PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Lon Kruger?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Lon Kruger?

Postby JasonB » Fri Dec 27, 2002 8:09 pm

Fired by the Hawks... a solid replacement for Dement?

I guess I am more a fan of set offenses than what Dement tries to run. There is no balance on the team, because the guards are expected to create rather than run set plays. And the last two years, the lack of a true point guard has made it evident that we will struggle unless there is consistant play from that position. Granted, if you have a great one (Hopkins), he will shine in the system. But when he is out, and with Voc not healthy yet, the team really struggles on offense because of its reliance on individual creation rather than pure execution of plays. That's also why big men don't get involved offensively on Dement's teams - when guards are expected to create and drive, they tend to dish outside - there aren't a lot of set plays run to a post.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Lon Kruger?

Postby ClassOf81 » Sat Dec 28, 2002 5:43 pm

I hadn't thought of that, but I agree that Krueger would be a perfect fit, if we could afford him and if he'd take the job. What were his college jobs before he went to the Hawks? I know he coached at Illinois, and I think Florida was on his résumé somewhere along the line, although I can't swear to it. Either way, Dement's still under contract, and Krueger is probably sitting back and counting the money from his contract dismissal by the Hawks, so there's no immediacy in such a move. But he's a good coach, and he can recruit. I'm ready to see a change made. Dement's had chances, but the results haven't matched expectations.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Re: Lon Kruger?

Postby DenPony » Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:17 pm

Lonnie coached at K State. It was the last time they were decent. There is no hope for SMU to get him. He will have many college options to go where basketball is supported, appreciated and loved by more than 2000 people. While I agree that Dement isn't getting it done with his 3 man offense, I'm not sure we can attract a better coach. When coaches look at jobs, the amount of support from alumni and students is importatant. Other than those on this board, we pretty much fail all the criteria to be able to attract a good name coach. No fan base, no money support, no attendance, no legacy, old facilities and a school that puts football first. Sorry but that's the truth.
DenPony

Return to Basketball