PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU vs WF

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU vs WF

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:18 pm

Come on Guys! we're gettin destoryed out there!!! Show em what a true Mustangs Is!!!

SMU-11 Wake Forest-23 7:26 1st Half
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: SMU vs WF

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:28 pm

My God!

SMU-15 Wake Forest-36 2:57 in 1st Half
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:39 pm

I am under the impression you haven't watched us this year. We are not a good team at all...I am sure Hopkins would make a difference but we are getting ZERO results from a team aspect. Same story, new year.

We look ridiculous out there. They should be very embarassed.
Pony_Fan

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sun Dec 15, 2002 10:36 pm

you're right this is the only game I've watched all year
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Dec 15, 2002 10:54 pm

TEAM basketball - what we've been missing for the last 5 years. All 9 Wake players scored in this game. Outrebounded and outassisted (is that a word?)
Pony_Fan

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 15, 2002 10:59 pm

games like tonight are what make it tough being a Mustang fan. We were out of that game at what...about the 15 minute mark of the 1st half? I hope BHop heals enough to be a factor by the time we start conference play, because we don't have guys who can create their own shots off the dribble. If this team is going to be competitive, we deperately need a point guard who can penetrate and set guys up.

We might struggle to win another game in the non-conference schedule. App State will be a tough team on their home court. They beat UNCC in Charlotte and will actually be looking at SMU as a "name" opponent, so I expect them to play with some intensity. At least the WAC looks really weak this year, so we should be able to make a run at .500 in conference play.
Charleston Pony

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 15, 2002 11:10 pm

We need to recruit players who can shoot, shoot, shoot. Our marksmanship is abysmal. Quinton Ross had no help out there.

Postby football_fan » Sun Dec 15, 2002 11:39 pm

holy mother of god!!!!!!! what was that??

it use to be that during football season we could say, "at least we have basketball" but i guess those days are gone now too. i would say "at least we have soccer," but i'm afraid that would most likely send them to a similar fate.

maybe we should move away from sports in our "at least we have...." claims. here are a few i think we could use:

"at least we have the head bball coach with the worst haircut"

"at least we ended navy's two year losing streak" (the nations longest at the time, no record is safe with us around i guess)

"at least we made over 50% of our point after attempts" (although it was tough and go there for awhile)

"at least we have copeland as our ad" wait a minute, maybe...............

i think i might change my name to girlsvolleyball_fan, how did they do this year?
football_fan

Postby Buddha » Mon Dec 16, 2002 12:04 am

Hey football_fan, try this one:

"at least we're adding equestrian as a varsity sport in the future"

and no, that's not a joke.
Buddha
All-American

Postby RE Tycoon » Mon Dec 16, 2002 1:24 am

This was an absolutely horrible performance by our team. No hustle at all, I don't even think they wanted to be there. We shut down (read: foul trouble) the ACC's leading scorer and we were still blown out of the building. Voc is horrible at point. He had three or four passes that were not even close to an SMU player. He can't make a three to save his life and neither can anybody else. It's a disgrace. The one thing that constantly ticks me off is our lack of fundamentals. I don't know how many time we got a rebound, and a Wake player poked it out of our hands. They taught me in 2nd grade to keep the ball under my chin with both hands after I got the ball. I have to blame this on Dement. He is a bad coach and has done nothing to prove otherwise in his years here.
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Postby smudad » Mon Dec 16, 2002 7:32 am

SMU pass = something you do with the ball to get rid of it 'cause you've exhausted all your dribble possibilities.
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Postby Nacho » Mon Dec 16, 2002 11:03 am

I remember when Troy Matthews and Jameil Rich could shoot from the outside. Poerner, for a big man, could also shoot. Woods was somewhat streaky. Since then we can't hit a 3 to save our lives. We live and die by driving to the hole. When the refs aren't giving us calls we fall desperately behind. We are a one trick pony; when that trick isn't working we are toast. That was a bad display of basketball last night. This team has been stuck in neutral for a long time.
Nacho

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 16, 2002 11:52 am

I withdraw my previous statement about Quinton Ross having no help out there. I just read the paper -- I had no idea he shot that poorly last night.

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Dec 16, 2002 12:19 pm

I don't think there was one positive to take from that game except maybe that Hopkins didnt delay his recovery further by playing hurt. The effort was really weak and it has been in each of the 3 road games. I dont know if we are intimidated on the road or what. We'll see what kind of effort we put up at home against Baylor, I dont have high hopes for the App State game at this point.
Hoop Fan

Postby Duke Blue Blood » Mon Dec 16, 2002 12:36 pm

We just looked lost. Almost as if we had no set plays. I know this can't be true, but that was horrible. Wake is a good team, but they are not 24 points better. Wake clearly knew that all they had to do is shut down Q.

Q is the only guy playing with heart. There was a huge psychological barrier out there in the first half.

DBB
Duke Blue Blood
Heisman

Next

Return to Basketball