PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

?Lon Kruger? next coach?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

?Lon Kruger? next coach?

Postby tmustangp » Tue Dec 31, 2002 11:36 pm

i like dement a lot and i don't want him gone, atleast not yet... well just for grins and to put smu in the news for recruits...what if Long Kruger (hawks coach that was fired,ex tulsa and IL) were to come to smu? just for discussion
tmustangp
All-American

Re: ?Lon Kruger? next coach?

Postby DenPony » Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:25 pm

Please tell me why Lonnie Kruger would come to SMU. We have little to sell to a name coach. No fans(OK 2000),old facilities, mediocre conference, little money support for anything but football, no tradition and somewhat restricted recruiting. Sounds like the kind of job that ALL the big names would want to me.
DenPony

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Jan 02, 2003 7:01 pm

We've got a coach. And in spite of all those drawbacks mentioned above, he'll do just fine. I hope he stays as long as Doc Hayes. Recruiting is on the upswing, attendance is improving, our play is better and we have some pretty dang good assistant coaches, too. I like the attitude this year.
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DenPony » Thu Jan 02, 2003 7:20 pm

I have been a Dement supporter until this year. I'm really disappointed in the lack of basics this team exhibits. We play a 3 man game on offense with way too much dribbling and standing around. This isn't the way Dement coached his first years here. Defensively, we can't defend the 3 because we play back to protect our big men. Do these big men really need that kind of protection? I don't think so. This team has also shown a lack of desire at times ie no floor burns, poor defensive rebounding, lackadaisical turnovers etc.
That said, I want Dement to stay because I don't think we can get anyone better unless we take a big risk to hire an assistant at a successful upper middle level team or good small school coach like we did with Dement. Those type of risks have a way of blowing up in your face. Until someone can show me the proven candidate that we can actually get ( ie no more Lonnie K nonsense)AND show me that he is better than Dement (ie no more Fran F nonsense), I don't want a change. It isn't time now anyway and I wish people would stop talking about it because it does nothing but hurt morale and recruiting.
DenPony

Return to Basketball