PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

About to watch the IU/SMU game, this should be good.

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

About to watch the IU/SMU game, this should be good.

Postby OhioBrownFan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:48 am

I'm livid, the box score SMU destroyed IU in every statistical category other than turnovers. How the fvck does a team have 19 TOs yet only force 7 on a young team? I'm going to reserve rest of judgement til after the game but that stood out to me like a sore thumb.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Re: About to watch the IU/SMU game, this should be good.

Postby OhioBrownFan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:32 am

13 minutes into the 1st half so far.

The problem I have is that Indiana is going to end up being a bad loss. They won't make the tourney and going to be sitting in the bottom half of the B10. Quite disappointing to say the least. SMU better figure out a zone, Larry better start coaching. The turnovers absolutely killed the team, should have been a route in the first half except the turnovers kept SMU in it.

Nic Moore was pretty bad tonight too. Passes weren't on point, which may not sound like a big deal for people that never played, but it's a huge deal. Gotta put the ball where the teammate can catch and shoot or make a move. Bad passes kill a players momentum and he made a lot of poor passes in the 1st half. The turnovers from him weren't too high but he got lucky on a few.

Frazier better pull his head out of his a $$. Foul on a three pointer, 4 point play when the game could have been blown open. Moving screens? This junior high basketball?

Even with the strong rebounding numbers, I've counted 3 missed box outs of nobody putting a body on anyone that led to offensive rebounds and I'm 13 minutes into the first half. Beyond unacceptable out of man defense. It's one thing to give up rebounds offensively, it's unacceptable not to put a body on a man.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby Oliver » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:43 am

This is what surprises me in the end, how can a team coached by Larry brown commit so many turnovers, defend the perimeter so poorly, lose so many vital defensive boards and commit boneheaded fouls. I know Larry is still coaching his [deleted] off, I just didn't expect these guys to make so many mistakes and look so lost.
#GodFather #Tempo
Oliver
All-American

Postby OhioBrownFan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:57 am

Remaining 7 minutes of the first half.

Nice dish by Frazier for a dunk to Cunningham. Good vision and smart pass.

Blackmon, man...I loved that kid through high school and he is lighting it up so far. Troy Williams coming off the bnech because of the car incident, but he's looked pretty good so far in the first half.

I'd say the calls have been fair to this point. Charges were the correct calls, moving screens were the correct calls.

Another good pass by Frazier to Moreira for a lay-up. Why is Ryan Manuel still getting minutes? Kid is broke and should be playing DII. Emelogu with a bad pass across the wing to Frazier, Frazier missed the 3 because it wasn't in rhythm. Details matter.

Moore back on the floor quickly, but so is Manuel. Turnover by Sterling (awful pass on a back-cut) leads to another 3 for Blackmon. 27 up after being up 12-13 early and looking to blow the game wide open..

Nic Moore jacks a quick 3 fading away and off-balance, leads to IU fastbreak, then IU gets bailed out on a clear charge by Troy Williams on the other end. Nice hang and scoop by Nic to tie it back up at 29. Emelogu with another bad pass on a simple pick and roll. Jesus, kid is not the same player he was with VT. He flat out has sucked thus far and deserves a seat next to Manuel right next to the water boys.

Bright spot has been Ben Moore again, go figure. Sterling has looked okay as well when he's not running into his own teammates on the offensive end or throwing passes my grandma could on back door cuts. Keith has played a pretty solid first half minus the dumba%% attack on the 3 pointer that led to a 4 point play. Ben Moore just clearing the glass, love it. Still have yet to see a guard attack from either wing at the hoop. Ben Moore with another TO just as I praise him, brought the ball down underneath and stripped by the guard the doubled-down on him. Martin has gotta hit a wide open 3 from the corner and we're back to Manuel running the show for the final minute and a half. And good call by the refs on a charge on Jonson. Good take by Cunningham. Manuel nearly throws the ball away but gets it back somehow and IU sends SMU to the line in the bonus. Cunningham flat-out outworked for an offensive rebound by Troy Williams.

Just as I think half si coming, SMU with a freaking lane violation on a one and one? WTF.........................[deleted] poor first half given the chance to put the foot to the throat. Not impressed one bit with LBs coaching in this game. Crean doesn't even know how to coach offensively against a zone yet was able to stifle SMU with a zone implemented in the course of 2 days? Unreal...Crean couldn't coach his way out of a ....good lawd.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby OhioBrownFan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:59 am

Oliver wrote:This is what surprises me in the end, how can a team coached by Larry brown commit so many turnovers, defend the perimeter so poorly, lose so many vital defensive boards and commit boneheaded fouls. I know Larry is still coaching his [deleted] off, I just didn't expect these guys to make so many mistakes and look so lost.

