PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Godfather on Turner-administration

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Godfather on Turner-administration

Postby footballdad » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:25 am

Smart of Larry and Jank to create the faux 'coach in waiting' label though. Gets him a bunch more $ before he heads out the door laughing like our good friend June.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby max the wonder dog » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:28 am

PonySnob wrote:Also an interesting comment about guys being too worried about their minutes

Isn't that true for all programs at this level? LB has said every player today thinks they are a one and done.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:38 am

Footballdad doubling up on stupid this morning I see. No fair, reasonable or balanced argument can be made to support those comments.

As for the OP, wow we are going to start a 5 alarm thread about Turner-who he never mentioned-because Larry actually said "We're SMU" with a smile? Apparently the extent of Larry's comments involve a couple of sentences followed with several compliments about how there are a lot assistance and help being provided. You think any Coach is excited about losing his top player to academics-at any school. PANIC
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony81 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:04 pm

I don't know a thing about the MK situation. But I recall that academic casualties happen at all schools. I know the team has tutors and lots of academic support. I'm fine as long as we give these guys every opportunity to do the work . I know most of the players are here to get to a professional BBall career and aren't necessarily looking for a degree.
But we are an university that has to give these guys every shot at an education while they are here. I would far prefer the occasional academic casualty then read about widespread academic cheating (NC and others) that will damage our reputation.

I sense that LB wouldn't be here if we didn't allow him a level playing field to recruit and retain players. No way he would come to SMU if he had impediments to building a quality roster.

So MK sits this semester. Then he - hopefully - is back for conference play and we do well.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby smusportspage » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:07 pm

During that interview Coach Brown also mentioned lack of leadership on the team. That has me worried more than anything else he said. Lack of leadership on the court and in the lockeroom is not developed overnight.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:16 pm

All I know is that my wallet and my support is down to its last major scandal involving top SMU officials.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby ericdickerson4life » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:18 pm

This is what happens when you start the season 1-2. If we were 2-1 or 3-0 I doubt most people would be in a teasy over theses comments.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby EconPony'10 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:32 pm

ericdickerson4life wrote:This is what happens when you start the season 1-2. If we were 2-1 or 3-0 I doubt most people would be in a teasy over theses comments.

Not really, I feel like most of us have been upset with the administration since it was announced that MK was Ineligible before the season started. Let the kid play, he is here to play bball and that is it. The only thing SMU has done by suspending him is [deleted] off alumn, donors, and create angst for the Godfather and potential recruits. Well played SMU, well played.
EconPony'10
Varsity

Postby blackoutpony » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:36 pm

footballdad wrote: When Larry leaves the program goes right back in the toilet, Jank or no Jank. They may be decent for a year or two, with the last of Larry's recruits (unless they all follow him out the door), but after that forget it.

Better enjoy his success while his kid is still in school.

If you're actually a father of a football player, I -

1. Feel sorry for your son

2. Hope he transfers so we don't have to hear your asinine comments anymore
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby footballdad » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:57 pm

Stallion wrote:Footballdad doubling up on stupid this morning I see. No fair, reasonable or balanced argument can be made to support those comments.

As for the OP, wow we are going to start a 5 alarm thread about Turner-who he never mentioned-because Larry actually said "We're SMU" with a smile? Apparently the extent of Larry's comments involve a couple of sentences followed with several compliments about how there are a lot assistance and help being provided. You think any Coach is excited about losing his top player to academics-at any school. PANIC

So you're saying his 'smile' following the "we're SMU" comment was a positive thing? I would call it more of a smirk as he also shook his head in disgust. Would also say his 'compliments' about the assistance for MK were a nice political move to stay in the good graces of those paying his salary and not throw them under the bus. (ala June) If you listen closely he also said "but he's trying....because he's got a chance to be great....because just for him....for his sake."

Larry is pi*sed, he's not throwing SMU any compliments.....stupid.
Last edited by footballdad on Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby footballdad » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:01 pm

blackoutpony wrote:
footballdad wrote: When Larry leaves the program goes right back in the toilet, Jank or no Jank. They may be decent for a year or two, with the last of Larry's recruits (unless they all follow him out the door), but after that forget it.

Better enjoy his success while his kid is still in school.

If you're actually a father of a football player, I -

1. Feel sorry for your son

2. Hope he transfers so we don't have to hear your asinine comments anymore

Haha, why does the truth get you so riled up? Best to mentally prepare yourself now since you seem to have a weakness there.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby RyanSMU98 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:02 pm

EconPony'10 wrote:
ericdickerson4life wrote:This is what happens when you start the season 1-2. If we were 2-1 or 3-0 I doubt most people would be in a teasy over theses comments.

Not really, I feel like most of us have been upset with the administration since it was announced that MK was Ineligible before the season started. Let the kid play, he is here to play bball and that is it. The only thing SMU has done by suspending him is [deleted] off alumn, donors, and create angst for the Godfather and potential recruits. Well played SMU, well played.

I really don't know what to make of the MK situation. The kid transferred from Nova (which is not exactly a slacker school), so I would assume he understands what college level work means. So the question is did he simply blow it off (in which case it is all on him), or is there something else that held him back? Stallion and others like to dismiss it as a baseless claim against the school, while others are quick to assume that Turner and others are intent on destroying athletics by whatever means necessary (just less obviously than Pye was about it). My guess is the truth lies in the middle somewhere, so what the heck do we need to do as a school to make sure every kid that is admitted is successful at achieving whatever their goal is in coming to SMU? That is the question that needs to be addressed because that is the mission of a university whether you're an NBA-bound athlete or a Rhodes Scholar. If there is some piece of support that is missing, let's find it and address it because this [deleted] keeps coming up over and over and over by too many different sources to be simply dismissed as old news. Just because "We're SMU, we do things a little bit different" doesn't mean we're doing it right.
"I don't think anyone around the country has any idea how good we are going to be." - Coach Justin Stepp

GO MUSTANGS!!!!
RyanSMU98
Heisman

Postby footballdad » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:02 pm

max the wonder dog wrote:
PonySnob wrote:Also an interesting comment about guys being too worried about their minutes

Isn't that true for all programs at this level? LB has said every player today thinks they are a one and done.

2 more reasons Larry will probably get tired of this sooner, rather than later.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby smusic 00 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:06 pm

footballdad wrote:
max the wonder dog wrote:

2 more reasons Larry will probably get tired of this sooner, rather than later.

No one expects LB to be here much more than two more seasons anyway - his contract will be up, that's how he set it up. How long have you been following him and SMU basketball? This your first go 'round?
smusic 00

Postby footballdad » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:20 pm

"My first go round?", I guess that's another attempt at an insult? The SMU delusion is that Jank is going to take over, somehow continue recruiting at Larry's level, and SMU will have magically become a basketball school by then, with future tourney runs all but guaranteed.

SMU's history says otherwise. Don't get angry just because I'm stating the obvious.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball