PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

What's going on?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

What's going on?

Postby MustangFan » Mon Dec 30, 2002 1:37 pm

We hit 12-of-23 3-pointers? Not to throw stones, but that's a far cry from what I've been reading earlier this year.

The breakdown:
Q - 1/2
Isham - 3/3!
B. Hopkins - 5/11
Simpson - 1/2
Miller - 5/11
Atkins - 1-3

If we can shoot like that from long range, we can compete with anyone in the WAC. We might not beat everyone, but we can compete. The way we were shooting 3's before, we were in big trouble. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

Did Kris Lowe really not play? I didn't see his name in the box score. Is he hurt?
MustangFan
All-American

Re: What's going on?

Postby Hoofprint » Mon Dec 30, 2002 3:10 pm

Even more encouraging: 16-for-20 from the free throw line.
When's the last time we hit 80% from the line?
Maybe the shooting slump has ended.
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Dec 30, 2002 3:32 pm

Kris has not played very well thus far and seems to be in Dement's doghouse. He's playing with no confidence. It's a shame because I think he really is a talented player. The same can be said for Miller. He was aggressive and a very good offensive option last season before his injury but so far this year he isnt close to being the same player. I'm not sure the root of the problem for either.
Our three point shooting is a strange deal. We had been absolutely horrid before last night when we make 11 and shoot around 50% in a tough building??? And wasnt the 3 point line a little further back for these 2 games??
It is very hard to get a read on this team but one thing seems to be happening, Bryan is coming around. A 100% Hop alone is worth the price of admission. He is special.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Dec 30, 2002 4:01 pm

As CP said, I am a little disturbed by our assist numbers - even for Bhop. I thought he would be distributing the ball more..we'll see how it plays out if he is truly near full health.
Pony_Fan

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Dec 30, 2002 5:35 pm

I hear what you are saying about the assist to turnover ratio but I dont think you can totally blame Bryan for that. I have only seen the TCU, Tech, and UNT games and several of his turnovers in those games were a result of the other guys not catching his pass or not moving the way he had anticipated. You have to remember Bryan has always played with great players, great big men in particular. Bosh at Lincoln and several very good big men on Team Texas. When he got them the ball they grabbed it and finished. To be perfectly honest, this is probably the least talented team he has ever played on. I really believe the turnover/assist problem will improve with time.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby DiamondM » Mon Dec 30, 2002 8:39 pm

Actually, the paper said Kris Lowe would not play because he was still suffering from a high ankle sprain. With our foul trouble last night, Dement would have used him if he could have.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby PonyTales » Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:45 pm

I agree with LA_Mustang - Kris Lowe has looked lost and confused all year, at least in the home games. I don't know if it's because of an injury, or because of alterations in the offense, but he's been utterly ineffective. So far. Hope he gets his touch back.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby DenPony » Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:07 pm

Guys, I think BHop is good too but this is going way too far when you assume that the other players are going the wrong way when there is a turnover. Passing and cutting is a communications thing. BHop is as much to blame as his teammates. PSimp was a very highly respected player (probably top 100 USA). I guarantee you this SMU team is more talented than BHop's HS team. Yes- Bosh may be great but no one else on the starting lineup for the HS could crack the Ponies lineup this year. Get a grip.
DenPony

Postby FloridaMustang » Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:45 pm

agreed...B-Hop is to blame for some of the passes...the key is communication. more attention needs to paid to this in practice. this team seems to be coming together well...they seem to rally around B-Hop. however, too often on this board, b-hop is praised when he shouldn't be...just because smu has such a highly touted recruit on the floor doesn't mean we should forsake the rest of the team! credit should be given where it is due. just blame dement for everything that goes wrong Image
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Return to Basketball