PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Wake v SMU

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Wake v SMU

Postby RE Tycoon » Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:41 am

I saw that our game next sunday (which will be broadcast nationaly) is going to be right after the Texas - Arizona game. This could be great exposure if we win, I hope we do win and I also hope that this is B-Hop's coming out party as well as a game that solidifies Q as a draft pick. I also hope the Texas - Arizona game doesn't go into overtime, I hate when I miss the begining of a game.

Go 'Stangs!
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Re: Wake v SMU

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:38 am

If we are going to compete with Wake, we are going to need Bhop to deliver more than the 19% shooting he's shown so far this year. As a team, we are going to have to shoot better than 21% from 3-pt range (our season average thru 4 games). The 1st game back from the long break during exams has historically been a home game against much lesser competition, and the play has been ragged. Let's hope this year is different and these Mustangs make a good showing on national TV.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby KnuckleStang » Tue Dec 10, 2002 7:46 pm

The Wake game is listed as being broadcast on Fox SportsNet. I suspect that means Fox Southwest. We only get Fox NY here, which is usually some junk Rutgers game. If you are telling me that I will actually get to watch an SMU game, on CABLE, without a satellite dish in New York, I am going to have to soil my drawers. I would love to see that game. If the national TV thing is true, somebody please confirm it.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:12 pm

Hard to say but I would guess it's a regional game. You can check at <A HREF="http://www.tvguide.com" TARGET=_blank>www.tvguide.com</A> and check your local Fox Sports Channel.
Pony_Fan

Postby RI Stang » Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:31 pm

Start soiling Knuckle. The SMU/Wake game is part of Fox Sports Net's "ACC Sunday Night Hoops" package. These games are all televised nationally, and for some reason this week's selection is Wake/SMU. So whether you live in Rhode Island, Long Island or the Hawaiian Islands, you'll get this game.

Go Ponies.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby KnuckleStang » Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:08 pm

That is indeed rocking good news. Have not actually SEEN the Mustangs play basketball since approximately 1995-96. I haven't missed much since then, I guess, judging from what I've heard over the radio. Thank you. On Sunday I will drink very much Budweiser and watch that stinkin' game, in my Yankee *ss home. Sweeeeeet.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:37 pm

Knuclestang: surely they have sports bars in NY? I'm stuck on the east coast and 1,200 miles from Big D, but have been able to catch several bball games since '95-96 on the Fox network. Any decent sports bar can get Fox SW for you. I'm thinking about buying an SMU flag for my local watering hole to use as decoration right along with the Clemson, S.Carolina, SEC & ACC schools that dominate their walls.
Charleston Pony

Postby KnuckleStang » Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:54 am

Uh, yeah, we have sports bars, but...you'd be surprised how "unaccomodating" a New York City bar owner can be, when he's got 9 TV's, 4 of which are showing the Rangers (NY), 2 of which are showing the Islanders, 1 of which is showing the Knicks (because they suck), and 2 of which are showing UConn, to a roomfull of screaming Long Island yahoos. In these kind of situations, a request to view the battle for fifth place in the WAC(!) is taken as some kind of sick joke. The general consensus among people I know is that the only place in college-hating-New-York you can TRULY see any game you want is at ESPN Zone, a great place, but it's hell to get in the door down there, it's always packed (wonder why!). This is why I am thrilled beyond words that I will not even have to leave my sofa to see the Mustangs. Even if we do stand a pretty good chance of getting our *sses handed to us by Wake.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby RE Tycoon » Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:03 pm

Yeah, it's definitely on Nationally, I made sure of that because I leave friday for break and wanted to make sure I could get it back in California. Like RI Stang said it's part of the ACC deal with Fox Sports Net. Who says the WAC needs more lucrative TV packages, we can just latch on to other confrences TV deals. The best part is we are on right after what will probably be one of the best games of the year, or at least so far this year #1 Arizona vs. #8 Texas (I believe they were 2 or 3 before their loss). This is huge exposure for us...the only way it could be better would be if it was on ESPN.
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Postby RI Stang » Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:20 pm

Only problem is if the UT/AZ game runs late, or (God forbid) goes to overtime, we're S.O.L.

I for one would be quite pissed off if that situation unfolds...
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:03 pm

Can someone explain to me why UT was ranked #3 in the first place?? They got knocked down to where they should be ~10 or lower I would think.
Pony_Fan

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:05 am

KnuckleStang: I hear you on that NY sports bar scene. I once had an office I visited frequently on Long Island and found resistance to wanting to watch the Yankees rather than the Mets out there. Actually, I had the same problem right here in Charleston trying to get SMU on a TV when they are up against SEC teams. I've had to buy burgers and beers for a group of guys I recruited from my office to get a small TV in the corner, but bringing a regular group for 2 seasons (and being one of the few in the bar watching those WAC games with the 11:00 p.m. starting times), I'm now considered a regular with at least some rights. It helps that I found a rather friendly barmaid who undoubtedly admires my loyalty. She now even comments (as some of the other regulars do) that they actually follow the SMU scores. Don't give up on finding a regular spot, because we easily have 5-6 games between football/bball every year. Good luck!
Charleston Pony

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:38 am

I don't think that Texas-Arizona game is going to be too great...Have you seen ZONA???? Texas doesn't have a prayer. I don't know if you support the stangs and the horns but Texas is in trouble Sunday. Wake is good too but I sure hope we can pull the upset. We need a big win to jump start our program. We got are big recruit..now it's time to get the win.

Postby RE Tycoon » Sat Dec 14, 2002 6:01 pm

I am personally not a big fan of Texas, and could care less who wins the Arizona vs. Texas game. Having said that though Texas DOES have a chance and the reason is that Luke Walton is probably not going to play in that game.
<A HREF="http://espn.go.com/ncb/news/2002/1211/1475551.html" TARGET=_blank>http://espn.go.com/ncb/news/2002/1211/1475551.html</A>
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony_Fan » Sat Dec 14, 2002 7:05 pm

Which is precisely what Dement needs to do with Hopkins - REST HIM for conference play!!
Pony_Fan

Return to Basketball