PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Godfather on Turner-administration

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Godfather on Turner-administration

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:27 pm

RyanSMU98 wrote:
EconPony'10 wrote:
ericdickerson4life wrote:This is what happens when you start the season 1-2. If we were 2-1 or 3-0 I doubt most people would be in a teasy over theses comments.

Not really, I feel like most of us have been upset with the administration since it was announced that MK was Ineligible before the season started. Let the kid play, he is here to play bball and that is it. The only thing SMU has done by suspending him is [deleted] off alumn, donors, and create angst for the Godfather and potential recruits. Well played SMU, well played.

I really don't know what to make of the MK situation. The kid transferred from Nova (which is not exactly a slacker school), so I would assume he understands what college level work means. So the question is did he simply blow it off (in which case it is all on him), or is there something else that held him back? Stallion and others like to dismiss it as a baseless claim against the school, while others are quick to assume that Turner and others are intent on destroying athletics by whatever means necessary (just less obviously than Pye was about it). My guess is the truth lies in the middle somewhere, so what the heck do we need to do as a school to make sure every kid that is admitted is successful at achieving whatever their goal is in coming to SMU? That is the question that needs to be addressed because that is the mission of a university whether you're an NBA-bound athlete or a Rhodes Scholar. If there is some piece of support that is missing, let's find it and address it because this [deleted] keeps coming up over and over and over by too many different sources to be simply dismissed as old news. Just because "We're SMU, we do things a little bit different" doesn't mean we're doing it right.

Villanova knows how to get poorly educated kids into their school. Pinckney and McClain weren't Rhodes Scholars.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:29 pm

Footballdad is obviously rooting against the basketball team every chance he gets.

Maybe the new football coach will give his son the "opportunity" to continue playing college football elsewhere
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby SMU2007 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:34 pm

If LB quits in the next year or two bc he is frustrated with admin, I am officially giving up on this university permanently. Hope it doesn't come to that
SMU2007

Postby blackoutpony » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:44 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:Footballdad is obviously rooting against the basketball team every chance he gets.

Maybe the new football coach will give his son the "opportunity" to continue playing college football elsewhere

He doesn't like seeing SMU successful in basketball, because it just proves that SMU will support a winner and he would rather blame our fan base for how terrible the football program is.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ericdickerson4life » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:48 pm

Just to clarify my earlier comments. I was speaking in regards to LB leaving, not to the MK situation. We wouldn't be on here reading/posting comments about how LB is frustrated and getting ready to walk out the door because of Turner/SMU ect. if we were 3-0.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby blackoutpony » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:53 pm

footballdad wrote:
blackoutpony wrote:
footballdad wrote: When Larry leaves the program goes right back in the toilet, Jank or no Jank. They may be decent for a year or two, with the last of Larry's recruits (unless they all follow him out the door), but after that forget it.

Better enjoy his success while his kid is still in school.

If you're actually a father of a football player, I -

1. Feel sorry for your son

2. Hope he transfers so we don't have to hear your asinine comments anymore

Haha, why does the truth get you so riled up? Best to mentally prepare yourself now since you seem to have a weakness there.

You don't have a clue buddy. For all my shortcomings, mental toughness has and never will be one of them.

But seriously, if you hate SMU so much, why don't you encourage your son to go elsewhere? I would imagine he at least had some sort of other opportunity, since most of the players and former players that came out in support of June after listed the fact that no one else gave them an opportunity as a reason why they liked him. You wouldn't take a dump on him to if he was on fire to put it out, so what's the deal here? Does he like actually SMU (education or otherwise), not have any other opportunities, or are you just a massive d-[}ag troll? The fact that I think I like FTHP more than you aside, I'm actually curious here...
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MV pony » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:58 pm

IIRC, Football Dad said that he is not an alum, he has young kids, he is not an SMU player's dad but he hopes to have a son playing for SMU in the future.
MV pony
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:03 pm

Something tells me his kids might have to go the JUCO route, unless the mom is a rocket scientist
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Stallion » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:25 pm

on the lighter side-Larry Brown has had 14 jobs over 47 seasons-pretty well speaks for itself
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby footballdad » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:34 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:Footballdad is obviously rooting against the basketball team every chance he gets.

Just keep sending your $ in for his new stipend 8)
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby footballdad » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:35 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:Something tells me his kids might have to go the JUCO route, unless the mom is a rocket scientist

Haters gonna hate. Who's weaker, East Coast or BlackOut? I say you're both winners!! :D
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:37 pm

RyanSMU98 wrote:
EconPony'10 wrote:
ericdickerson4life wrote:This is what happens when you start the season 1-2. If we were 2-1 or 3-0 I doubt most people would be in a teasy over theses comments.

Not really, I feel like most of us have been upset with the administration since it was announced that MK was Ineligible before the season started. Let the kid play, he is here to play bball and that is it. The only thing SMU has done by suspending him is [deleted] off alumn, donors, and create angst for the Godfather and potential recruits. Well played SMU, well played.

I really don't know what to make of the MK situation. The kid transferred from Nova (which is not exactly a slacker school), so I would assume he understands what college level work means. So the question is did he simply blow it off (in which case it is all on him), or is there something else that held him back? Stallion and others like to dismiss it as a baseless claim against the school, while others are quick to assume that Turner and others are intent on destroying athletics by whatever means necessary (just less obviously than Pye was about it). My guess is the truth lies in the middle somewhere, so what the heck do we need to do as a school to make sure every kid that is admitted is successful at achieving whatever their goal is in coming to SMU? That is the question that needs to be addressed because that is the mission of a university whether you're an NBA-bound athlete or a Rhodes Scholar. If there is some piece of support that is missing, let's find it and address it because this [deleted] keeps coming up over and over and over by too many different sources to be simply dismissed as old news. Just because "We're SMU, we do things a little bit different" doesn't mean we're doing it right.

Ryan,

You say MK transferred from Nova so you would assume he knows what's expected of him. Here is an alternative take on this. Maybe he simply assumed the school would take care of him, just like Nova did, just like all the others schools who recruited him promised they would as well.

I was a student during the Pony Express days. I knew a girl who 'tutored' some of the FB team. In her own words, 'I do their homework, I write their papers, and when possible, I take their exams'.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Nacho » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:38 pm

when larry was first hired he said that he wanted to coach at a good academic school. the average sat at smu is now 1302. we are not at ivy league levels but we are closing in. this is not basket weaving u.
Nacho

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:43 pm

blackoutpony wrote:
footballdad wrote: When Larry leaves the program goes right back in the toilet, Jank or no Jank. They may be decent for a year or two, with the last of Larry's recruits (unless they all follow him out the door), but after that forget it.

Better enjoy his success while his kid is still in school.

If you're actually a father of a football player, I -

1. Feel sorry for your son

2. Hope he transfers so we don't have to hear your asinine comments anymore

Don't know why you would attack him on this assessment, its pretty close to what Hoopmanx said as well when we hired LB. I actually feel there is some real merit to it as well, although I hope both are wrong.
SoCal_Pony

Postby footballdad » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:43 pm

Stallion wrote:on the lighter side-Larry Brown has had 14 jobs over 47 seasons-pretty well speaks for itself

3.357 years per job, about right. So you think Jank takes over and SMU keeps recruiting and winning on the same level as Brown during his first 2 years? Just as important, chances that Maligi or Turner stay?
footballdad
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball