PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

MK

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: MK

Postby Pony ^ » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:36 pm

we're looking at you RGT..
Pony ^
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUstangs22 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:55 pm

Pony ^ wrote:we're looking at you RGT..

Yes we are... this needs to happen. Especially with everything we have had to put up with.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby NastyStang » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:01 am

Pony_Law wrote:
NastyStang wrote:
texasmustang10 wrote:These mishaps are too frequent to be called poor luck

^This! Act like a big boy school and make this work SMU.

I think SMU is doing all it can from an institutional stand point to get kids eligible. They have lowered admissions standards to the minimum required by the NCAA, and they give kids access to easier majors and lots of academic support. Other than blatantly cheating on academic requirements (ala what happened at UNC), which I don't think even powerhouse schools do, what more can SMU do? At some point this is on the kid who simply may not be able to make the grades or just doesn't take it seriously. If SMU can keep all of the other kids eligible (some of whom came from extremely poor educational backgrounds) my guess is this is 100% on MK. This doesn't mean MK is a bad kid but pretty much every basketball program deals with this from time to time.

Guarantee there are 8 MK's on Memphis who don't attend class and will be playing this Fall. I'm not for cheating but lets take college hoops for what it is today. Big Boy schools get guys like MK cleared.
NastyStang
Varsity

Postby NewAgeMustange » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:25 am

http://www.smu.edu/Simmons/AreasOfStudy/APW/APSM_major

There found a degree program for the guys, something nice, easy and something as an athlete they are probably interested in learning. %$*#ing department think smarter, actually counsel these kids. They don't know what they are doing. But then again I always told my counselor what I was going to take and he just signed off on it, never had a problem until I had to get a 2nd one for my other major and then she tried to cut back the science classes.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
NewAgeMustange
Varsity

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:27 am

NewAgeMustange wrote:http://www.smu.edu/Simmons/AreasOfStudy/APW/APSM_major

There found a degree program for the guys, something nice, easy and something as an athlete they are probably interested in learning. %$*#ing department think smarter, actually counsel these kids. They don't know what they are doing. But then again I always told my counselor what I was going to take and he just signed off on it, never had a problem until I had to get a 2nd one for my other major and then she tried to cut back the science classes.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Pretty much all of them are majoring in that. Other than MK
RGV Pony

Postby SMUstangs22 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:40 am

This needs to happen. To me this is a direct indication of the schools true support of athletics. We will see how it plays out.

Fyi not sure if he could have switched his major from Villanova. I have no idea but just a thought.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:55 am

SMU Admission Office ‏@SMUAdmission Oct 24

@SMU is #1 on @usatodaycollege's list of 10 colleges with the highest paid psychology graduates http://usat.ly/1njyWdT #BeAMustang
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby ojaipony » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:59 am

Reality or not, this just plays into those arguing that SMU's commitment is questionable due to the "academics issues" . . .
ojaipony

Postby diveonthefloor2014 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:50 pm

Let's help him get eligible THE RIGHT WAY!

UNC is about to receive a nightmare of a penalty for doing it the wrong way.

I know a young man who took a class with MK last summer. SMU isn't the problem. MK's attitude about school was the problem.
Hopefully the prospect of being off the team through the end of the semester will change the attitude enough that MK can do the necessary work to regain eligibility. SMU is helping him in every legit way it can.
diveonthefloor2014
Recruit

Postby whitwiki » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:32 pm

ojaipony wrote:Reality or not, this just plays into those arguing that SMU's commitment is questionable due to the "academics issues" . . .

If you think about it, it's a bit ludicrous that this would seem to be a negative thing for a school...
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:15 pm

diveonthefloor2014 wrote:Let's help him get eligible THE RIGHT WAY!

I know a young man who took a class with MK last summer. SMU isn't the problem. MK's attitude about school was the problem.
Hopefully the prospect of being off the team through the end of the semester will change the attitude enough that MK can do the necessary work to regain eligibility. SMU is helping him in every legit way it can.

You realize that MK is probably in the brink of earning 10x more $$$ than any of his fellow classmates and it wont be due to his knowledge of Egyptian history. Why should SMU deprive him of his ability to earn income while at the same time adversely impacting our BB program.

If he's a thug committing crimes, I'm with you.

That's not MK and I want him on the court in November.
SoCal_Pony

Postby SMU1523 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:15 am

Well, it seems to me the safe thing for MK would to have been to major in APSM, a more athlete friendly major. History at a school like SMU will be extremely difficult to some one who might not be on a collegiate reading level. I hope he gets eligible. I respect the kid if he really wants to challenge himself academically, but even at SMU I feel they wouldn't punish a kid if he was putting in maximum effort. But, I could be wrong.
SMU1523
Heisman

Postby SMUstangs22 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:58 am

It just doesn't seem right. In this case we are being a road block for a young mans success.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyFan32 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:04 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:
diveonthefloor2014 wrote:Let's help him get eligible THE RIGHT WAY!

You realize that MK is probably in the brink of earning 10x more $$$ than any of his fellow classmates and it wont be due to his knowledge of Egyptian history. Why should SMU deprive him of his ability to earn income while at the same time adversely impacting our BB program.

If he's a thug committing crimes, I'm with you.

That's not MK and I want him on the court in November.

In light of the UNC thing, this kind of bugs me. I get that you have to play with the big boys, but you can't completely turn a blind eye when someone doesn't put in the effort on the academic side. That kind of thing results in worse repercussions than losing one (albeit very important) player. Especially for a school like us that isn't a cash cow for the AAC/NCAA.

I think Markus is particularly impacted (more so than the younger guys) by our absolute dragging our feet to get the new majors/curriculums set up in the education school. Probably had to declare a major before those were available, and can't go back and change the missed work now. Hopefully none of the guys finds themselves in a similar spot going forward. Of course, that's speculation on my part.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby SMUstangs22 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:09 am

UNC better get the freakin hammer
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball