PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Reality check

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Reality check

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Dec 05, 2002 9:39 am

last night's loss should remind everyone that we still have some weaknesses that will be tough to overcome. When we get "0" points from the PG position, we aren't going to win many games. While I like the game Simpson played, we still don't get enough scoring from the low post. When your perimeter guys aren't "on", it's critical to have big guys who can score in a half court game.

Hey, we're 2-2 and I still say 5-5 would be a great non-conference showing for this team. We've really got to step up at home and beat either Baylor or San Diego, or both! There will be no gimmes on the road.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Reality check

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Dec 05, 2002 11:17 am

Nor will you beat anyone with the way we are shooting 3's. Absymal so far.
Pony_Fan

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Dec 05, 2002 11:29 am

Nor will you beat anyone with the way we are shooting 3's. Absymal so far.
Pony_Fan

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:29 pm

I think the main reason we are shooting such a bad % from 3 pt range is we are hoisting up NBA distance shots all the time. Way too many 25 foot heaves by Miller and even Bhop when he presses. Last night was disappointing because we were never really in the game at all. And, it appears that 5 days of rest didnt help Hopkins injuries at all. He should have sat out last night and tried to come back healthy after finals. Now its gonna take that much longer, if he gets better at all this year. Thats not hindsight, I posted that opinion yesterday. I know they beat Arkansas, but its frustrating to see a school like Oral Roberts dominate us. They have really improved in a hurry, while we seem to have the same old limitations and problems.
Hoop Fan

Postby RI Stang » Thu Dec 05, 2002 2:32 pm

I've always supported Dement, but I'm starting to wonder if it may be time for a change. He has always recruited well (remember what this program was before he arrived), but his ability to coach those players once they arrive on campus is just not coming through. SMU should model themselves after Tulsa, research everything that program has done to get to where they are now, etc.

Perhaps someone like last night's opponent, Scott Sutton, could come in and turn things up a notch. I think the players are here, and will continue to be available to us, but someone has to do a better job coaching them.

I'm afraid of what's going to happen next Sunday at Wake Forest.

[This message has been edited by RI Stang (edited 12-05-2002).]
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Dec 05, 2002 3:15 pm

RI Stang - I think that will be ugly Image

I would love to get a Sutton or figure out what Tulsa does. Granted, they have nothing else in Tulsa so everyone rallies behind the program. I think we have some guys who can do some things, Dement just doesnt know how to put them in the right spots at the right time nor can he inspire them to play above their level.

I hear plenty of outsiders saying the same things - not just SMU fans.
Pony_Fan

Postby PX » Thu Dec 05, 2002 3:33 pm

I watched Wake play last night, and they are doing better than I expected. Their freshmen and sophomores are stepping up, and Josh Howard is making a major contribution despite his health issues. They dont play anyone else between now and SMU, so they have 11 days to let Howard rest. Their other injured senior, Steve Lepore, is still out, but was projected to return sometime in December.
I originally thought Wake would be an NIT team this year, because they are so young. But last nights road win over a ranked team is the kind of thing that will get them into the NCAAs.
PX
Varsity

Postby RI Stang » Thu Dec 05, 2002 3:40 pm

It sure is frustrating.

I'm really worried about the Wake game completing deflating any confidence that this bunch still has. Even with an 11 day break, I just see no way we'll even hang with those guys. They're HUGE inside, and Josh Howard is the real deal. If Q guards him, there's no way he can fully contribute offensively, that is if he can even stay on the floor (and out of foul trouble). I imagine we'll stick to a zone, but as we've seen we sure don't pick up the 3 point shooters well.

I'm just worried a 30 or 40 point loss heading into WAC season could crush all hopes, but hopefully I'm just seeing the negative side after last night's disappointment. Oh well, at least we finally beat TCU.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:32 pm

I wouldnt worry about the Wake Forest game too much. The team should play like they have nothing to lose, cuz they don't. No matter what happens at Wake score wise, the make or break game of this preseason will be Baylor at Moody. Beat them, and we'll all be looking on the bright side more than today. Playing on the road is brutal college hoops, it makes a huge difference. We have accounted for ourselves pretty well at home, so its too early too get down on this team. And playing with no point guard, its a little harsh to get down on the coach too much. Hopkins is every bit the player as guys like Bracey Wright, Deron Williams and Bosh who are getting off to great college starts. If you watched the Lincoln-Colony game last year, Hopkins was the best on the floor. He is playing at less than 50% it looks to me. Voc too. There is very little chance of overcoming no point guard play against decent teams on the road. Its time to make a plan to sit Hopkins for an extended stretch to heel. Maybe its after the Baylor game so he can get the holidays break and if it takes the first few games of the WAC too, so be it. This team is not gonna make progress until he gets well.
Hoop Fan

Postby RI Stang » Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:58 pm

I agree re: Hopkins. I don't think it does anyone any good to have him play at 50% all year. For a game like TCU, he could make up for it with pure adrenaline, but now that the season is underway and the grind of a few games a week, I just don't see him improving. It's not like we're going to be a bubble team looking for an at-large berth to the tourney, obviously our best bet is to finish near the top of the WAC and get on a roll in the tourney. If resting Hopkins for the next few weeks gets us closer to that point, than I'm all for it.

As for being down on Dement, I don't necessarily think it's his fault we're not making shots, etc., but what I am disappointed in is our failure to upgrade the offense. I really thought this year would be different (mainly being that the point guard wasn't the primary scoring threat), but it just doesn't look like anything has changed to me. I sure would like to see it though, as I said before, I've always supported Dement.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby PK » Thu Dec 05, 2002 6:18 pm

In the TCU game we got to see a glimpse of what a good point guard can do for our offense. It's all about dishing the ball to the man with an open shot. Hopkins has great vision on the court and made a number of great passes in that game. One I remember was to a forward racing to the basket along the back line. Another was an awesome behind the back pass on a fast break up the middle. If he gets back to a 100%, we will see a great improvement in the team's offense. Q is able to bring the ball up the court alright, but he is not as good as Hopkins in getting the ball to the right man at the right time. Wait and see.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Dec 05, 2002 6:25 pm

From ESPN.com - NOT ME!!

Outsider view on WAC board ...

"F Dement..I dont think he even knew who Tiggs was prior to that game. that offense is a f-ing joke. Give it to Ross....Give it to Ross..pathetic. I feel sorry for their players. Dement will hear the wrath of the baby this year @ Moody."

I just chuckled a bit - I guess I have to laugh to get over what might be another pathetic year.
Pony_Fan

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Dec 05, 2002 7:17 pm

We do revert to one on one play too much, but I have seen some more offensive sets this year, at least in the home games. There have been some encouraging signs when Hopkins has had the adreniline like you say to play through pain. Against TCU he had it, and he had extra motivation against his brother and UNT. The concern I have has been the lack of production from Miller and Lowe, and Isham hasnt played with the same intesity I he showed in the exhibition games at least. Simpson has done his part IMO, its the small forward opposite Q that we need some points from.
Hoop Fan

Postby RI Stang » Thu Dec 05, 2002 7:44 pm

I agree Hoop Fan in that I'm wondering - who is the 2nd scorer on this team? Castro and Simpson have both stepped up a bit, but certainly not at all on a consistent basis. Hopkins probably can't be counted on to score much this year, certainly not until he's a lot closer to 100%. I also thought Isham may have stepped up and been that guy, but so far he also falls into the "inconsistent" category. I'm not a big fan of Miller, just to one-dimensional in my opinion.
RI Stang
All-American

Return to Basketball