PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Where are all the Pontificators that said

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:01 am

Where are all the Pontificators that said we would be fine without a backup point guard? Some said the Manuel would be better and the Emelogu and Martin would be able to play the point in an almost arrogant way. Are you still out there?
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Where are all the Pontificators that said

Postby Big12Mustang » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:10 am

Oh shut up man...why is everyone here so negative and looking for those "aha! I told you so! This team is junk, SMU sucks! Bla bla" horsecrap?! Do you feel happy when these miserable things happen?
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby CoxMustangFan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:13 am

That's the go-to position for many SMU fans. Be negative so you can either take pride in being "right" or be so damn happy you're wrong. We're 1-2 instead of 2-1. No reason to hide the scissors.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU 86 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:16 am

Big12Mustang wrote:Oh shut up man...why is everyone here so negative and looking for those "aha! I told you so! This team is junk, SMU sucks! Bla bla" horsecrap?! Do you feel happy when these miserable things happen?

Why would you say the team is junk? But backup point guard is a must. People were saying the Emelogu /Martin were much better than Russell/Williams which may turn out to be true but it is not starting out that way. Maybe because the system takes a while to learn. I think we will be okay when MK returns and make a run for the big dance. :D
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby PonySnob » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:19 am

SMU 86 wrote:Maybe because the system takes a while to learn. I think we will be fine when MK returns.

New players/freshman at other schools seem to be able to step right in and have big nights. See Blackmon last night.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Blunt Pony » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:26 am

We are playing better teams on the road early in the season with a lot of new faces and without one of our best players from last year. That is the reality. Hopefully these tough games prepare us for a good future. At least the team gets a look at good competition early in the season which should be a benefit to toughen up the team.

Having said that, I really thought we needed that game last night. I think it would have given this group a lot of confidence and would have given us a nice quality win early in the season.

Got to move on but that one stings.
Blunt Pony
Varsity

Postby Big12Mustang » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:29 am

SMU 86 wrote:
Big12Mustang wrote:Oh shut up man...why is everyone here so negative and looking for those "aha! I told you so! This team is junk, SMU sucks! Bla bla" horsecrap?! Do you feel happy when these miserable things happen?

Why would you say the team is junk? But backup point guard is a must. People were saying the Emelogu /Martin were much better than Russell/Williams which may turn out to be true but it is not starting out that way. Maybe because the system takes a while to learn. I think we will be okay when MK returns and make a run for the big dance. :D

I didn't say the team is junk. Others have subtly suggested it with their "Without Markus we aren't that good" rhetoric.
This is a very solid basketball team that needs to work on its confidence and build its own identity and that will take some time to develop. We will recover and we will do good as the year goes by, I'm sure.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU 86 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:40 am

PonySnob wrote:
SMU 86 wrote:Maybe because the system takes a while to learn. I think we will be fine when MK returns.

New players/freshman at other schools seem to be able to step right in and have big nights. See Blackmon last night.

True but our system may be more complex than others especially on defense.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby ericdickerson4life » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:58 am

This is pretty simple stuff folks. You can't turn the ball over almost 20 times in a game and expect to win. That has little to do with a backup point guard.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:04 pm

The lack of a backup PG is going to be a problem all year, but to be fair, when Manuel came in for Nic in the second half I think we scored on several consecutive possessions.

Bottom line, our starting PG and best player has had two off nights in a row and we've lost both games.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby ojaipony » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:24 pm

Blunt Pony wrote:We are playing better teams on the road early in the season with a lot of new faces and without one of our best players from last year. That is the reality. Hopefully these tough games prepare us for a good future. At least the team gets a look at good competition early in the season which should be a benefit to toughen up the team.

Having said that, I really thought we needed that game last night. I think it would have given this group a lot of confidence and would have given us a nice quality win early in the season.

Got to move on but that one stings.

Great post. Pretty much sums up my perspective/opinion.
ojaipony

Postby blackoutpony » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:27 pm

Because people are being realistic not negative.

Now go back to your 9-3 prediction football board and leave us alone.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Big12Mustang » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:47 pm

blackoutpony wrote:

I am not leaving, [deleted]. Can you get that through your head? It's not realism, it's negativity and it is contagious. You suck as a fan. I have never read anything from you that is positive or good about SMU, our programs or our student athletes.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby blackoutpony » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:52 pm

Big12Mustang wrote:
blackoutpony wrote:

I am not leaving, [deleted]. Can you get that through your head? It's not realism, it's negativity and it is contagious. You suck as a fan. I have never read anything from you that is positive or good about SMU, our programs or our student athletes.

You don't know how to read very well then, do you?
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:05 pm

ericdickerson4life wrote:This is pretty simple stuff folks. You can't turn the ball over almost 20 times in a game and expect to win. That has little to do with a backup point guard.

Did you watch either game? When the primary point guard is making a lot of unforced turnover and bad decisions sometimes you need someone else to come in and try to calm things down. Backup point guard is not just for when the primary gets in foul trouble.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Next

Return to Basketball