PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Defense

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Defense

Postby Pony4Life » Tue Dec 31, 2002 2:32 pm

I don't care if this is women's ball or TCU - this is really impressive.

From espn's website:

Texas Southern's 16 points break 1983 record

Associated Press
FORT WORTH, Texas -- Texas Christian set an NCAA record for fewest points allowed when the Lady Frogs beat Texas Southern 76-16 on Monday night.

The 16 points allowed broke a nearly 20-year-old NCAA record for fewest points in an NCAA game. Prairie View scored 19 points against Jackson State in 1983.

"To hold a national record defensively, I think, is a credit to our team," TCU coach Jeff Mittie said.

TCU also set a school record with 16 blocked shots and outrebounded Texas Southern 62-34.

The Lady Frogs (6-5) jumped to a 15-0 lead and built a 39-5 lead by halftime as Texas Southern made just 2 of 25 shots from the field.

Texas Southern (2-7) shot just better than 10 percent (6-of-58) for the game and had 29 turnovers.

At one point, Texas Southern went without a field goal from Victoria Jones' layup with 13:32 remaining in the first half until Patricia Hunter's short jumper with 13:25 left in the game made the score 55-7.

"This game shocks me a little bit because they played a good schedule," Mittie said. "This was a case of us being very good at times and them just struggling."

Grace Gantt led TCU with 16 points, and Sandora Irvin had 15 points and 12 rebounds.

Jennifer Hickmon had five points for Texas Southern, which was coming off a 67-46 loss against Texas A&M on Sunday.

The record win came just two days after TCU beat a Top 10 team for the first time in school history, a 70-53 victory over then-No. 9 Vanderbilt on Saturday night.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Re: Defense

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:10 pm

Impressive? More likely classless coaching by a guy starved for attention and recognition. Mittie wanted the mens job at TCU badly and its pretty safe to say the guy seeks the limelight. In terms of womens hoops, I dont pay alot of attention, but why dont you think that Tennessee, Connecticut or La Tech hold that defensive record? Its because their coaches choose not to embarrass their opponents.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Nacho » Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:43 pm

I'm with you Hoop Fan. Pure TCU no class all the way. It's exactly what Billy Tubbs would have done if he were the TCU women's coach. A lot of women's scores are lopsided but this was ridiculous. I wonder how the Texas Southern coach and players feel about TCU now. Sportsmanship apparently is dead at TCU.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony4Life » Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:27 pm

I was unclear the first time around. The margin of victory was NOT impressive. But holding any team to 16 points is impressive. You guys are right - TCU's coach should have called off the dogs once the game was decided. I was simply commenting on the defense.

My thoughts on TCU in general mirror those you guys express. I just didn't phrase it too well the first time.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby FloridaMustang » Tue Dec 31, 2002 5:10 pm

There should be no "class" in sports. It's rough, it's tough, and no mercy should be shown. That's the way I view it. TCU decimated Texas Southern and I'd be proud if I were a TCU fan. I'm also a little disturbed by the fact that you guys are treating the situation differently because it was a women's basketball game. It's not like the TSU girls are gonna go and off themselves...chill. However, since I am a Mustang, I will go ahead and condemn TCU, simply for being TCU...the class-less bastards. Go Mustangs! Image

[This message has been edited by UNFMustang06 (edited 12-31-2002).]
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Return to Basketball