will not only ball, but represent the university well.
Smerkins
Varsity

Postby ojaipony » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:25 pm

Some more highlights - shows his competitiveness. Fundamentally solid (shooting motion/elbows, keeps ball low and tight in traffic). Short interview at end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieAdOQLu9dw
ojaipony

Postby OhioBrownFan » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:07 pm

hoopmanx wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:Hoop- curious as to why Barefield dropped in the rankings? Everything I'd heard suggested he had a monster summer on the AAU circuit

Barefield dropped b/c he committed pre-circuit to a non-blue blood. Nobody scouted him unless they were there for other kids, and he runs on the depleted Adidas Circuit. Both EYBL and UA Association are regarded as better leagues right now. He showed out at camps

This sums it up. I didn't go to or watch one Adidas tournament except to see Bragg.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby PonyKris89 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:39 pm

Definitely reminds me of Andre Miller, not blazingly fast, but very controlled and crafty.

Thanks for the explanation on his rating HoopManx. I had asked( I believe on Rivals) why
he had dropped to 3 Stars even though he was dominating after his commit.
That asplains it.
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

Postby ojaipony » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:32 pm

LB and KT had in home / at the house today with the fam.
ojaipony

Postby stangsup4 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:24 am

ojaipony wrote:LB and KT had in home / at the house today with the fam.

I respect LB's grind so much. Guy is 74 years old and is still blazing on the recruiting trail at every opportunity.

I guess being able to fly on the PJ everywhere helps..
stangsup4
All-American

Return to Basketball