PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

MK

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: MK

Postby ojaipony » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:32 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:
diveonthefloor2014 wrote:Let's help him get eligible THE RIGHT WAY!

UNC is about to receive a nightmare of a penalty for doing it the wrong way.

I know a young man who took a class with MK last summer. SMU isn't the problem. MK's attitude about school was the problem.
Hopefully the prospect of being off the team through the end of the semester will change the attitude enough that MK can do the necessary work to regain eligibility. SMU is helping him in every legit way it can.

You realize that MK is probably in the brink of earning 10x more $$$ than any of his fellow classmates and it wont be due to his knowledge of Egyptian history. Why should SMU deprive him of his ability to earn income while at the same time adversely impacting our BB program.

If he's a thug committing crimes, I'm with you.

That's not MK and I want him on the court in November.

Couldn't agree with this more.
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smoodtwice » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:34 am

I have a friend who is a history professor at SMU, and he had MK in one of his classes. My friend said that MK was a delight to have in his class, and that MK was a good student. My friend also said that MK told my friend that he was at least part of the reason for MK's desire to be a history major.

That being said, my friend is incredibly interesting and is quite funny in the way he presents history. Some might even call it irreverent. I am not a history major, but my friend tells all kinds of interesting and funny stories that he lectures on in class.

However, I had a couple history classes at SMU myself and can tell you that my friend is the exception to the rule at SMU. Some of the other professors are arrogant, uninteresting, and not understanding of anything outside of the classroom. Also, I know that my friend lectures on what he expects you to know. Other professors? Not so much. Such classes may be much more difficult if your reading level is below par.
“Football combines two of the worst things in American life. It is violence punctuated by committee meetings.” ― George F. Will
smoodtwice
Scout Team

Postby SMUstangs22 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:39 am

smoodtwice wrote:I have a friend who is a history professor at SMU, and he had MK in one of his classes. My friend said that MK was a delight to have in his class, and that MK was a good student. My friend also said that MK told my friend that he was at least part of the reason for MK's desire to be a history major. That being said, my friend is incredibly interesting and is quite funny in the way he presents history. Some might even call it irreverent. I am not a history major, but my friend tells all kinds of interesting and funny stories that he lectures on in class. However, I had a couple history classes at SMU myself and can tell you that my friend is the exception to the rule at SMU. Some of the other professors are arrogant, uninteresting, and not understanding of anything outside of the classroom.

I've had some of those classes. The professor had said in class he thinks there should be no athletics program at SMU and all of the interest in it was ridiculous. He was tough, hope MK isn't in a similar situation.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby smoodtwice » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:47 am

SMUstangs22 wrote:
smoodtwice wrote:I have a friend who is a history professor at SMU, and he had MK in one of his classes. My friend said that MK was a delight to have in his class, and that MK was a good student. My friend also said that MK told my friend that he was at least part of the reason for MK's desire to be a history major. That being said, my friend is incredibly interesting and is quite funny in the way he presents history. Some might even call it irreverent. I am not a history major, but my friend tells all kinds of interesting and funny stories that he lectures on in class. However, I had a couple history classes at SMU myself and can tell you that my friend is the exception to the rule at SMU. Some of the other professors are arrogant, uninteresting, and not understanding of anything outside of the classroom.

I've had some of those classes. Professor Neiwyck (sp) had said in class he thinks there should be no athletics program at SMU and all of the interest in it was ridiculous. He was tough, hope MK isn't in a similar situation.

Had 2 1/2 weeks to write a 20 plus page paper in summer school.

I had professor Niewyk and learned alot in his class. However, it was probably the hardest I had to work to get a decent (not great) grade in all of undergrad. He also gave quizzes every week that were purely based on the reading that he had not lectured on yet. He is not a professor that athletes should be taking.

He also singles out a few people that he seems to pick on throughout the semester. Luckily, I was not one of them, but if MK had him and was one of them, no wonder MK is struggling to stay eligible. Also, with Niewyk's feelings for athletics, I would not be surprised if a bball player was automatically one of the picked on ones.
Last edited by smoodtwice on Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Football combines two of the worst things in American life. It is violence punctuated by committee meetings.” ― George F. Will
smoodtwice
Scout Team

Postby SMUstangs22 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:01 am

I really enjoyed the class. No doubt about it. It was very tough. However, he hates SMU athletics.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU Section F » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:15 am

SMUstangs22 wrote:I really enjoyed the class. No doubt about it. It was very tough. However, he hates SMU athletics.

He is an excellent professor that teaches interesting and challenging courses. I'd recommend him to just about anyone.

Except athletes, particularly those receiving scholarships to play "revenue" sports.

