PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

1-2

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 1-2

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:54 am

jerry2011 wrote:This is only my second post and I feel like I need to say something because some people post dumb stuff without looking at facts. We have lost 2 games on the road in very hostile environments. One against a potential final 4 team that has been to the fuggin tourny 16 years in a row! Oh and one against Indiana, who has the third most Championships ever. Don't get me wrong, we are a much better team than Indiana and completely blew that game. Not sure what's going on with the turnovers and why doesn't Nic Moore guard the 3? Does he forgot that he is 5-8 and doesn't need to help in the paint? Stay on your guy and stop trying to get a shady steal or commit a dumb foul. In the wise words of Aaron Rogers I think everyone needs to relax. We have a very talented team. Nic Moore, Sterling, JMartin, Ben Moore, and Cunningham should start every game until MK returns, no questions asked. With Ben E. and Yanick the first ones of the bench. Keith can come in a jack some threes but the guy looks clueless out there. Ryan Manual is a freak of nature athlete but needs to shoot when he is WIDE open. I don't care if he misses. Sterling played unreal last night and is an all around tremendous player. Did anyone see Ben Moore's 3 at the end of the game?...well 2 b/c he was on the line. But why isn't he taking more shots? Larry needs to figure it out. Anyways, here's to 7 home games in a row before we head to Ann Arbor. Hopefully we can build up some momentum. I also don't understand why people compare us to last year and complain about not having Mudiay? What good does that do? We are better than last year and anyone that thinks differently is an idiot, IMO. Have faith in the godfather! Also, East Coast Mustang - don't post crap like Arkansas will run us out of Moody. That's a ridiculous statement. We are a completely different team when you sprinkle a little Moody Magic everywhere. Pony up to going 28-2! (That's for sure a more ridiculous statement but I don't care)

As OBF aid that the Indiana loss coluld be a bad loss if they end up 9th or worst in the Big Ten. The selection committee doesn't look at the tradition of Indiana, they look at how good Indiana is this year. Are you saying that at the present time without MK we are better than last year? If so, you you may have to look in the mirror regarding who is the idiot. Without MK we have a good team but not as good as last year imo.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smusic 00 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:02 am

At this time last year, MK was backing up Yannick and not seeing much action.
smusic 00

Postby ericdickerson4life » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:05 pm

Is it wrong that I was so pissed (and still am) that we lost last night simply but also because we can't seem to beat any team in any sport that has a bigger name? Is it too much to ask to beat a down IU team? I need a win (and not we beat the sister's of the poor in bball win) for SMU athletics this season or I may just go sit on the bottom of my pool.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby smusportspage » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:11 pm

I agree. You might try going to read the book of Job. It will make you feel so much better as well as give us all something to ponder. :)
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:10 pm

ericdickerson4life wrote:Is it wrong that I was so [deleted] (and still am) that we lost last night simply but also because we can't seem to beat any team in any sport that has a bigger name? Is it too much to ask to beat a down IU team? I need a win (and not we beat the sister's of the poor in bball win) for SMU athletics this season or I may just go sit on the bottom of my pool.

SMU did beat UConn twice last year. As far as this year is concerned there are still many chances left.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby ericdickerson4life » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:04 pm

I know. Just was hoping to have a good/decent win against a name team already in my sports year. My sports year sucks big time in all phases (college, NFL, high school). Then to have to share a home with a fair weather Baylor fan/alum it makes it worse. Can a brother get a W?!
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby SMU Section F » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:21 pm

I have tried to sympathize, but I absolutely cannot understand the overwhelmingly negative attitude after this week. We lost to a good Gonzaga team that everyone expected to beat us and played an Indiana team close at their place only to let it slip away late. (We were only favored by 3... not exactly last year's Temple or USF.)

Cheer up everyone. No matter what you think of our current team, it is clearly superior than any team of the last decade except last year's. (And they lost their early season tests, too...) We've still got Arkansas and Michigan to go before conference play even starts.

There is still a lot of time left.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby Nacho » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:55 pm

we will be 9-3 when conference play starts.
Nacho

Postby SMU Section F » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:02 pm

Nacho wrote:we will be 9-3 when conference play starts.

Are we allowed to be OK w/ that?

I expected at least two losses just based on the schedule. Even four losses wouldn't completely shock me, although it would leave less room for error in our in-conference games.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:09 pm

SMU Section F wrote:

I expected at least two losses just based on the schedule. Even four losses wouldn't completely shock me, although it would leave less room for error in our in-conference games.

Whether you expected it or not no victories against quality teams would not be good going into conference play since the conference is weaker this year. I like how you are setting things up for 4 losses being okay. :roll:
Last edited by Rebel10 on Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:36 pm

1-2 means opportunities lost but it's way too early to know what this team will become. Those who touted us as a top 10-15 type team just have to readjust their thinking.
Charleston Pony

Postby SMUstangs22 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:56 pm

After a day of reflection I agree I am taking this too negatively. 9-3 would be great in my opinion. WORST CASE beating everyone we should and losing to all others we are looking at 10 regular season losses. That is with a loss at Mich, loss to Ark, 2 to Memphis, 2 to Cincy, 2 to UCONN. Hard to imagine that happens. So if we win the games we should and play conference ball like last year we should be fine. We were not a good road team last year. Lets see if we can take Ark at home and go from there.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU Section F » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:29 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
SMU Section F wrote:

Whether you expected it or not no victories against quality teams would not be goog going into conference play since the conference is weaker this year. I like how you are setting things up for 4 losses being okay. :roll:

"Okay" might not be the right word (and I just said it wouldn't surprise me, not that I'd be happy about it), but it is very possible that we enter conference play with 4 losses. And it is possible that we still have a very successful season after going into conference play with 4 losses. Therefore, I'm not all that worried. If we enter conference play with 5 losses or start the season off with a loss to USF, I'll consider joining the "doom and gloom" crowd.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:45 pm

Section F, just want to know if you define successful season as going to the NIT again?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby SMU Section F » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:05 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Section F, just want to know if you define successful season as going to the NIT again?

That would definitely be below my expectations for this year, but I'd still enjoy the ride thoroughly I'm sure.

I just don't think we're at that point yet. For one thing, I think there's a good chance we do beat Arkansas and Michigan and enter conference play with only this week's losses. If we go 0-4 in non-conference games against real competition I'll certainly be more concerned. But even then, I think a solid showing the conference regular season and tournament gets us in. And if we want to remove all doubt, I still believe this team is capable of winning the conference tournament. (Although I'd hope our berth is secure by then, we saw last season how a good or bad conference tournament can affect a team's NCAA tournament success.)

At the end of the day, I think this is a quality team with a lot of games ahead of it. 1-2 is not an ideal start, but it's the one we've got. Our team is far from perfect, but I still think we have a quality squad capable of putting up some quality wins.

(Also, I just want to point out that losing to Gonzaga and Indiana is probably better for our tournament resume this year than beating Texas-Pan American or Texas State was last year.)
SMU Section F
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball