PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mavs @ Spurs NBA opener

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Mavs @ Spurs NBA opener

Postby OhioBrownFan » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:35 pm

hoopmanx wrote:you guys are pretty fired up for a team thats maybe 6th best in the west

:lol: Was thinking the same thing. Not even sure how they made the run at the Spurs they did last year after limping into the playoffs at the 8-slot.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:51 pm

OhioBrownFan wrote: Was thinking the same thing. Not even sure how they made the run at the Spurs they did last year after limping into the playoffs

Same question to you. For the record, give me 5 better teams in the West.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Smerkins » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:20 pm

I think the Mavs are the one team in the west that could end up as a 3, 5 or 8. Just depends on if Dirk can be Dirk, PG core can be a little better than mediocre, and TC stay healthy.
Smerkins
Varsity

Postby OhioBrownFan » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:45 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:
OhioBrownFan wrote: Was thinking the same thing. Not even sure how they made the run at the Spurs they did last year after limping into the playoffs

Same question to you. For the record, give me 5 better teams in the West.

Spurs, Thunder, Clips, then big drop-off with a bunch of good teams that don't have a realistic chance of getting to the Finals. Rockets and Blazers are better in that group though as well. It's not like the Mavs aren't good, they're just a good team without a real chance of getting there. Plus they're likely going to have a tough route to even get to the WC Finals given where they will fall seed-wise. Just my opinion but they're a team with aging superstars and a long season will wear anyone down. There's really 4 teams in the entire league with a legit shot of winning the title. The rest is just a mix of decent to good teams.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby smusic 00 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:04 am

Mavs are legit this year. Top 5 in the west and anything can happen in WC playoffs.
smusic 00

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:32 am

Spurs, Clips, Thunder, then Blazers, Rockets, Grizz, Mavs in some sort of order. Like everyone else said, you are basically playing out a string w/the MAvs, Should they even achieve, they are first or second round casualties. You barely even have to watch the year.

That said, I'm a Bullets fan, so I'm in the same boat, except our talent is actually young
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:25 am

smusic 00 wrote:Mavs are legit this year. Top 5 in the west and anything can happen in WC playoffs.

This ^

LA_Mustang

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:56 am

OhioBrownFan wrote:Spurs, Thunder, Clips, then big drop-off with a bunch of good teams that don't have a realistic chance of getting to the Finals. Rockets and Blazers are better in that group though as well. It's not like the Mavs aren't good, they're just a good team without a real chance of getting there. Plus they're likely going to have a tough route to even get to the WC Finals given where they will fall seed-wise. Just my opinion but they're a team with aging superstars and a long season will wear anyone down. There's really 4 teams in the entire league with a legit shot of winning the title. The rest is just a mix of decent to good teams.

No one thought the Mavs had a real chance of getting there in 2011 either. Adding TC and Jameer gives them the toughness they've lack the last couple of years. Plus, I believe we are the deepest team in the league. All the teams you mentioned have faults - Spurs - old (and I know, but it is going to catch up with them eventually). Thunder - obviously the KD injury and Westbrook is a ticking time bomb. Clip - every year they are a good team but can't close series. CP3 choked big time last year against OKC, Blake is flashy but overrated. And Houston - please, get out of the 1st round once and we'll talk. Blazers and GS - you have to play defense in the playoffs, neither of these two teams have shown the ability to do that.

As for the Mavs, they improved a team this off season that pushed the champs to seven games last year. One other huge key I didn't mention is the coach. Carlisle is right up there with Pop. The guy is about as good as it gets.

LA_Mustang

Postby Pony ^ » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:36 am

Westbrook broke his hand last night. 4-6 wks FYI
Pony ^

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:42 am

WOW! The curse of the Supersonics.

LA_Mustang

Postby stangsup4 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:07 am

Find it hilarious that everyone just assumes the Rockets are out of it because they lost Chandler Parsons. Anyone who watches them knows that Trevor Ariza is a much better fit for the roster currently constructed.
stangsup4
All-American

Postby OhioBrownFan » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:01 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:
OhioBrownFan wrote:Spurs, Thunder, Clips, then big drop-off with a bunch of good teams that don't have a realistic chance of getting to the Finals. Rockets and Blazers are better in that group though as well. It's not like the Mavs aren't good, they're just a good team without a real chance of getting there. Plus they're likely going to have a tough route to even get to the WC Finals given where they will fall seed-wise. Just my opinion but they're a team with aging superstars and a long season will wear anyone down. There's really 4 teams in the entire league with a legit shot of winning the title. The rest is just a mix of decent to good teams.

No one thought the Mavs had a real chance of getting there in 2011 either. Adding TC and Jameer gives them the toughness they've lack the last couple of years. Plus, I believe we are the deepest team in the league. All the teams you mentioned have faults - Spurs - old (and I know, but it is going to catch up with them eventually). Thunder - obviously the KD injury and Westbrook is a ticking time bomb. Clip - every year they are a good team but can't close series. CP3 choked big time last year against OKC, Blake is flashy but overrated. And Houston - please, get out of the 1st round once and we'll talk. Blazers and GS - you have to play defense in the playoffs, neither of these two teams have shown the ability to do that.

As for the Mavs, they improved a team this off season that pushed the champs to seven games last year. One other huge key I didn't mention is the coach. Carlisle is right up there with Pop. The guy is about as good as it gets.

There's little chance anyone outside the Clips, Thunder or Spurs emerge from the Western Conference. Just saying. Again, the Mavs aren't a bad team by any stretch, but they aren't a team that can win the NBA Championship. I'm a Celtics fan and they're not any good either. They might sneak into the playoffs, but there's no chance.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:04 pm

I look forward to revisiting this thread in a May/June.

LA_Mustang

Postby OhioBrownFan » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:17 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:I look forward to revisiting this thread in a May/June.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby PonyKris89 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:07 pm

The Mavs always finish season with better seed than the experts pick
them to finish. What has always been the common thread has
been coaching, and Dirk.

I am in awe of how no matter who you put with Dirk,
the Mavs win a lot year after year.

I know they are supposedly old, slow and unathletic, but they are
still damn good. They go two to three deep at every position. The team is so much
better with Tyson Chandler. Aminu looks great so far, a great rebounder and he is scoring.
Depth
is becoming more important in the NBA, the Spurs prove that. Mavs
depth and Carlisle pushing the right buttons will be interesting to watch.

... and no matter whether or not they are contenders to go deep,
well, I will still watch Dirk to the very end. Dirk milestones are worth the watch.

...and I don't believe Rockets or OKC will finish ahead of Mavs,
and I always have my doubts about Clippers. Rockets big nucklehead factor and OKC
without Westbrook and Durant for the next month or so, will have a hole to climb out of.

Mavs finish 3-5 seed, 54 wins in another incredibly tough West.
Then anything can happen.

Carlisle and Popovich outcoach all the others, and it ain't even close.
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball