PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

A Few Thoughts...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

A Few Thoughts...

Postby OhioBrownFan » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:03 am

1) A game is not over with 10 minutes left in the game down by 18. That's a few threes and a few stops to being back to a couple possession game.

2) Nic Moore clearly was bothered by the length tonight. It affects his defense and he can't create his own offense, never has been able to.

3) SMU better figure out how to beat a zone, you attack the seams and penetrate, not shoot your way out of it. No team is good enough from deep in college to shoot their way out of a zone.

4) MK being absent is killing them inside. Size and strength. I can't remember the last time Gonzaga overpowered a top 25 team on the inside and they took this team out back of the woodshed.

5) Mudiay gone is an even bigger loss. Finishing in transition, at the rim was an issue. Attacking the cup was an issue out of the zone. The lack of having a secondary ball-handler that could facilitate and also bother Pangos defensively couldn't have been more evident tonight.

6) This loss does not hurt SMU in ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM in terms of the NCAA tourney. It's a loss against a very quality team on the road in a tough environment. This is a high-reward, low-risk type of game in terms of scheduling for RPI. This is not a loss to Houston in the first round of the conference tourney or USF or Temple in conference play. Get over it. It's one game.

7) The season is not lost because of this loss, there's a lot of teaching points and quite honestly, I felt like Brown was resigned to coaching after a while. Get back after it tomorrow, review the film and learn.

8 ) Gonzaga looked every bit of a top 10 team tonight at home. They shot the ball very well and the zone defense was suffocating. Don't kid yourself, it's a well-coached team that looked like a team that will be in the Final Four if they play like that every night (here's a secret, they won't. So don't dread and question how SMU lost to Gonzaga because they have a hiccup somewhere along the 27 regular season games).

9) Welcome to the big time and enjoy it. At least the team is relevant and Gonzaga fans respected/recognize that this is a quality team. They don't stay til the end for Seattle University and have 10 different chants.

10) I look forward to seeing SMU back on the floor against Indiana and at home.
Last edited by OhioBrownFan on Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Re: A Few Thoughts...

Postby SMU Section F » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:07 am

Agreed on most points. Gonzaga was clearly the better team. This would've been one of our "best" losses last season, if not the "best". Hope they're ready for Thursday.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby MFFL02 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:08 am

Our transfers haven't shown me anything this season.
I miss Troy Matthews.
MFFL02
All-American

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:08 am

Well said and completely agree. Your posts are alwYa on point. Now that SMU basketball has gotten popular there is an unbelievable amount of ignorance on this board sometimes.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Big12Mustang » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:09 am

I don't think they are much better than us...home field advantage, SMU mistakes and lack of confidence lost that game for us. Could have been a different story at Moody.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony81 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:12 am

Well said OBF.
Spot on.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby BlamePrimePrep » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:16 am

Only reason I'm upset is because of how it played out. Felt like the game could've been kept closer if team would've either settled down or been settled down.

That said, OBF said everything on point. With that said, this game happened, we lost, now onto beating Indiana.
BlamePrimePrep

Postby GiddyUp » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:18 am

Thanks Primetime, welcome. We have two soft big men. Doesnt work on a night like tonight.
GiddyUp
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby OhioBrownFan » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:22 am

One other thing because I don't want this misconstrued. The team is still going to be a very good team all year even without Mudiay or MK, and will be a top tier team with Kennedy. Mudiay would've simply added the element that might have allowed the team to overcome a night like tonight with a stagnant offense and poor shooting. I don't want people dreading the loss of Mudiay. Someone else will have to emerge to help fill the voids that I mentioned in regard to him and there will be a player that does. I just don't know who that is yet, the joy of it being Game 2 of a 30 game season.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby OhioBrownFan » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:24 am

GiddyUp wrote:Thanks Primetime, welcome. We have two soft big men. Doesnt work on a night like tonight.

Yes, MK adds that compliment to YM. YM isn't a banger and he was being asked to bang down low tonight. Just needed him to neutralize that size and strength and add some stability around the hoop.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:27 am

SMU Section F wrote:Agreed on most points. Gonzaga was clearly the better team. This would've been one of our "best" losses last season, if not the "best". Hope they're ready for Thursday.

Gonzaga was not as good as Louisville was last year imo. Zaga is ranked 13th not 3rd in the country.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby blackoutpony » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:33 am

Big12Mustang wrote:I don't think they are much better than us...home field advantage, SMU mistakes and lack of confidence lost that game for us. Could have been a different story at Moody.

You said we would roll gonzaga. Go away.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Oliver » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:33 am

Semi relevant given our history of scrimmages with them, but Colorado looks pretty damn good out of the gate here
#GodFather #Tempo
Oliver
All-American

Postby OhioBrownFan » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:37 am

Oliver wrote:Semi relevant given our history of scrimmages with them, but Colorado looks pretty damn good out of the gate here

There's a bunch of really good teams in the 25-40 range. Texas and Iowa should be a good match-up Thursday in NYC. Both those teams are top 25 caliber. Auburn, Colorado, Utah, Illinois, Pitt, Stanford, they're all solid.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby blackoutpony » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:41 am

Yanick looked awful out there today though. Just got shoved around.....
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Basketball