Baffling. He sucked it up as far as coaching in the first half. Plain and simple. I'm not expecting much of a difference in the second half considering I know the outcome. But here we go.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby OhioBrownFan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:13 am

Nic Moore with another [deleted] pass right out of the gate, should have been a TO but somehwo SMU got it back. 56%-36% FG in the first half, SMU obviously shooting much better and outrebounding. That should tell you everything you need to know about the first half. Troy Williams starting second half, no surprise and good defensive stand by SMU to force a shot0clock violations. Great pass by Sterling to find the dive (Moreira) for a dunk. Another offensive rebound for IU on a poor box out then travel by Moreira. Nic Moore picks up a quick 3rd foul, I feel like I've seen this tape before? Nic Moore out of the game with 18 minutes left in the 2nd half. He better figure out how to not pick up cheap fouls or Larry needs to figure out how to ride him the rest of the way out. Team sucks without him at point offensively.

Nice drop step by Moreira only to miss the reverse but Sterling was there to clean it up. And SMU is back up, Ben Moore just beasted another rebound and Martin comes up with a 3 on the other end. 5 point SMU lead on a 10-0 run.

Johnson gets to the hoop to easily for a player that's marginally talented. Just sloppy, sloppy possessions offensively for SMU even when the ball does go in. Sterling Brown having a nice little game, nice little floater in traffic, and I did not know that Shannon Brown is Sterlings brother. Talk about having some good blood-lines. Always liked Shannon up at State.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby OhioBrownFan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:18 am

14 minutes to go, 47-44 SMU winning.

Manuel refuses to look at the rim when wide open and consequently leads to a TO on a 3 second call. Get him off the floor. Check that, Nic back in, Ryan to the bench. Nic with a nice feed and Ben can't finish a bunny, ouch. Frazier needs to play 3 feet off his man because he is way too slow and unathletic to stay in front of their guards. I'll let them have a 3 here and there but quit getting toasted going to the hole only to send the defense rotating and leaving a man wide open. As I'm typing, Frazier with a nice corner 3.

50-46 SMU with 11:48 remaining. I'm dreading watching this final 11 minutes...can only imagine how it goes wrong from here.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby OhioBrownFan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:29 am

IU running a beautiful motion offense on a few possessions. Still 50-46. Now another TO by Nic and Blackmon off and running, finishing in transition with contact that wasn't called. Should have been an And 1. Another stupid pass by Nic, freaking bullet to Cunningham through 3 IU players. Just stupid, wondering how mcuh his bball IQ has dropped since last year at the moment. Now an airball by Nic :lol: Jameis...and Blackmon with a 3, IU back up 53-52. 19 points for the freshmen :shock:

Now Brown and Moore both on the bench. I think I'm done watching, that probably explains why SMU lost. I've never agreed with Larry on how he handles foul management. I think you need to ride your guys even with foul trouble when there is such a steep drop-off at certain positions on this roster.

8 mins left, 54-52 IU.

And HOLY SHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYT, Manuel just posterized Indiana. How the fvck can they call a charge on that. Just awful, Ryan went over the defender on the dunk for crying out loud. The announcers are in disbelief. That's pretty bad.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby OhioBrownFan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:32 am

IU with another 3, SMU with another TO, I'm done watching. Disgusted. Frazier caught in midair and throwing it away.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:26 am

I liked reading that commentary on the game. I hope you do more of these.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby GiddyUp » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:38 am

OhioBrownFan wrote:IU with another 3, SMU with another TO, I'm done watching. Disgusted. Frazier caught in midair and throwing it away.
pretty well sums up my feelings
GiddyUp
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby No Quarter » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:09 am

Rebel10 wrote:I liked reading that commentary on the game. I hope you do more of these.

Agrre.

One thing. Seems like I remember talk of nic having a sore knee. If so, has that been a distraction in the games to date?
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby OhioBrownFan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:37 pm

Rebel10 wrote:I liked reading that commentary on the game. I hope you do more of these.

Hopefully I'll be watching it live. What a disappointment though, no question who the better team is unfortunately. SMU completely outmatched Indiana, just too many TOs and key mistakes to overcome in the end.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby blackoutpony » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:59 pm

No Quarter wrote:

Agrre.

One thing. Seems like I remember talk of nic having a sore knee. If so, has that been a distraction in the games to date?

He wore something on his knee last night, which I hadn't noticed him wearing before.

That said, he made some really bad passes along with the rest of the team that made no sense. Watched with my Gonzaga alum roommate who kept wondering why the team was trying to be so cute with their passes. So many unforced errors....
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby OhioBrownFan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:51 pm

blackoutpony wrote:
No Quarter wrote:

Agrre.

He wore something on his knee last night, which I hadn't noticed him wearing before.

That said, he made some really bad passes along with the rest of the team that made no sense. Watched with my Gonzaga alum roommate who kept wondering why the team was trying to be so cute with their passes. So many unforced errors....

Yeah, passes need to be crisp and simple. Too many unforced turnovers when you try to make the pass that gets the crowd excited. Nic would whip the ball when he didn't need to as well, that was another thing that was bothering me.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Return to Basketball