PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Justin Isham

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Justin Isham

Postby Pony Up » Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:31 pm

Can't believe nobody's talked about Justin Isham yet. He was unbelievable. I've been in Dallas for a few days and caught last night's game - Isham was sensational. He shot pretty well, he's turned into a dynamite defender, his ball-handling is a lot better (I made it to Dallas for maybe 7 or 8 games last year) .... and that block. Oh my god, that block on Delzell's layup. How high was he? We all knew he was a big dunker, but that was ridiculous. And to do that in the clutch like that, and not get called for a foul. That looked like Grant Hill in his Duke days, the way he got up there.

Looks like he'll join Hopkins as a genuine star at SMU.
Proud to be a PonyFan
Pony Up
All-American

Re: Justin Isham

Postby PK » Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:43 pm

Yeah, Justin is really starting to assert himself. He shows a lot of enthusiasim and is starting to take his shots. Last year, and early this year, a lot of these guys were kind of tenative in taking their shots (like Castro on the three), but Justin has finally found the confidence to play hard and shoot. And then the BLOCK...the block was awesome to say the least.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:59 pm

I'm with you on Isham. In the 'San Diego Game' thread I said I thought Isham's energy was a key and that he is the glue of the team right now. As far back as preseason when it looked like Lowe and Miller were ahead of him for playing time, I thought Isham had to be the starter. The guy has all the tools: great leaper, good jump shot, long arms on defense and he plays with enthusiasm. All he needs is more confidence and that looks like its coming with experience.
Hoop Fan

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 03, 2003 9:40 pm

Isham seems to be a guy that is constantly improving his game. I thought Damon Hancock improved tremendously between his frosh and sophomore years, but then plateaued. Let's hope Justin keeps improving because if he does, he's going to be a force in the next couple of years.
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:14 am

any word on his injury from the La Tech game? Justin was establishing himself as a 3rd perimeter scorer for the Mustangs and we need him back in the lineup if we are going to compete this year.
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:35 pm

The DMN said they were doing X rays today and will determine the extent of the injury. This doesn't sound good at all - if it is minor, I would guess he'd be out 1-2 weeks, and major 3-6 weeks?
What a bad break for the Ponies. Kris Lowe has got to step up if he is out.
Pony_Fan

Postby Fresh » Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:31 pm

"Kris Lowe has got to step up if he is out." You're kidding, right?
Lowe has looked completely lost this year. The Rack is more likely to add a few points to his average, and some backup guard (Ryan Hopkins?) will get some more minutes.
Fresh
Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Jan 06, 2003 6:10 pm

Fresh - Yes, he does look lost but do you have another suggestion? The entire team looks lost - If Isham is injured he is the only replacement ....Miller, R. Hopkins, i don't think so...

[This message has been edited by Pony_Fan (edited 01-06-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Pony_Fan (edited 01-06-2003).]
Pony_Fan

Postby PX » Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:30 pm

No fracture in the X-rays. Initial prognosis is out 10 days. 2 weeks max. Could return by the Fresno State game.
PX
Varsity

Postby PK » Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:38 pm

All things considered, that's good news.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Vitale » Mon Jan 06, 2003 8:21 pm

That's great news - a whole lot better than it could have been.

In the meantime, give me a steady dose of Brian Miller and even Ryan Hopkins. I'm agreeing with "Fresh" on Lowe's performance this season.
Vitale
All-American

Postby Silk » Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:49 am

Morning News says the wrist is only sprained, and that I-man is questionable for this week's games. Thank goodness.
Silk
Varsity

Return to Basketball