PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TCU 72 Baylor 64

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

TCU 72 Baylor 64

Postby Pony_Fan » Sat Dec 07, 2002 10:03 pm

Maybe we have a chance to beat Baylor??
They looked flat in the 2nd half. Their defense was a little suspect and weak.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: TCU 72 Baylor 64

Postby Nacho » Mon Dec 09, 2002 12:44 pm

I felt sorry for Dave Bliss. He is a great coach but has no players. No one wants to go to Baylor. My pipe dream: Dave Bliss returns to the Hilltop. He showed what he could do at SMU back in the 80s--we were I believe #1 in the country at one time under Bliss.
Nacho

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:32 am

Why did he leave anyway? That was about the DP time right?
Pony_Fan

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:10 am

Bliss left after the new school President, Kenneth Pye, changed our admissions policies and disallowed the admission of Larry Johnson, who I believe had committed during the fall signing period to play for the Mustangs. I think Bliss knew we would not be competitive under Pye's admission standards and did what he had to in order to salvage his reputation and career.

I never met him, but understood he enjoyed Dallas and I know he was a big NY Yankees fan who enjoyed having MLB in town. I suspect under the right circumstances, he might like to return and finish the job he started at SMU.

We're getting ahead of ourselves, though, with all the talk about replacing Dement. He appears to be slowly putting the pieces together. Let's see if this team improves as the year goes on before we start bashing the coach.
Charleston Pony

Postby True Colors » Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:50 pm

Baylor does have some good players, but they are out of sync right now because there are so many new faces.

Lawrence Roberts was a freshman all american last year. He set the all time scoring mark for freshman in the big 12, and almost broke the rebounding mark. He has been hurt to begin this season, which has bogged the entire team down.

John Lucas, jr. made the big 12 all rookie team last year.

Terrance Thomas was a JUCO all american.

Coming in next season - Patrick Dennehy, a HS top 100 guy. Also, Tyrone Nelson, a top 100 national big man.

Just too many new faces right now, and no chemistry.

Also, do not expect to see Bliss back coaching at SMU again. He has gotten practically everything he wants from Baylor(larger staff, new playing floor, 2 jumbotrons, etc.) No way Baylor ever lets him out of Waco.

TC
True Colors
Scout Team

Return to Basketball