PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Kennedy eligible for UIC game, per Daily Campus

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Kennedy eligible for UIC game, per Daily Campus

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:23 pm

Thank god-a grown up.
I agree with every point
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:26 pm

Very true. For all of the SMU bashing and conspiracy theories you have to give credit to MK for working hard to do what he needed to do.

Hopefully, he plays tomorrow, has a great game, and we go on to have a great American season and forget about all of this BS.

Go Ponies!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:55 pm

b_caesar wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:Lots of blame to go around here if MK is ineligible.

Blame markus for completely blowing off his classes and assignments in the spring

Blame the academic advisors for letting him major in history

Blame some [deleted] professor for failing him

I'd say blame is pretty straightforward...

Yes, blame MK if he blew off his assignments and attending classes. He earned those grades, however poor they may have been.

No, can't blame the advisors - it's the student who decides what he's interested in and wants to study. The advisors are there to help students navigate and choose the right classes for attaining a degree in that particular discipline in which they're interested. They shouldn't be there to steer any student towards the "easy" classes or get some sort of "easier" degree.

And sorry, no, can't blame the profs, either - they don't fail students - it's the student who ultimately earns every grade in every class.

If MK is declared eligible for the Spring, (and he perhaps gets to play in the Michigan game) it's because HE put in the necessary work to earn the grades in his Fall classes - it was not something that was given to him - he did it. And he should be proud that he was able to overcome the problems he created for himself by not applying himself as much to his coursework as he did to playing with the team that caused him to be ineligible. And I'll be eager to see him play and contribute mightily to the team and look forward to him eventually finishing the degree he wanted to get. And I'm pretty sure this is how LB would want it.

It's easy to act all high and mighty once the dust settles.

Yes, I think academic advisers should have steered him away from a history major and towards the sport management major. History classes require lots of writing; and Markus was not prepared for an academic environment as rigorous as SMU's because of his background-- and that's not his fault at all.

If Markus was blowing off classes and assignments then I don't have a problem with professors failing him. He (and all other athletes) should be required to put forth an effort. But many of these guys have had very little to prepare them for college academics and judging their tests and papers on the same scale as some rich kid who went to ESD or St. Mark's and has had everything given to them, and denying them the opportunity to play basketball based on that standard isn't fair in my opinion. If athletes make the effort to show up to class and turn in all required assignments then they should receive no less than a C in any class.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Comet » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:26 pm

I just want to say thank you to MK for working his [deleted] off. Take nothing for granted homeboy!
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby photopony » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:38 pm

Just got an alert from ESPN, he's eligible.
photopony
Varsity

Previous

Return to Basketball