PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Wac-ky WAC

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Wac-ky WAC

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jan 04, 2003 7:19 pm

Don't look now, but Boise State, a team generally regarded as one of the worst basketball programs in the WAC, beat Hawaii today and is now 2-0 in WAC play.

Boise was laughed at by many when they were invited to join the conference, but they clearly look like they are improving both their football and basketball programs and have proven to be an asset to the WAC.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Wac-ky WAC

Postby No Cal Pony » Sat Jan 04, 2003 9:19 pm

CP, I've noted this since day one. boise st. is serious. They've been working hard to gain attention and quality. They've gotten a bunch of key people from the Sacto area, so I've witnessed a lot first hand. Also, as I've said, this is a year when anyone can win the WAC. We have the talent. Keep up the drive and we'll be champs. Flake out, and we'll be chumps.

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Sat Jan 04, 2003 10:33 pm

I think the only team we will destroy is UTEP. Rice looks to be good as well as Nevada.
Pony_Fan

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jan 04, 2003 11:14 pm

I question whether we will "destroy" anyone on our schedule this year. I'll be thankful for any road win and UTEP, San Jose and until today I would have said Boise should provide our best opportunities. Unless we improve dramatically as the year goes on, we will do well to finish .500 in WAC play and I don't see any blowout wins on the schedule.
Charleston Pony

Postby The CPC » Sun Jan 05, 2003 3:38 pm

Alright sports faans, the first week of WAC play is now complete, and here are CPC's official conference rankings. The number after the teams name is their current WAC record. The number in parentheses is the teams current rating in the Sagarin rankings, based on all games against D1 teams.

1. Fresno State, 2-0, (64), Early home wins over Tulsa and Rice have put them in the drivers seat.
2. Tulsa, 1-1, (57) Probably still the best team in the league when completely healthy, but they have struggled with injuries to guards Dante Swanson and Antonio Reed.
3. Rice, 1-1, (71) Surprising Owls are on the rise. Their win over Colorado is probably the most impressive non-conference win the WAC had this year.
4. Hawaii, 1-1 (65) Still invincible on the Island, but Boise and San Diego State have exposed how vulnerable this team is when they travel. Their only road win is UTEP.
5. Boise State, 2-0, (185) Not likely to hold onto this spot for long, once they have to play some conference games on the road, but for now they've earned it.
6. Louisiana Tech, 1-0, (160) Questionable non-conference schedule, but they won their WAC opener.
7. SMU, 0-1, (161) Seriously struggling on the road.
8. Nevada, 0-2, (118) Two close games, but couldnt pull either one out. Not easy to start the WAC season with Rice and Tulsa.
9. San Jose State, 0-2, (306) Really, really pitiful. What else can you say after a team loses to UTEP? Freshman star Antonio Lawrence is the only bright spot. Sometimes all those JC transfers dont help much.
10. UTEP, 1-1, (313) How does one of the countries weakest teams get even worse? They lose their best player. Forward Roy Smallwood has torn his ACL, and is out for the year. The Miners wont win another game. Or, at least they shouldnt. There are some WAC teams that are so weak on the road this year that CPC doesnt want to make any rash predictions.

Five WAC teams remain undefeated at home, while 3 are winless on the road. Hawaii got their first road win this weak at UTEP.
Some will tell you that a glass is half empty, and others that the same glass is half full. But all CPC really wants to know is...... does the drink taste good?
The CPC
Junior Varsity

Return to Basketball