PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Whoever it was that said we wouldn't miss Mudiay...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Whoever it was that said we wouldn't miss Mudiay...

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:15 pm

...please identify yourself as having written the dumbest prediction on the board this year. Well, maybe second dumbest to mine predicting the football team would go 7-5, but the point stands...we are TERRIBLE at perimeter D right now, turn the ball over way too much, have no one that can get to the rim, and our only consistent outside shooter is Nic -- sure would be nice to have him off the ball with Mudiay getting to the rim and creating shots for him.

On another note, how worthless is Yanick? The competition he faced in that FIBA championship this summer must have been absolute [deleted] garbage for him to be putting up the numbers he was. I hope Markus enjoyed skipping all of those classes and blowing off all of those assignments because not having him out there is killing us right now.

Very frustrating to watch tonight...
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Whoever it was that said we wouldn't miss Mudiay...

Postby Big12Mustang » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:17 pm

You are the dumbest poster, ever think about that, [deleted]?
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:19 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:...please identify yourself as having written the dumbest prediction on the board this year. Well, maybe second dumbest to mine predicting the football team would go 7-5, but the point stands...we are TERRIBLE at perimeter D right now, turn the ball over way too much, have no one that can get to the rim, and our only consistent outside shooter is Nic -- sure would be nice to have him off the ball with Mudiay getting to the rim and creating shots for him.

On another note, how worthless is Yanick? The competition he faced in that FIBA championship this summer must have been absolute [deleted] garbage for him to be putting up the numbers he was. I hope Markus enjoyed skipping all of those classes and blowing off all of those assignments because not having him out there is killing us right now.

I think Hoopmanx is still saying that.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Big12Mustang » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:20 pm

Giving you a little bit of your own medicine, ECM. What I posted earlier...that's you...in every post.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUstangs22 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:22 pm

Maybe we should be more concerned with the current class and the next yrs???
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:22 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:...please identify yourself as having written the dumbest prediction on the board this year. Well, maybe second dumbest to mine predicting the football team would go 7-5, but the point stands...we are TERRIBLE at perimeter D right now, turn the ball over way too much, have no one that can get to the rim, and our only consistent outside shooter is Nic -- sure would be nice to have him off the ball with Mudiay getting to the rim and creating shots for him.

I think Hoopmanx is still saying that.

If Hoopmanx is saying that now, then he is sorely mistaken. Back-to-back games we've gotten killed on the perimeter
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:23 pm

And I agree that we need MK back as soon as possible.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby shadowman » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:41 pm

Not missing Mudiay was predicated on the assumption that Nic Moore is an awesome PG that would be even better this year. His key misses and bad TOs have really hurt so far. I think he is feeling too much pressure.

I still think we will be fine without Mudiay, but obviously we would have been MUCH better with him.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby CenTXpony » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:47 pm

Big12Mustang wrote:Giving you a little bit of your own medicine, ECM. What I posted earlier...that's you...in every post.

Shut up
CenTXpony
Heisman

Postby blackoutpony » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:02 pm

CenTXpony wrote:
Big12Mustang wrote:Giving you a little bit of your own medicine, ECM. What I posted earlier...that's you...in every post.

Shut up

Where our beer money [deleted]?
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:06 pm

to underscore how much we are missing MK, can you imagine how much he would have dominated inside tonight? Even Moriera could have dominated if he could get his steps and balance together. MK would have camped out and owned the block. They would have had to double him and then we would have been able to step into to some 3s on the kickout. Whole offensive dynamic is different without MK.
Hoop Fan

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:16 pm

Hoop Fan wrote:to underscore how much we are missing MK, can you imagine how much he would have dominated inside tonight? Even Moriera could have dominated if he could get his steps and balance together. MK would have camped out and owned the block. They would have had to double him and then we would have been able to step into to some 3s on the kickout. Whole offensive dynamic is different without MK.

We had some 3's that we passed up.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby mrydel » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:18 am

We cannot be missing Mudiay since we never had him on the court. Could we have used him and benefitted? Sure. But you cannot miss what you never had. We have known for a long time he would not be here. He never practiced a minute with the team. As I said before, we miss him as much as we missed Kobe and Jordan.

Now MK we miss.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:19 am

The funniest contention in this thread, is that b/c we were killed on the perimeter defensively, that a ballyhooed frosh mostly known for his O, would have been the anecdote for the opposing 3 ball. We have very real issues defending the arc, and its w/o question, not a one man answer. Its more like a team rotation thing or collective bball IQ.

Got news, talents like Mudiay always help. My contention was that from a chemistry perspective, it was't a very cool thing to do to Nic, who was your first team all conference player last year. He didn't want to be moved off the ball etc. I also knew a little more about his eventual status than most, so I didn't share in anyones 'shock'. Still, we never played w/him, just like we never played w/Josiah Turner. Never hear people go, you know how good we'd be if Josiah had just worked out lol.

Now, NIc has basically stunk 2 games in a row, and lost his position battle twice. We're going to lose when that happens. What we're missing is how we're constructed. Of course MK would have helped last night. That said, Yanick & Ben got most any look they wanted. At worst, we sat Yanick to match up w/them. EFF THAT! Match up w/us for chrissakes.

The issue on this team is that it's done w/o a real plan, b/c it needed to be done so fast. We wanted and needed to be good so fast, we've compiled lots of long athletes w/limited skill sets. We need a few kids in this next class who measure up, but have at least 1 exemplary next level trait, preferably shooting. There are no white boy, rub off 2 screens, always moving, sure fire jumpers. There aren't guys who are multi-skilled before being athletic

Brown/Manuel/Frazier/Emelogu/Martin are REDUNDANT. If one isn't working, you're basically turning to the same kid to answer the problem. Larry has long said he's ok if he has 5 6'7 kids on the floor. I love that idea as well, but that doesn't mean at the expense of skills other teams have.

These last two games have shown us one thing. We can't get looks we want easily in the half court and the other team gets any perimeter look they want. That's a problem that goes so far beyond Mudiay or MK its crazy
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:30 am

Hoopmanx, I respectfully disagree with you. With Mudiay and MK SMU's wins this game. If Nic did not want to be moved off the ball then he is not being a team player. Glad when we get MK back.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Next

Return to Basketball