PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tip o' the cap

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Tip o' the cap

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:53 am

Good luck to you guys. You are loaded and headed for a deep run this year. More than a few here will be pulling for you. Already looking forward to extending some Moody hospitality!
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Arkpony » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:10 pm

Zags show class. Very nice to have that kind of opponent.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Donnell88 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:46 pm

Because I live in the Northwest and because Spokane is such a lovely city, Gonzaga has always been my second-favourite team. You have a great fan base as well.
I have suffered through a number of your heart-breaking tournament losses. If SMU doesn't win
the tournament, I hope you do.
Donnell88
All-American

Postby GoZags » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:48 pm

CalallenStang wrote: GoZags, hope you stick around and join in from time to time.

Good luck trying to get rid of me .... (i.e. ask the guys at St. Joe's/Davidson/Xavier/Illinois/Washington and a few others).

I guarantee I won't be a pest ... but WILL chime in from time to time (particularly since we've got our "home and home" going ... and I wouldn't be surprised to see it "extended").

Enjoyed the comments ... I believe there's a bit of the ol' "mutual respect" thing going around.

Good luck to the Ponies (who, until last week I had no idea was your "unoffical" nickname ... kind of like Gonzaga is officially the "Bulldogs" but are known as the "Zags")
GoZags

Postby Treadway21 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:53 pm

GoZags, thanks for posting. Made the loss a go down a little easier.

I said in another thread, y'all did to us what we have done to a lot of good team at Moody- including UConn. Your arena looks like a great place to watch a game. Looking forward to revenge next year. Good luck to y'all the rest of the season. Lots of Ponyfans will be pulling for y'all.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:03 pm

GoZags wrote:Good luck trying to get rid of me .... (i.e. ask the guys at St. Joe's/Davidson/Xavier/Illinois/Washington and a few others).

I guarantee I won't be a pest ... but WILL chime in from time to time (particularly since we've got our "home and home" going ... and I wouldn't be surprised to see it "extended").

Enjoyed the comments ... I believe there's a bit of the ol' "mutual respect" thing going around.

Good luck to the Ponies (who, until last week I had no idea was your "unoffical" nickname ... kind of like Gonzaga is officially the "Bulldogs" but are known as the "Zags")

I'm looking forward to your game tonight against St. Joe's. If you guys can run them out of the gym it will make us feel better. :)
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby GoZags » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:11 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:
GoZags wrote:Good luck trying to get rid of me .... (i.e. ask the guys at St. Joe's/Davidson/Xavier/Illinois/Washington and a few others).

I'm looking forward to your game tonight against St. Joe's. If you guys can run them out of the gym it will make us feel better. :)

They were one of the rare "home" losses for Gonzaga under Mark Few. Of course, I don't think Coach Martelli is bringing Jameer Nelson or Delonte West with him this time.
GoZags

Postby CenTXpony » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:25 pm

Gonzaga looking strong again. 23-5 10 minutes in.
CenTXpony
Heisman

Postby GoZags » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:56 am

Rather than start a new thread I figured I'd just add on to this one. Saturday will conclude what I believe is a pretty cool "home and home" which I'm hoping will be renewed.

My plans to actually visit Moody got curtailed with an unplanned heart attack and surgery just as hoops season was beginning. I'm fine but still not traveling... i.e. the only time I've been able to see the Zags was when they played Tennessee in the "Battle in Seattle" at KeyArena. I'm "thinking" that may be the next time we see SMU ... in a "neutral/neutral" setting. That's how it's worked for some of our other high profile OOC opponents ...

I know there have been disappointments with both SMU and Gonzaga this season ... but there is a LOT to play for Saturday night.

It should be a great college basketball game. GoZags

GoZags

Postby PonyTime » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:08 am

GoZags wrote:Rather than start a new thread I figured I'd just add on to this one. Saturday will conclude what I believe is a pretty cool "home and home" which I'm hoping will be renewed.

My plans to actually visit Moody got curtailed with an unplanned heart attack and surgery just as hoops season was beginning. I'm fine but still not traveling... i.e. the only time I've been able to see the Zags was when they played Tennessee in the "Battle in Seattle" at KeyArena. I'm "thinking" that may be the next time we see SMU ... in a "neutral/neutral" setting. That's how it's worked for some of our other high profile OOC opponents ...

I know there have been disappointments with both SMU and Gonzaga this season ... but there is a LOT to play for Saturday night.

Welcome back! Sorry that you will miss this one. At this point in the year, you never know what you are going to get out of SMU. They are pretty worn down. If the Zags follow the gameplan from Houston and Tulsa, they may come away with a W. Of course, I am sure Larry will be stressing Defense all week - and hopefully the Zags will be a bit worn out with playing two games in a couple of days. Should be a good one!
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyTime » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:13 am

We are all rooting for the Zags in the tournament. Hope we renew a series in the future!
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony ^ » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:42 am

Really hope this series continues. There is no team that shows more class than the Zags
Pony ^

Postby Duke Blue Blood » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:29 pm

Good Luck in the Tournament.

Hope we can make this an annual series, since nobody wants to play in our respective gyms.
Duke Blue Blood
Heisman

Postby LakeHighlandsPony » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:42 pm

GoZags wrote:Rather than start a new thread I figured I'd just add on to this one. Saturday will conclude what I believe is a pretty cool "home and home" which I'm hoping will be renewed.

Best of luck in your recovery.
LakeHighlandsPony
Hall of Famer

Postby GoZags » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:36 am

Belated congratulations to SMU on a well deserved victory Saturday night. Again ... sorry I wasn't able to attend (will NOT miss the next one down there).

FWIW I thought it was pretty cool having President Bush (and the former FLOTUS) at the game. Do they come often? Just curious.
GoZags

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball