PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Maybe Mike won't but I will...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Maybe Mike won't but I will...

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 30, 2002 3:08 am

Mike Dement said he will not pin the loss to UNLV loss tonight on the REFS screw ups. I will. 30 fouls were called on SMU and only 20 were called on UNLV. With 1:20 Q hit a shot for the lead and they called it a charge...from the announcer's description it sounded like a block. If the correct call was made we would have won 81-79... if more correct calls were made we would have blown them out. What is up with this lopsided officiating...we never get the calls at our home court...I think we should.

Re: Maybe Mike won't but I will...

Postby PX » Mon Dec 30, 2002 2:45 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by harvardred&yaleblue:
<B>Mike Dement said he will not pin the loss to UNLV loss tonight on the REFS screw ups. I will. 30 fouls were called on SMU and only 20 were called on UNLV. With 1:20 Q hit a shot for the lead and they called it a charge...from the announcer's description it sounded like a block. If the correct call was made we would have won 81-79... if more correct calls were made we would have blown them out. What is up with this lopsided officiating...we never get the calls at our home court...I think we should.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didnt see the UNLV game, so I wont argue that we got homered a bit. I imagine we probably did. Thats the way it has always been in the WAC, and UNLV is a former WAC school.
But you're wrong when you say we dont get the calls at home. Everyone is ranting about the foul disparity, 30/20, but look back at our home games this year. 32 fouls on TCU, to 20 on SMU. 30 fouls on UNT, 16 on SMU. 4 opposing players fouled out in those 3 games, no SMU players fouled out, only once have we had a player pick up his 4th foul in a home game. And I'll guarantee you right now that Joe Keep, San Diego's best player, will foul out against us on Thursday.
Our home opponents have attempted a combined 50 free throws. SMU has more than doubled that, with 106.
Thats the way it has always gone in the WAC, its always been a homer league. Trust me, the fans and radio announcers from our opponents scream bloody murder about the officiating in Moody, just as much as our fans complain about games like last night. We've had some ridiculous calls go our way. I'm still laughing over one from the UNT game, where Voc tackled one of the North Texas players after a scramble for a loose ball, but the refs just called it out of bounds and gave us back the ball.
Last night wasnt the first or last time we'll see a homer officiating crew. Better get used to it. If you want to win in the WAC, its something you have to overcome.
PX
Varsity

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 30, 2002 3:25 pm

Point taken. It's just frustrating to lose a one point game when there is su****ion of bad officiating or any one point game for that matter

Postby FloridaMustang » Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:47 pm

does anyone else chuckle when they see refs with glasses?
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby PK » Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:57 pm

It's not the refs wearing glasses that bother me....it's the ones that should be wearing glasses and obviously left them at home. Image
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smudad » Tue Dec 31, 2002 2:03 pm

I know a guy who used to call HS and some college ball. He lost an eye in a home accident when he was young. He once was blind-sided with a ball during a game he was calling. Knocked his glasses off and the 'clear' lense out on his bad side. Rather just put it in his pocket and go on, he went through the whole ordeal of taping the lense back before play resumed. No one but his partner ever knew.

BTW, just days after the loss of the eye, he went 2/3 in major city fast pitch softball. Had to turn around and go lefty to get his good eye as the follow eye to pick up the ball. Also, his brother was once on faculty at SMU - Lonnie Kliever. Some of these guys are - or have been - good athletes. I rag 'em as much as anyone. But I wouldn't do what they do for any amount of money.
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Postby Fingers » Tue Dec 31, 2002 2:29 pm

I agree, I wouldn't ref for any amount of money. I bark at them just like everyone else, but it's usually to remind them to call it the same way on both ends of the court. Sometimes they get in streaks, just like the players.

I really enjoyed the reference to major city fast pitch softball. That was some fun game to play. Unfortunately, that game has been left to the women and girls now so the "men" can all guzzle beer while they put out next-to-no effort in a slow pitch game. Oh well, I guess I truly qualify as an old-timer now, huh?
Fingers

Postby tmustangp » Tue Dec 31, 2002 11:34 pm

harvardred dude... we didn't see the game in dallas but i was listening on the radio and there were a few questionable calls in the last few minutes... but just to let u know, it was an away game at unlv.. we were not at home
tmustangp
All-American

Postby smudad » Thu Jan 02, 2003 10:12 am

To continue this thought a bit, I wonder if officials in most sports shouldn't have to maintain some sort of physical conditioning. More than glasses, I cringe when I see guys, of whatever age, trudging up and down a court or field who are substantially over weight. From a fan perspective, I hate to see calls phoned in long-distance. From a purely human perspective, seeing one of those guys' heart explode during a game is a major worry. It is no guarantee, as the story of Steve Telaneous recently proved, but having these guys (and ladies) in some sort of shape to do the job wouldn't hurt. I remember trying to play basketball in city leagues several years after HS & college. Trying to discern an event happening in front of me through the 'stars' was tough as a player. It can't be easy late in a game or a half for some of these officials either.
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Return to Basketball