PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sterling

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Sterling

Postby MoodyMagic » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:29 pm

Are there any others who suspect Sterling might be being disciplined for something? Sterling was a major contributor in my mind in the 'glue' category last year, and by all accounts only got better over the summer.

Game 1- Sits till almost exactly the 10 minute mark, missing the first rotation

Game 2- As was mentioned in another thread, Sterling brings a lot of toughness to the team that Ben E and JMart have not shown yet. In a game where we were getting bullied i was yelling at the TV for sterling to get some PT.

I'm not a tinfoil hat conspiracy type, really just interested in hearing anyone elses thoughts on his decline in minutes. I'm a pretty firm believer in Larry knows best, but this is a headscratcher
MoodyMagic
Junior Varsity

Re: Sterling

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:34 pm

I was wondering if he might be nursing an injury - but who knows.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ojaipony » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:39 pm

Thinking same thing.

Curious that BenE and KF are starting. Doubtful LB is doing this, but could it be because they are local guys?

Need to start JMart and Sterling. Bet we see that soon. BenE and KF are good off the bench to blow JMart and Sterling (wow, that doesn't look good typed out). Then RM only in a pinch.
ojaipony

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:49 pm

Not surprised Sterling brings good toughness and is a good defender. He doesn't really bring anything on the offensive side. Ben E and KF are both offensive threats and according to everything coming out about practice look really good on both ends of the floor in practice. Now if KF keeps being a turnover machine and is slow on his rotation and if Ben E is going to go 1-9 you will see sterling get more minutes.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby ojaipony » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:05 pm

Pony_Law wrote:Not surprised Sterling brings good toughness and is a good defender. He doesn't really bring anything on the offensive side. Ben E and KF are both offensive threats and according to everything coming out about practice look really good on both ends of the floor in practice. Now if KF keeps being a turnover machine and is slow on his rotation and if Ben E is going to go 1-9 you will see sterling get more minutes.

BenE passed up a few open 3s. He and KF should have a green light (until they don't). :-) Especially when we get down 20+.
ojaipony

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:44 pm

It should be Nic, Ben E, Sterling, Moore, Yanick
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponydawg » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:30 pm

I said the same thing in another thread. My other point was that Sterling has a full year in the system playing with Nic, Moore, and Yanick so those guys should have better chemistry at this point in the season.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Fresno Mustang » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:38 pm

ojaipony wrote:Thinking same thing.

Curious that BenE and KF are starting. Doubtful LB is doing this, but could it be because they are local guys?

Need to start JMart and Sterling. Bet we see that soon. BenE and KF are good off the bench to blow JMart and Sterling (wow, that doesn't look good typed out). Then RM only in a pinch.

How does them being local have anything to do with starting? LB is old school he would never base a lineup around something like appeasing local talent or recruiting.
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby CalallenStang » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:46 pm

Seems to me like Sterling's lack of playing time is down to LB trying to give KF some confidence, and to a lesser extent, trying to give BenE and JMart a run so they will adapt quickly to our system
CalallenStang

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:48 pm

Sterling's limited role has been a mystery to me as well. WTF?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby stl.pony » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Love that kid. Was so bummed when he didn't start against Lamar. Something else has to be going on.
stl.pony
Junior Varsity

Postby shadowman » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:43 pm

hoopmanx wrote:It should be Nic, Ben E, Sterling, Moore, Yanick

Give me Cunningham instead of Yanick, and I agree. Smoother shot (can hit the 12 footer), better freethrow shooter, and more physical.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby MoodyMagic » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:53 am

Shadowman- saw your post in the other thread. Great takes. I'm now on board the cannen should start train as well.

moore brown gu/martin moore cunningham till markus is back

Book it. wins. championships. world domination
MoodyMagic
Junior Varsity

Return to Basketball