PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Godfather on Turner-administration

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Godfather on Turner-administration

Postby smusportspage » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:42 pm

"Better to be realistic and live in the moment and really enjoy every day of successful SMU basketball before it's gone. Simple as that, nothing more sinister ladies."

Why do you hate ladies?
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby jimhagle » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:44 pm

MV pony wrote:There is something that is keeping Larry from closing on the players he wants. If Larry cannot close the deal on his targets, I doubt the new football coach will do better. Don't know what the problem is but it is there. I pray for the day Turner leaves.

Turner,Thomas,Gilder,Hogg,etcetera...you make a very good point. I guess we are holier than though or so people like Turner think.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby SMU1523 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:11 pm

Stallion wrote:You mean the teacher that gave him the poor grade? Surely your not saying that Turner should be involved in changing grades against NCAA rules are you? You people do know this board is a vacuum filled with jock-sniffers whose opinions rarely have any resemblance to reality.

If you are referring to my comment, I never said his grades should have been changed or President Turner should have changed them. All I said was Larry's reaction was damning and he seemed frustrated with the administration or possibly an individual that was involved with Mr. Kennedy's eligibility. My opinion really doesn't matter, I just commented on what I saw. It does seem there is some tension with our HOF coach and the academic side of the university. IMO, that seems clear.
SMU1523
Heisman

Postby GiddyUp » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:13 pm

footballdad wrote:Smart of Larry and Jank to create the faux 'coach in waiting' label though. Gets him a bunch more $ before he heads out the door laughing like our good friend June.
extra snarky in that one FD
GiddyUp
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby footballdad » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:15 pm

blackoutpony wrote:
footballdad wrote:
Mestengo wrote:Say football Dad I bet your son wishes you would shut your pie hole. Not fare to him that you busted out of the closet and started burning down the house. As an X player parent that's a line you have jumped over and urinated on. You play the game while your there - leave at least the perception that you care. Protect your sons interests. I guess it's to late now ashes everywhere.

yeah you're right, it's not 'fare' ?????? :roll:

Plenty of CURRENT player parents absolutely trying to burn down the June Jones debacle. As an X PLAYER parent you should just mind your own business. Let me guess, you were probably one of the moronic Jones cheerleaders who still support him to this day?

If so, you were part of the problem we will now spend years trying to fix.

How about you mind your own business, which is clearly not the best interests of our program, and is only your son, and butt out?

But, you still haven't answered my question. If you want to burn this down so much, why don't you just have him transfer? Rectify the mistake you made?

Why are you even on the bball board anyway? Just to troll?

I am now forced to make him stay just so you can help pay for his free ride. You and you alone are the sole reason he will be staying at SMU.

June has been burned down, now time to rebuild.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby footballdad » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:19 pm

GiddyUp wrote:
footballdad wrote:Smart of Larry and Jank to create the faux 'coach in waiting' label though. Gets him a bunch more $ before he heads out the door laughing like our good friend June.

Quite the conspiracy theory I know 8) Hey, Larry's had 14 other jobs so I'm sure he knew exactly what he was doing.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU1523 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:20 pm

footballdad wrote:
blackoutpony wrote:
footballdad wrote:
yeah you're right, it's not 'fare' ?????? :roll:

Plenty of CURRENT player parents absolutely trying to burn down the June Jones debacle. As an X PLAYER parent you should just mind your own business. Let me guess, you were probably one of the moronic Jones cheerleaders who still support him to this day?

If so, you were part of the problem we will now spend years trying to fix.

How about you mind your own business, which is clearly not the best interests of our program, and is only your son, and butt out?

But, you still haven't answered my question. If you want to burn this down so much, why don't you just have him transfer? Rectify the mistake you made?

Why are you even on the bball board anyway? Just to troll?

I am now forced to make him stay just so you can help pay for his free ride. You and you alone are the sole reason he will be staying at SMU.

Classy
SMU1523
Heisman

Postby ojaipony » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:50 pm

Right now, LB holds all the cards (every one of these kids are coming here because of him - we need 2-3 seasons of deep tourney runs to establish a "tradition" and then need Jank and maybe Turner to stay a bit - Maligi I wouldn't count on - he might even jump BEFORE LB leaves).

Regarding the SMU admin - I hear you, Stallion. I really do. I was only able to come and stay at SMU because I got a full ride academic scholarship and worked 2 jobs while there to have a little spending money - no time to join a frat. I'm "all in" when it comes to academic excellence no doubt about it whatsoever . . . HOWEVER . . . in the real world, there are exceptions. MK is one of them. Him not being eligible is unacceptable. You make a good point about UT and other examples about other schools and the list of academic ineligibilities. But I don't see Swoopes ineligible. Or anyone that really matters to the on court / field success. This is all on the SMU admin. And, yes, Turner should influence grades - it's called employer/employee. Turner is the CEO, professors are the employees. It's the no [deleted] reality . . . call it whatever you want, but that's the reality.
ojaipony

Postby smusic 00 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:41 pm

footballdad wrote:
GiddyUp wrote:

Quite the conspiracy theory I know 8) Hey, Larry's had 14 other jobs so I'm sure he knew exactly what he was doing.

Do you really not know LB's history until you read it here? Why are you pretending to know about stuff you are ignorant of?
smusic 00

Postby Balatro Diabolus Ex » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:03 pm

SMU1523 wrote:Just watched the clip and crap, LB's reaction is damning. You can clearly see his frustration with the administration or the person who had the authority to sit Kennedy.

Do you mean the NCAA? They make the rules regarding academic eligibility, and they have the authority to sit pretty much anybody. If LB is frustrated with the NCAA rules, that shouldnt really surprise anybody, either. His last 2 college jobs saw lots of on-court success, but ended with those schools on major probation. Kansas had to forfiet its national title. Larry has never liked the NCAA's rules and isnt shy about trying to bypass them. He has always been a better fit in the NBA, rather than college. He also rarely stays anywhere longer than 3 years, thats about his average. I've been saying this for awhile, and everyone keeps telling me "Oh no! Larry Loves It Here! He wants to stay and buld a program, and his kids go to school here, Larry will stay here till he dies!" Well, sorry, but thats not the reality of it. Larry is a rolling stone, he never stays anywhere. Regardless of the reason why, I dont expect him to be here more than one more year. I thought it would be an NBA team hiring him away, but it could be anything. He has always been upwardly mobile, call it looking for new challenges, he never stays any one place too long.

I know everybody loves Coach, I do too, but this is his history, and everyone should have realized when he came here that he was just a short term thing, because thats his nature.
Balatro Diabolus Ex
All-American

Postby blackoutpony » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:06 pm

footballdad wrote:

Well at least I graduated a few years ago, so I don't have that on my conscious. Tell your son I'm sorry and that it's all my fault.

I'd play the guessing game as to who he is, so I could send him a nice floral arrangement and some muscle milk, but we have too many kids with no other offers for me to be able to get close to nailing it down.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sbsmith » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:14 pm

Balatro Diabolus Ex wrote:Kansas had to forfeit its national title.

No they didn't.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby redpony » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:17 pm

I think LB is 'putting on a good face' but inside I suspect he is seething at his probs with the admin. I have to wonder if he has spoken with D.Miller and some of the other influencial alums about this problem. If these issues continue then I think he will leave sooner rather than later.
redpony

Postby Balatro Diabolus Ex » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:23 pm

sbsmith wrote:
Balatro Diabolus Ex wrote:Kansas had to forfeit its national title.

No they didn't.

Sorry, you're right, they were banned from the following seasons tournament, but kept the '88 title.
Balatro Diabolus Ex
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:18 pm

I must say, it's a good thing footballdad's son is getting a free ride, because it doesn't appear as if his father has any type of gainful employment keeping him busy right now
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball