PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

A Few Thoughts...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: A Few Thoughts...

Postby sjackson » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:49 am

Man, Sabonis looked like a future badass...active, and particularly good footwork down low. It is pretty clear that he learned quite a bit from his Dad...
sjackson
Scout Team

Postby smusportspage » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:13 am

Yes, he plays as quick as many smaller players. Very impressed.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby ponydawg » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:25 am

Why didn't sterling brown get more PT when it mattered last night? He is tough and brings attitude to the court. Do Ben E and Justin bring more scoring potential and thats why? It felt like we were getting pushed around and could have used someone with more starting experience in our system.

Just a second guessing observation the next day.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smumustang11 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:39 am

Thoughts on the game:

1. We missed about 20 LAYUPS in this game. While we looked ridiculously undersized from a strength perspective, we still had easy buckets that we left on the floor. Not saying that we win the game, but man did we kill ourselves last night.

2. I want to see KF get "mad" instead of "hyped up". He is the 2nd most timid player only to Yanick, but when confident, can be an impact player. I don't know what has happened but he seems so scared, don't know if this is due to Larry jumping him all the time for making bonehead plays (which is justified) or if the level of competition is just completely overwhelming him. Nothing would make me happier than him channeling the demeanor of Reggie Miller and being nastier on the court(trash talking, getting in people's faces, etc). He doesn't have the mentality of a shooter yet.

3. Markus. I seem to have a slightly different opinion of our boy MK's tweet last night. I can tell that he's mad at the situation, we all were. However, it's largely HIS FAULT for not being eligible. If I'm Larry, I shut down all social media for him, don't let him sit on the bench, and run his rear end off every practice until he realizes the gravity of the situation. IF YOU CAN'T PLAY IN THE GAMES, YOU CAN'T MAKE IT TO THE LEAGUE. Not sure MK understands this concept yet and I'll be honest IMO that he wasn't a NBA-level talent based on last year's performance alone.

4. Ben Moore. Honestly, the only bright spot in my mind. He is playing on a completely different level than he was last year. The green light should be on as bright as possible for him for the rest of the year.

5. Turnovers. Am I the only person that almost wrecked their car listening to the postgame report that we only had 13 TURNOVERS?! I would've swore we had 25 with as bad as we looked and as many wasted possessions as we had.

With all this being said, I think that we went to a hostile environment of what I expect to be a top 7-10 team for most of the year and lost a game that we were expected to lose. This in no way hurts our chances, but man it could have vaulted us into a great position. Time to regroup and get a much-needed confidence building win on the road. I will be in attendance doing my best to help make it happen. BEAT INDIANA!
I like sports and I don't care who knows.
smumustang11
Scout Team

Postby Zippy79 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:44 am

I think we all need to take a deep breath. It was not pretty but unfortunately the odds were very much stacked against us. If we lose to Indiana then it might be time to acknowledge that an expected road loss to a potential top 10 team could be a signal of a MUCH BIGGER PROBLEM.
At what point have we seen enough of Ryan Manuel? His defense was awful last night and he is leading this team once again in missed uncontested Layups!

On a positive note he does the best Crandall Head Impression I have ever seen:)
Zippy79
Recruit

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:45 am

Good post 11. Agree especially re layups. Hard to shoot par if you miss the short putts
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby blackoutpony » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:56 am

Big12Mustang wrote:
blackoutpony wrote:Yanick looked awful out there today though. Just got shoved around.....

You have no idea what you are talking about, only parroting what others say.

Excuse me? :lol: Go back to trolling the football board with your 9-3 record predictions clown.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:06 pm

Size matters. Gonzaga had it. Our jumpers were flat (not relaxed and arced) which indicates to me that they were hurried again because a large man was jumping out at the shooters. We had trouble covering the 3's in zone. Showed some spark at the end of the first half, but I think the size of the Zags got to us. Moiera needed to have hit the weight room a little more. But when Kennedy gets back that will be a nice complementary twosome. Not a bad first game on the road against a ranked opponent. If we had been more relaxed when shooting, it would have been a closer game. Moore and Frazier clearly looked rushed when they shot.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby untitled » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:22 pm

Zippy79 wrote:I think we all need to take a deep breath. It was not pretty but unfortunately the odds were very much stacked against us. If we lose to Indiana then it might be time to acknowledge that an expected road loss to a potential top 10 team could be a signal of a MUCH BIGGER PROBLEM.
At what point have we seen enough of Ryan Manuel? His defense was awful last night and he is leading this team once again in missed uncontested Layups!

On a positive note he does the best Crandall Head Impression I have ever seen:)

Could not agree more re: Ryan Manuel. He's a terrific defender but that's about it. While he's freakishly athletic and can get to the rim rather easily, his inability to finish at the rim is just so infuriating. I'd rather see more of Sterling Brown in the event we need someone out there to lock down an opposing player (Pangos).
untitled
Varsity

Postby bsturman » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:30 pm

we missed a ton of layups because they were rushed and their length forced them to be off balance. Gonzaga forced alot of those misses because they contested them.
Pony up!!!
bsturman
Junior Varsity

Postby NewAgeMustange » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:08 pm

All valid thoughts. As a recent basketball convert. I enjoyed watching the guys play. I did notice the differences in size between some of the gonzaga players and ours.

Two things wanted to ask/ comment on: I noticed this last year in the NIT, it seems that we get killed on 3's yet we hardly (or I don't notice as much) shoot them? Is this a preference in LB's coaching style or weakness in the team?

Also I really appreciated that the announcers kept on saying "MUSTANGS" instead of Ponies. Except for a couple instances. I really enjoy hearing that, I hate the term ponies
NewAgeMustange
Varsity

Postby Zippy79 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:25 pm

untitled wrote:
Zippy79 wrote:I think we all need to take a deep breath. It was not pretty but unfortunately the odds were very much stacked against us. If we lose to Indiana then it might be time to acknowledge that an expected road loss to a potential top 10 team could be a signal of a MUCH BIGGER PROBLEM.

On a positive note he does the best Crandall Head Impression
Could not agree more re: Ryan Manuel. He's a terrific defender but that's about it. While he's freakishly athletic and can get to the rim rather easily, his inability to finish at the rim is just so infuriating. I'd rather see more of Sterling Brown in the event we need someone out there to lock down an opposing player (Pangos).

Great point about Sterling Brown! We really have seen what Ryan Manuel has to offer these past four years. At this point he is stealing minutes from Brown who has far more room to grow.
Zippy79
Recruit

Postby SMU 86 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:36 pm

NewAgeMustange wrote: Two things wanted to ask/ comment on: I noticed this last year in the NIT, it seems that we get killed on 3's yet we hardly (or I don't notice as much) shoot them? Is this a preference in LB's coaching style or weakness in the team?

I do think Larry Brown likes the 3 point shoot and is more of an old school pounds it do low or drive to the bucket type coach. I don't think the three pointer is incorporated in the offense like some other schools do.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:58 pm

SMU 86 wrote:
NewAgeMustange wrote: Two things wanted to ask/ comment on: I noticed this last year in the NIT, it seems that we get killed on 3's yet we hardly (or I don't notice as much) shoot them? Is this a preference in LB's coaching style or weakness in the team?

I do think Larry Brown likes the 3 point shoot and is more of an old school pounds it do low or drive to the bucket type coach. I don't think the three pointer is incorporated in the offense like some other schools do.

Larry is old school and definitely believes that if you run the offense correctly and stay patient eventually you get a lay up. That said he did mention he might have to let his guys shoot more 3's because as a team they should be good at it.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Oliver » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:52 pm

I feel like we need to run more plays specifically to get Keith open shots. We've seen Keith's problems start if he has to put the ball on the ground or elevate and shoot with a hand in his face. Let's start getting him that open corner pocket 3 off a screen. I think he's in his own head and it's like if he's not making a mistake, he's already turning to swing the ball before the pass has even reached his hands..like he can't get rid of it quick enough

The 3 doesn't seem to be Ben E's game and he took 5 last night, making only 1, he needs to get in the paint and make some floaters or at least draw another defender. Justin could probably stand to shoot more 3s his stroke looked good last night, made 1 of 2.
#GodFather #Tempo
Oliver
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball