PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Just Wondering

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Just Wondering

Postby Ringer » Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:01 am

How would Jay Poerner(sp?) compare to Eric Castro talent wise. I think eric has tremendous potential that should be used more to SMU's advantage. I compare him to Jay because I believe that Jay's talents were cultivated and used wisely. If Eric is given a little more room to take that outside shot that will open up the paint. That is what Jay was able to do when he was at SMU. Eric stepping outside to shoot together with more passing around the perimeter I think would open up more scoring. This business of dribbling around giving up the dribble when a little pressure is applied and then taking a low percentage shot is for the birds. It is very transparent and obviously not working.
Ringer
Recruit

Re: Just Wondering

Postby Nacho » Wed Dec 18, 2002 4:17 pm

I like Castro. I like him a lot. He will take it strong to the basket. Poerner was more of a 3 forced to play the 5, which he did pretty well. He had a very good 3 point shot. He was taller at 6-10. Castro at 6-8 is a 4 or 5 playing the 4 or 5. He has a decent outside shot but not in the same league as Poerner. What bothers me about Castro this year is his free throw form. He now locks his knees and looks robotic or I hate to say this like Forinash. I saw Jon play in hs. He had a nice shooting touch from the FT line and mid-range. I once commented that someone had taught him how to shoot. His shooting fundamentals were good. His low post game was not developed. As a result he should have been red-shirted. By the time he left SMU he couldn't throw it in the ocean. I don't know what happened to him. Every shot was a prayer. He was bouncing FTs off the rim and backboard. It was painful to watch. Bless you Jon Forinash. I hope you are doing well. I love you Jon Forinash and not just because you are 6-11 and 280.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Duke Blue Blood » Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:36 pm

Poerner could actually create a shot and was a good shooter. No contest.

DBB
Duke Blue Blood
Heisman

Postby Corso » Wed Dec 18, 2002 7:59 pm

Poerner was a hell of a player. He's taller than Castro, and he was quicker, although to be fair, he was not as strong as Eric. But he had an array of good low-post moves, and was as consistent as any player we've had since .... Eric Longino maybe? His mechanics were flawless. He was a coach's dream, in talent and in work ethic. If he had more athletic ability, he'd be in the NBA right now.

And he's married to Dana Larsen of Fox Sports Southwest. So he's got that going for him. Which is nice.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Return to Basketball