PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

ATTN: People who run band

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: ATTN: People who run band

Postby couch 'em » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:53 pm

Everyone is ragging on the band. If our band is equivalent to other top groups in song selection and sound quality as Diamond M suggests (and I generally agree) then it tells us that 1. There is a problem with bands everywhere or 2. There are issues other than song selection and sound quality.

I have always contended that to everyone who isn't an instrument playing musician sound quality means NOTHING. Energy, volume, familiarity. These things matter. Most pop stars, rock stars, and rappers are not good singers by musician standards but they are way more popular than the world's best opera singer. And their concerts look a lot more like an excited bball crowd. Last game I though the band sounded really good but man even I got sick of hearing them play.

I think the music complaints are directly related to the complaints about the band when it isn't playing. Question is - what is the common cause?
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby photopony » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:59 am

I am a band alum. The problem that always exists on this board is people get way too defensive against criticism, especially coming from the band supporters. I sat through all those miserable Doh years being one of 100 people at games. Yes the band is unwavering in their support, blah blah, etc. I don't think past performance and dedication gives an organization a free pass to not change when needed.

I think very few people will disagree that the band is lacking or worse off than other school's band programs. The only problem I see this year is the energy drain that happens in Moody when the band starts playing. I don't think that is necessarily the fault of the band, it can be pushed to the crowd atmosphere as well. But at the end of the day, the best solution is going to be for athletics to get the whole game presentation production together and for the band to play a few more songs that pump up the crowd when needed. And also get the members to get rowdy. They should be an extension of the student section's enthusiasm.

Classic rock songs and jazz arrangements can work, but maybe there needs to be some planning to keep the Moody atmosphere high.
photopony
Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:53 am

OK, so they played 7NA at a very appropriate time last night and there was virtually no reaction from the students.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby smusportspage » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:44 am

I thought the Alumni Band was great last night. Good song selections.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby ObeyMyDog » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:25 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:OK, so they played 7NA at a very appropriate time last night and there was virtually no reaction from the students.

Yes, gloss over the fact that they are on winter break and half of the students down there were chicks also. Phantom of the opera guy made a comeback last night as well, so you know you've got MOB issues.

Students weren't there, drawing a conclusion is dumb. I was actually laughing... the first moment they time a 7NA thing properly all season, it is literally the worst game to date they could have done it with all the kids being gone.
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby GiddyUp » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:32 am

I guess they think its all fine and dandy as they claim its the same crew as last yr. prob wont change.

i see a Mob with no soul and a band with no guts..
GiddyUp

Postby JasonB » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:36 am

It looked like they gave a lot of the student tickets to faculty.
JasonB

Postby EastStang » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:47 am

JasonB wrote:It looked like they gave a lot of the student tickets to faculty.

That explains the lack of noise from that section. Timeouts are when the band should be playing. During play, not so much. Play Peruna, PBC, and when we win, Little Grass Shack.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby 78pony » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:16 pm

Alumni band I thought was quite good considering their number.

Hey, how about the player intro. Nobody around me did a thing other than stare at the scoreboard and yawn!
78pony
Heisman

Postby Pony147 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:20 pm

smusportspage wrote:I thought the Alumni Band was great last night. Good song selections.

FWIW, that was the same director. But yes, I agree the song selection was better.
"[College] referees couldn't manage a White Castle." -Mark Cuban
Pony147
Heisman

Postby Pony147 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:22 pm

FWIW clarification #2, the "alumni band" last night was about half alumni and half current students
"[College] referees couldn't manage a White Castle." -Mark Cuban
Pony147
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:25 pm

Plus, when you only have 18 and 3 are freaking piccolos you are up against it from the start!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby skyscraper » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:31 pm

I actually thought the music balance, selection was the best all season. Just no students were there to feed off of it because it's holiday break.
If they do that presentation-wise for a big game I think we'd all be happy.
Alumni band sounded nice, too.
skyscraper

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:59 pm

smusportspage wrote:I thought the Alumni Band was great last night. Good song selections.

I agree. Always good to get the alumni band involved.
Bergermeister

Postby malonish » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:39 pm

EastStang wrote:
JasonB wrote:It looked like they gave a lot of the student tickets to faculty.

That explains the lack of noise from that section. Timeouts are when the band should be playing. During play, not so much. Play Peruna, PBC, and when we win, Little Grass Shack.

That's probably Shanty Town you are referencing and it's played at the end of every game.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball