PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

A Few Thoughts...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: A Few Thoughts...

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:00 pm

Oliver wrote:I feel like we need to run more plays specifically to get Keith open shots. We've seen Keith's problems start if he has to put the ball on the ground or elevate and shoot with a hand in his face. Let's start getting him that open corner pocket 3 off a screen. I think he's in his own head and it's like if he's not making a mistake, he's already turning to swing the ball before the pass has even reached his hands..like he can't get rid of it quick enough

The 3 doesn't seem to be Ben E's game and he took 5 last night, making only 1, he needs to get in the paint and make some floaters or at least draw another defender. Justin could probably stand to shoot more 3s his stroke looked good last night, made 1 of 2.

I feel like we need to run.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Oliver » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:10 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:
Oliver wrote:I feel like we need to run more plays specifically to get Keith open shots. We've seen Keith's problems start if he has to put the ball on the ground or elevate and shoot with a hand in his face. Let's start getting him that open corner pocket 3 off a screen. I think he's in his own head and it's like if he's not making a mistake, he's already turning to swing the ball before the pass has even reached his hands..like he can't get rid of it quick enough

The 3 doesn't seem to be Ben E's game and he took 5 last night, making only 1, he needs to get in the paint and make some floaters or at least draw another defender. Justin could probably stand to shoot more 3s his stroke looked good last night, made 1 of 2.

That too, my point is for those bashing Keith, he's still the best pure shooter on the team outside of maybe Nic, I know he's looked lost again so far, but I think we just need to get him out of his own way, create open looks for him and let him fire away
#GodFather #Tempo
Oliver
All-American

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:42 pm

IMO, Justin Martin can shoot as well as anyone on the team. As for KF, I think he is so concerned about screwing up he's overthinking everything. I'd like to see us push the ball after rebounding. In the half court set we seem clueless again the zone.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:52 pm

Ryan Manual is an athlete, not a basketball player.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby footballdad » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:00 pm

Oliver wrote:
LA_Mustang wrote:

That too, my point is for those bashing Keith, he's still the best pure shooter on the team outside of maybe Nic, I know he's looked lost again so far, but I think we just need to get him out of his own way, create open looks for him and let him fire away

Or maybe Keith was just overrated and shoots funny, which is exactly why he will never be consistently good? Give him half the season to prove himself one way or the other and then let the chips fall where they may. Seems Larry is giving him every opportunity to let him work his way out of his own funk by letting him start, but at some point the Godfather will do what is best for the team.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Basketball