PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TT game

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

TT game

Postby Nacho » Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:26 am

Tech is favored by 11 1/2 points tonight. Hop said in the DMN that his right hip flexor following the TCU game "hurts real bad." I'm afraid it's not looking good for tonight fellas. I wish we were at full strength. Knight whatever you think of him is a great coach. We will probably get a little hide-tanning laid on us. 11 1/2 may be a tad much though if Hop can play and contribute substantially.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: TT game

Postby ClassOf81 » Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:09 pm

Here's the DMN's take on the game:

SMU, Texas Tech like prospects in this one
11/26/2002
From Staff and Wire Reports

LUBBOCK – Not that he's envious, but Texas Tech coach Bob Knight would like to do exactly what Mike Dement has done at SMU.

Dement generated excitement by signing Lincoln guard Bryan Hopkins, one of the most highly-touted recruits in SMU history. Knight would like to reach into Dallas and grab some potential program cornerstones, too.

That's why Tuesday's nonconference game between the two schools is so interesting. Top recruits can flip on their television sets and see two Texas-based schools go at it while knowing that Dement and Knight will soon be coming after them.

"This is a state that may very well produce as many college basketball prospects for this level of play as any state in the country," Knight said.

Several Dallas natives will play key roles in the matchup at United Spirit Arena.

Carter's Andre Emmett, an all-Big 12 pick last season, was Tech's leading scorer last season and put up 23 in an 85-76 season-opening victory over North Carolina-Wilmington. Rockwall's Nathan Doudney is also one of the Red Raiders' best 3-point shooting threats.

Hopkins posted a double-double (12 points, 10 assists) in his collegiate debut against TCU, an 87-84 overtime win for the Mustangs. Kimball's Quinton Ross poured in 28 points on 10-of-20 shooting.

Lancaster's Justin Isham, Kennedale's Nigel Smith and Lewisville's Brian Miller are all expected to see action against Tech as well.

– Brian Davis

SMU (1-0) vs. Texas Tech (1-0), 8:00 p.m. Tuesday, United Spirit Arena, Lubbock (Ch. 52/KSKY-AM 660)
ClassOf81
Heisman

Re: TT game

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:58 pm

11 pts..hmm. I don't see much of an answer for Emmitt...he is quite a player. They did lose Ellis who was a stud. W/out Hopkins being healthy..I hate to say it but this could get ugly...not to mention Knight outcoaching Dement. I hope I am wrong Image
We HAVE to hit more 3's tonight. I like the fact that we'll get experience in a rowdy crowd.

Go Mustangs!
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Basketball