PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Nic Moore

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Nic Moore

Postby MFFL02 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:34 pm

Nobody seems to be mentioning Nic Moore but he got completely outplayed last night. Defensively he kept leaving Pangos, who nailed a bunch of 3's. Offensively is more worrisome, we don't seem to be running much of an offense at all, which significantly hurts Moore as an undersized PG. I feel like last season he scores 18-20 in that game.
I miss Troy Matthews.
MFFL02
All-American

Re: Nic Moore

Postby NastyStang » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:19 pm

He has to be more aggressive and look for his shot.

The problem is we still can't score consistently when teams switch to a zone. Not sure why anyone would play man against us - we are just awful against zone. Get Keith and Martin in the corners and penetrate!
NastyStang
Varsity

Postby NastyStang » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:22 pm

Please give Manuel's 7 minutes to Brown or Martin. He is so ineffective. Still has zero jump shot after 4 years and looks more scared and timid than our sophomores.

The guy should go pro in missing layups and/or falling down while attempting a layup.
NastyStang
Varsity

Postby MFFL02 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:59 pm

Did anyone else notice we are a horrific passing team? Even when we penetrated into the zone and kicked out or gave it to Moore at the high post and he passed it out to the open shooter, our passes were off 1-2 feet so our shooters could not get into position to shoot. Really frustrating to watch...
I miss Troy Matthews.
MFFL02
All-American

Postby EconPony'10 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:11 pm

NastyStang wrote:Please give Manuel's 7 minutes to Brown or Martin. He is so ineffective. Still has zero jump shot after 4 years and looks more scared and timid than our sophomores.

The guy should go pro in missing layups and/or falling down while attempting a layup.

Although he did miss many lay ups last year, he played well down the stretch for us and his energy/speed/athleticism is unmatched. I really wish he would have played receiver for us.
EconPony'10
Varsity

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:52 pm

Zone will always be a problem for this team becaus eour best slashers (nic moore and Emanual) can't finish at the rim. Emanual will miss the lay up and Nic moore is too small when he gets inside. Thus yo can always give the drive to those guys and cover the shot. In theory you need KF or Ben E slashing and hitting either the interior pass or kicking it to Nic Moore or who ever isn't moving forward.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby ojaipony » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:03 pm

Pony_Law wrote:Zone will always be a problem for this team becaus eour best slashers (nic moore and Emanual) can't finish at the rim. Emanual will miss the lay up and Nic moore is too small when he gets inside. Thus yo can always give the drive to those guys and cover the shot. In theory you need KF or Ben E slashing and hitting either the interior pass or kicking it to Nic Moore or who ever isn't moving forward.

JMart. Size and strength. Don't know about speed/will. Slashing is all about the will. BenM, too.
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:12 pm

I think Nic is thinking about not fouling and leaving us short at pg. He needs to just get back in the full speed flow of the game and let whatever happens happen.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby ojaipony » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:23 pm

I re-watched the highlights and in several of Pangos's 3s, Nic was just completely out of position. Not picked or anything. Was a bit odd. Just kind of lazy D.
ojaipony

Postby The Falcon » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:48 am

ojaipony wrote:I re-watched the highlights and in several of Pangos's 3s, Nic was just completely out of position. Not picked or anything. Was a bit odd. Just kind of lazy D.

I watched him closely on defense and I believe he had been instructed to sag into the
center when the ball was on the other side. He was probably trying to keep the bigs from
getting the ball - and - this put him out of position to stop Pangos.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby Alaric » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:16 am

The Falcon wrote:
ojaipony wrote:I re-watched the highlights and in several of Pangos's 3s, Nic was just completely out of position. Not picked or anything. Was a bit odd. Just kind of lazy D.

I watched him closely on defense and I believe he had been instructed to sag into the
center when the ball was on the other side. He was probably trying to keep the bigs from
getting the ball - and - this put him out of position to stop Pangos.

I was shocked how much help d he kept giving, giving Pangos way too much space. He had to have been instructed to sag.
Alaric
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyscott » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:50 am

I was watching the game and don't need to look back---he had totally lazy out of position defense. He was to flash help D to the post player or driver and immediately get back to his mans' D position...he never did. Very fundamental man defense. Late every time...he had a bad game.
Last edited by ponyscott on Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ponyscott

Postby jimhagle » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:43 am

He tried to drive the lane too much and would just kick it out over and over achieving nothing. It was if the Zags were just toying with him. He has to be better and should have concentrated more on getting open looks outside where he excels. His scoring was sorely missed and his D was bad too.
jimhagle
Heisman

Return to Basketball