PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

A message to Copeland...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

A message to Copeland...

Postby Johnny Rock » Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:43 pm

As you are aware, SMU started a campaign called 'The Commitment.' As I understand, it means that SMU is going to make changes in its athletic programs to be more competitive to stay in Division 1 athletics. I assume it is supposed to be like the changes TCU made after the SWC dissolved. I applaud your hire of Bennett. SMU will have many successful seasons in football with him as the coach. However, I truly question the sincerity behind 'The Commitment' when you have failed to address the basketball situation. More specifically, I do not understand why Dement is still the SMU basketball coach. Under his tenure, Dement has only one post-season tournament--the NIT. I sure Dement is a nice guy, but he clearly gets outcoached by the better teams. (See TX Tech, Tulsa, Fresno St., and Hawaii). I will admit that Dement has recruited some good players to SMU, but he has not developed them well. I believe Dement's lack of coaching and lack of control over his teams will show more than ever this year. The season will only get worse. If SMU is serious about staying competitive in Division 1 athletics and winning, then it will release Dement as its coach. Otherwise, SMU will continue to lose fan support for what will be a disasterous basketball season. I welcome your comments Copeland or any other caring fans. I do not mean to sound negative but I am just a fan that cares and has a passion for SMU. I'm sure that there are others that feel the same. From, Johnny Rock--a top 100 SMU fan.
Johnny Rock

Re: A message to Copeland...

Postby Eddie P » Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:09 pm

I thought you were supposed to be on Bourbon Street...or are you just drunk?

Postby RI Stang » Thu Dec 05, 2002 6:06 pm

Johnny,

While I agree it's time to give a serious look into what Dement's future is with this program, the question is - are their better candidates out there who would come to SMU?

While there are those of us who certainly care about SMU Basketball, it is obviously not a real popular event in DFW and hardly an ideal landing spot for a number of coaches.

I'm not saying there aren't solid candidates out there willing to come (obviously look at football and Bennett), but I'm really not sure who they are, and I sure hope Copeland DOES know who they are before getting rid of Dement.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Johnny Rock » Thu Dec 05, 2002 7:57 pm

Well put RI Stang. I agree that Copeland should not make a move with Dement unless he can get a big time coach in here, which will take money. The top coaches go where the money leads them. Until then, my frustrations will grow.
Johnny Rock

Postby football_fan » Fri Dec 06, 2002 1:07 am

i agree dement hasnt done [deleted] with this program in the last few years, its certainly in worse shape than it was 4 years ago, and the decline is showing no signs of slowing down. i just hope that copeland doesnt let dement run the bball program into the ground like he let cavan do to the football team.

i havent heard anything about copelands job being on the line, but he's running out of major sports teams to destroy.

basiclly bballs headed down hill fast, football has hit absolute rock bottom, and students and allumni fan support is down to almost zero.

copeland, when you said smu was going to make a commitment to athletics i didnt realize that you were essentially talking to my grandchildren, and i graduated last year.
football_fan

Postby RI Stang » Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:30 pm

I have to disagree that "bball headed downhill fast". How quickly we forget the mid-90's when Shumate was here. During those years, it was so difficult to watch the games. I applaud Dement for getting us out of that hole and headed in the right direction. However, he acheived that a few years ago, and now we all sit still waiting to take the next step, wondering when that will be.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby SMUguy » Fri Dec 06, 2002 1:19 pm

As much as this hurts to say, I suggest we follow A&M's example. We should consider Dement's future carefully. We might not be satisfied with one tournament game since his arrival, but let's not do anything drastic until we have a qualified replacement waiting in the wings. Replacing him with a quality D-1 coach would be fine. An assistant or a coach from a directional Tennessee school does not work. We've tried that before in football, and now Coach Bennett is having to clean up that mess.

I say keep Dement. I like him, and the program is in a hell of a lot better shape than it was when Shumate was here. That guy was a joke.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Return to Basketball