Was/is Markus really taking his class? Or is this just conjecture?
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby blackoutpony » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:16 am

diveonthefloor2014 wrote:Let's help him get eligible THE RIGHT WAY!

UNC is about to receive a nightmare of a penalty for doing it the wrong way.

I know a young man who took a class with MK last summer. SMU isn't the problem. MK's attitude about school was the problem.
Hopefully the prospect of being off the team through the end of the semester will change the attitude enough that MK can do the necessary work to regain eligibility. SMU is helping him in every legit way it can.

My girlfriend had two separate classes with him last year (one fall, one spring) and I can tell you that what you're saying is complete crap. He tried hard, he came to class, and he paid attention just as much as anyone else. The one thing she did mention was how much harder he said SMU was than Villanova and that he thought that was really tough.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby AustinPerson » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:26 am

It seems like discussing a student's academic situation isn't wise, kind of like a HIPAA situation. Perhaps specifics of his academics shouldn't be discussed.

Also, did someone on here state that history professors at SMU are "uninteresting" people? Yet somebody who works for a corporation in the Dallas suburbs and considers sitting on a couch watching ESPN all night and taking kids to youth soccer games on the weekends is an interesting person?
AustinPerson
All-American

Postby smoodtwice » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:41 am

AustinPerson wrote:It seems like discussing a student's academic situation isn't wise, kind of like a HIPAA situation. Perhaps specifics of his academics shouldn't be discussed.

Also, did someone on here state that history professors at SMU are "uninteresting" people? Yet somebody who works for a corporation in the Dallas suburbs and considers sitting on a couch watching ESPN all night and taking kids to youth soccer games on the weekends is an interesting person?

Not really sure I understand the point of your post. I guess you are referring to FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) issues related to confidentiality of academic records. However, I think we are in the ok realm of discussion. No one is talking about confidential information. In fact, it appears that no one has any information about MK's academics other than the impression that MK is a good student (with 1 dissenter).

Again, I am not sure about your point, but I also said that some history professors were uninteresting. Let me clarify. I meant that some professors merely phone it in. I guess you are deciding what my ideas of interesting are based on what you thought I found was interesting. (By the way I do not find interesting nor do I do a single one of the things you listed). I was merely saying that when a professor is phoning it in, it is hard for students to stay interested or motivated in a class. Honestly, I bet even people interested in history would find disinterested lecturers to be uninteresting.
smoodtwice
Scout Team

Postby SMUstangs22 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:52 am

It was just general discussion. Using him as an example of some professors. In no way was the example specifically tied to MK so no worries. I wouldn't disclose such information if I knew.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby Junior » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:13 pm

well, my barber knows a guy who is friends with a girl who saw Ferris at the 21 Flavors...
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby Stallion » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:26 pm

"I think Markus is particularly impacted (more so than the younger guys) by our absolute dragging our feet to get the new majors/curriculums set up in the education school. Probably had to declare a major before those were available, and can't go back and change the missed work now. Hopefully none of the guys finds themselves in a similar spot going forward. Of course, that's speculation on my part.[/quote]

Factually incorrect-a majority of the Basketball team was majoring in Sports Management/Applied Physiology before Markus ever set foot on campus-I posted a bunch of them on ponyfans. Now it could be he started on his History Degree at Villanova and stayed the course. It may be that he likes History. Here's a screen grab of a google search I have for finding these guys. SMU Basketball includes declared majors in their roster. Note earlier guys like Mike Walker, Nykundi, Myles Luttman, London Giles and a just about the entire present lineup of kids who have declared major

https://www.google.com/search?sourceid= ... SYRFCsyHj0
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Fresno Mustang » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:55 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:what I don't understand is why is he majoring in History if he's not necessarily at that level? I mean where is his counselor.

the counselors at smu are worthless, there should be an employee at smu dedicated to putting athletes in classes that will keep them eligible.
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby Stallion » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:01 pm

Professor James Hopkins was the vocal leader of the anti-athletic crowd at the time of the Death Penalty-is he still there. I think he might have been the Chairman of the Faculty senate or its representative or something. That being said he was one of the truly outstanding professors at SMU and would bend over backwards to help a student learn. He had high expectations though and required heavy reading. I heard him speak at an open all-school University Symposium debating whether SMU should continue to offer athletic scholarships which Kenneth Pye was still debating in 1991-not just 1989. Hopkins opined that we should have club sports and suggested that for Homecoming we could have rowing/regatta club competition like he experienced at Oxford on the River Thames. Facepalm
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Terry Webster » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:53 pm

I guess SMU needs to be like UCinci and hire one of these guys for MK and others.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/ ... /18121969/
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball