PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Godfather on Turner-administration

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Godfather on Turner-administration

Postby ojaipony » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:33 pm

Stallion wrote:Famous History Majors: (damn we found the same link at the same time)

http://cas.bethel.edu/dept/history/famous_majors

A University is not a trade school. A university should teach its students how to think not how to perform technical rote. mechanical calculation or computer skill. In case you didn't notice because you never took a step outside the business school, SMU is a liberal arts school that attempts to provide a broad based education. Many use a liberal arts education in other graduate level pursuits like Law School, Politics, Education etc. Its nonsense to say that a student should never be a History major.

Before pontificating, please read my post. I said TAKE history courses, but don't MAJOR in it.

By the way, I double majored in Political Science and Journalism.

And my favorite courses in all my time at SMU were the political philosophy ones, a religious history one I took (kept the textbooks in fact I loved them so much - when I couldn't really afford to) and anthropology. I found "prehistoric cultures" absolutely fascinating.

I LOVE the idea of a liberal arts education, especially for someone like me who went to a very bad public high school where we didn't have access to a lot of that stuff (in fact, the state just shut down my high school it was so bad). I got an academic scholarship to SMU regardless (Hunt Scholar) and LOVED my liberal arts education . . . AND I think MAJORING in things like history, philosophy, etc, are silly unless you have a plan to either (a) become a professor of said subjects or (b) go on to grad school . . . or maybe you are from a wealthy family and have something lined up for you regardless post-college (see many on your lists . . . and from a very long time ago).

Don't criticize what you don't know.
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:38 pm

OK let me make myself clear-YOU are an IDIOT for saying this

"in fact, no one should be majoring in history"
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby ojaipony » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:45 pm

Stallion wrote:OK let me make myself clear-YOU are an IDIOT for saying this

"in fact, no one should be majoring in history"

Correct: No one should be MAJORING in history unless they want to go out and teach it. Yes, my opinion. I think EVERYONE should take history courses.

Do you know the difference between taking some classes versus MAJORING in something?

And thanks for the personal attacks on an internet discussion board. How old are you? 12?
ojaipony

Postby Stallion » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:52 pm

No an educated 12 year wouldn't have such a ridiculous opinion that no one should major in History. Tell that to the 7 Presidents since 20th Century and 3 current Supreme Court justices
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby ojaipony » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:56 pm

Stallion wrote:No an educated 12 year wouldn't have such a ridiculous opinion that no one should major in History. Tell that to the 7 Presidents since 20th Century and 3 current Supreme Court justices

Yes, majoring in history helps your chances at becoming POTUS or a member of the SCOTUS in the 21st century. Sorry, I AM an idiot. </sarcasm>
ojaipony

Postby couch 'em » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:14 pm

Stallion wrote: mechanical calculation or computer skill..

"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby StallionsModelT » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:17 pm

Relax Ojai. It was probably a slow night at Cowboys Red River. The kind of low level trim that frequents that place is clearly not impressed with a law degree from Texas Tech hence the attacks.

Oh, and I double majored in Political Science and History and the history major has done literally zero for my career. Thankfully I didn't need it.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby smusic 00 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:36 pm

If you went to SMU to master a particular trade/skill, you wasted a lot of time and money.
smusic 00

Postby footballdad » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:47 pm

ojaipony wrote:
Stallion wrote:No an educated 12 year wouldn't have such a ridiculous opinion that no one should major in History. Tell that to the 7 Presidents since 20th Century and 3 current Supreme Court justices

Yes, majoring in history helps your chances at becoming POTUS or a member of the SCOTUS in the 21st century. Sorry, I AM an idiot. </sarcasm>

Stallion apparently majored in History. Stop p*ssing on his degree, you're upsetting him.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby PerunasHoof » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:08 pm

footballdad wrote:
ojaipony wrote:

Stallion apparently majored in History. Stop p*ssing on his degree, you're upsetting him.

As did I. I also majored in Finance, and currently work in finance (and before that, Law Enforcement). I can say with confidence my History degree is/was just as useful in both careers.

And you footballdad?
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:09 pm

Step son (well, ex wife's son) double majored in history poli sci and is a 2L at Belmont.
RGV Pony

Postby Palmskee » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:21 pm

Cracking up at the history major discussion.

As that famous spanish ad says: "Por que no los dos?"

I was History and Finance double major. History department is really great and I learned a ton, but I would say a good 80%+ of the 25ish graduating history majors intended on going directly to grad school - hence they weren't worried about job prospects.

I really do think having a traditional liberal arts degree in addition to my Finance degree made me more marketable than those without the former, but I would have hated to go through a job search without the latter. After all, I work in Finance now, not History.
Palmskee
Scout Team

Postby SMU2007 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:29 pm

So typical to spend $200k on a liberal arts degree without any consideration of job prospects when you finish in 4 years. Like you said, do both or figure out what you need to do to make yourself marketable. Or just count on going to graduate school.
SMU2007

Postby ponyte » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:10 am

No one needs to major in history. Instead they should read Ponyfans and they will discover the history of every poor decision ever made reflected in our last two generations of athletic decision making. That's major enough.
ponyte

Postby Greenwich Pony » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:18 am

Well, I majored in history, and I have to say that I use the skills the department taught me every day of my career in terms research, critical thinking, writing and communicating. I do have a legal degree, but the skill set I use more frequently, even in practice (which is largely IP and entertainment law for corporations and educational institutions), comes directly from my history major. And I believe that it has very much helped me be far more flexible with the pace of change in ideology and technology than many of my colleagues. And I make a pretty fair living while I'm at it.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Previous

Return to Basketball