PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Did We Overachieve Last Year?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby shadowman » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:17 pm

The players from last year look no where near as good this year as they did last year. We can't shoot, we turn the ball over, we make silly passes that have no chance at success.

This is a good team, but no where near a top 25 team. We just don't seem to have the magic we had last year.

Moving forward, Sterling Brown deserves to start and needs mega minutes, he doesn't play scared and when he gets the ball in the paint, he can actually put it in the basket.

Cunningham should start ahead of Yanick. Cannen has a smooth shot, is a good freethrow shooter and is much more physical, yanick will still get his minutes because Cannen is so physical he gets lots of fouls, but Cunningham is our center, start him.

Ben Moore is awesome, he will be an SMU great before its done.

Just have to grow and move on and I want Brown always starting and logging lots of minutes and Cunningham playing as much as possible when his fouls allow it.

I still think we will win the AAC, we are just not a top 25 team at this moment.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Re: Did We Overachieve Last Year?

Postby Big12Mustang » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:19 pm

Deserve not to be ranked right now.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby purduedavie » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:20 pm

Nope, losing your best player right before the season starts is a killer! Gonzaga still wins if Kennedy plays, IU no way!
purduedavie
Scout Team

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:21 pm

shadowman wrote:The players from last year look no where near as good this year as they did last year. We can't shoot, we turn the ball over, we make silly passes that have no chance at success.

This is a good team, but no where near a top 25 team. We just don't seem to have the magic we had last year.

Moving forward, Sterling Brown deserves to start and needs mega minutes, he doesn't play scared and when he gets the ball in the paint, he can actually put it in the basket.

Cunningham should start ahead of Yanick. Cannen has a smooth shot, is a good freethrow shooter and is much more physical, yanick will still get his minutes because Cannen is so physical he gets lots of fouls, but Cunningham is our center, start him.

Ben Moore is awesome, he will be an SMU great before its done.

Just have to grow and move on and I want Brown always starting and logging lots of minutes and Cunningham playing as much as possible when his fouls allow it.

I still think we will win the AAC, we are just not a top 25 team at this moment.

No we did not overachieve last year. We just don't have the people we expected to be here now.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby RyanSMU98 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:22 pm

I don't know that we overachieved last year, but we are definitely underachieving so far this year. Last season we had the benefit of nobody knowing what we could do; we caught some folks off guard but we don't have that advantage this year. I think we came into the year a little overconfident and it is leading to sloppy play. Hopefully tonight taught our boys a little humility and LB can get their heads right. I'm not ready to write the season off by any means, but we need to get back to basics and find our chemistry pretty damn quick.
"I don't think anyone around the country has any idea how good we are going to be." - Coach Justin Stepp

GO MUSTANGS!!!!
RyanSMU98
Heisman

Postby PonySnob » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:24 pm

RyanSMU98 wrote:I don't know that we overachieved last year, but we are definitely underachieving so far this year. Last season we had the benefit of nobody knowing what we could do; we caught some folks off guard but we don't have that advantage this year. I think we came into the year a little overconfident and it is leading to sloppy play. Hopefully tonight taught our boys a little humility and LB can get their heads right. I'm not ready to write the season off by any means, but we need to get back to basics and find our chemistry pretty damn quick.

That case of butthurt given by Gonzaga should have given the team some humility

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby RyanSMU98 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:26 pm

PonySnob wrote:
RyanSMU98 wrote:I don't know that we overachieved last year, but we are definitely underachieving so far this year. Last season we had the benefit of nobody knowing what we could do; we caught some folks off guard but we don't have that advantage this year. I think we came into the year a little overconfident and it is leading to sloppy play. Hopefully tonight taught our boys a little humility and LB can get their heads right. I'm not ready to write the season off by any means, but we need to get back to basics and find our chemistry pretty damn quick.

That case of butthurt given by Gonzaga should have given the team some humility

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed, but Gonzaga is playing top 10 ball at the moment; tonight we lost to a team where I think we had the better team which hopefully pisses them off as much as it pisses us off.
"I don't think anyone around the country has any idea how good we are going to be." - Coach Justin Stepp

GO MUSTANGS!!!!
RyanSMU98
Heisman

Postby 78pony » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:29 pm

Maybe or not overrated. If you refuse to D the 3 when the opponent has little inside game or size - you deserve to lose.
78pony
Heisman

Return to Basketball