PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

MK

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: MK

Postby Palmskee » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:24 pm

Stallion wrote:Professor James Hopkins was the vocal leader of the anti-athletic crowd at the time of the Death Penalty-is he still there. I think he might have been the Chairman of the Faculty senate or its representative or something. That being said he was one of the truly outstanding professors at SMU and would bend over backwards to help a student learn. He had high expectations though and required heavy reading. I heard him speak at an open all-school University Symposium debating whether SMU should continue to offer athletic scholarships which Kenneth Pye was still debating in 1991-not just 1989. Hopkins opined that we should have club sports and suggested that for Homecoming we could have rowing/regatta club competition like he experienced at Oxford on the River Thames. Facepalm

Not sure if its relevant in discussion about MK (don't know if he has had Hopkins), but Prof Hopkins is still at SMU. I had him several years ago and he was a great professor, but I'm not surprised he is in favor of moving more toward an Oxford model of athletics.

I graduated in May and majored in both History and Finance. Being a history major isn't hard if you are a speed reader and can move through reading quickly while retaining it, but depending on your professor, once you hit your Junior and Senior Seminar classes, you will get eaten alive if you're not staying current.

IF MK is a History major because he likes History I think that's awesome. Just hope we have both tutors at the ALEC as well as professors that are willing and able to get him back on track to eligibility.
Palmskee
Scout Team

Re: MK

Postby SMU 86 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:36 pm

Palmskee wrote:
Stallion wrote:Professor James Hopkins was the vocal leader of the anti-athletic crowd at the time of the Death Penalty-is he still there. I think he might have been the Chairman of the Faculty senate or its representative or something. That being said he was one of the truly outstanding professors at SMU and would bend over backwards to help a student learn. He had high expectations though and required heavy reading. I heard him speak at an open all-school University Symposium debating whether SMU should continue to offer athletic scholarships which Kenneth Pye was still debating in 1991-not just 1989. Hopkins opined that we should have club sports and suggested that for Homecoming we could have rowing/regatta club competition like he experienced at Oxford on the River Thames. Facepalm

Not sure if its relevant in discussion about MK (don't know if he has had Hopkins), but Prof Hopkins is still at SMU. I had him several years ago and he was a great professor, but I'm not surprised he is in favor of moving more toward an Oxford model of athletics.

I graduated in May and majored in both History and Finance. Being a history major isn't hard if you are a speed reader and can move through reading quickly while retaining it, but depending on your professor, once you hit your Junior and Senior Seminar classes, you will get eaten alive if you're not staying current.

IF MK is a History major because he likes History I think that's awesome. Just hope we have both tutors at the ALEC as well as professors that are willing and able to get him back on track to eligibility.

Thanks for the insight. Another poster indicated that MK can here reading at a 7th grade reading level so I would not think that he would be a speed reader. That might be the issue here.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Basketball