PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Superior coaching

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Superior coaching

Postby Nacho » Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:46 am

Here comes another crummy season. With BHop we had hope, without him we have deep despair and suffering. That injury is not going to heal overnight. He probably shouldn't even be playing this year but they are desperate. Voc is able to move much better than I thought he would this year. Maybe he can settle into the PG role, albeit probably on a limited basis. If BHop can't function at nearly 100%, and I sincerely doubt he will for the remainder of the season, this team is not going to do much.

What we saw last night was superior coaching from Mr Knight. They (he) made SMU look silly.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Superior coaching

Postby Johnny Rock » Wed Nov 27, 2002 12:25 pm

Well said. Tech passed the ball around and looked for the best available shot. On the other hand, SMU played one-on-one selfish basketball like all of Dement's teams do. The post players rarely received the ball. Castro and Simpson could have provided the team with high percentage shots but they did not get the ball much on the post. This is Dement's fault. Our point guard play was horrible. Hopkins may have been hurt, but we got no penetration from the point guards. We do have a young team, but we clearly had better athletes. Again, Dement was outcoached. I have watched this crap for several seasons now. The day SMU gets a well known proven Division 1 basketball coach is the day JohnnyRock starts going to more games. I think the Commitment was a bunch of crap to pursuade alums to donate money. If SMU is serious about winning Division 1 basketball, then it would have made a coaching change long ago. Under Dement, SMU has 1 NIT appearances and no NCAA appearances....enough said!!!
Johnny Rock

Postby PK » Wed Nov 27, 2002 12:36 pm

Bobby Knight is obviously a very good coach, but what you saw last night was an SMU team that couldn't buy a three and couldn't rebound on either end. The coach wasn't the one out there missing the shots and boards. Tech does use an offensive scheme that is hard to defend, but at one point we did a hell of a job doing just that...we were just too worn out to keep it up for a full game. We only had one day to recuperate from a hard fought OT game on Sunday night which wasn't helped by being on the road for the next game. Hop's injury is going to hurt us for awhile because even though Voc is energetic and a good PG, he is not as good a PG as is Hopkins. Hopkins vision and passing ability are far superior as was evident at points in the TCU game. If he ever gets back to 100%, the whole team will look better...IMHO.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Nacho » Wed Nov 27, 2002 12:41 pm

We are in deep trouble if NTSU comes in here and beats us on Friday which I think they will.
Nacho

Postby Ringer » Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:22 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nacho:
<B>We are in deep trouble if NTSU comes in here and beats us on Friday which I think they will.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Geez....I agree that if either Voc's or Hopkins' injuries are the the persistant, nagging, all season type than yes it is going ot be a long b-bal season. But to say that the season is lost if we lose to UNT is just not right. The season is young and it is way too early to tell where this team is headed. I personally like the chemistry that has been so badly needed the past few years. Did not like the way the Mustangs played in Lubbock but I had a feeling that it would be a tough road game after the hard fought, emotional win over TCU. SMU never go into a flow against TTech. Don't give up on the team yet. Early season losses are much more fogiven than late season ones. Way to early to throw in the towel even if thing don't go the mustangs way against UNT.
Ringer
Recruit

Postby Jonas Seuraut » Fri Nov 29, 2002 2:48 am

SMU not being able to shoot a three or rebound? You're kidding me.

------------------
The Diamond M.
The Diamond M.
Jonas Seuraut

Postby DallasDiehard » Fri Nov 29, 2002 2:34 pm

In the first two games, SMU has been out-rebounded by an AVERAGE of 47-26 per game. Ouch.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Return to Basketball