PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Isham's Playing Time

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Isham's Playing Time

Postby Red Horse » Thu Jan 09, 2003 3:35 pm

I have been a long time fan of Brian Miller
back to when he was draining 3 pt shots for
Lewisville HS and when he was the go-to guy
in the Texas HS All-star basketball game.

I posted often on the other board that we would be in good 3pt shape when he recovered from his back problems. I must admit that
I have been disappointed in his shot selections, his make percentage, and his minutes of playing time. I know he must be frustrated.

The point of my message is that I still believe he can be the best 3 pt shooters on this team. I believe it is a psychological thing. If he could get more playing time and get into the flow of the game more fully, I believe he would make more shots. Once he makes a few 3's I think his confidence will return.

I hope that Dement will give him a large chunk of Isham's playing time until the I-Man is back. This would be an attempt to add one more weapon to our game - we obviously need shooting and I am sticking with my original evaluation of Miller - I
believe he can be a weapon.

Any of you who watch practices - Is he shooting the ball well in practice?

What are some other opinions of his potential?
Red Horse
Recruit

Re: Isham's Playing Time

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Jan 09, 2003 3:47 pm

I can't say I ever watched him in HS. I am sure he was accurate but since he has been at SMU he hasn't hit many 3's at all. It seems like he comes off screens on occasion but just doesn't nail it.... That is the problem w/ Dement is he subs so much most players can't get a rythym of the game. You miss, you're out usually. I am sure you are right that it is a confidence thing. We really need a solid 3 pt shooter. Every team we face has someone who can stroke the 3 at will....and the fact that we give them wide open looks - Ross seems to be off on his 3 shot these days.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby OldPony » Thu Jan 09, 2003 4:46 pm

Miller is too slow to create his own 3 point shot. He has to be screened for and then is slow to pull the trigger. I think the speed of the collge game caught up with him. Dement runs his subs much like most coaches and is trying to use them to keep his first group rested. This team doesn't screen or play a team game so I think Miller is unlikely to add much especially since he is a liability on defense..
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Jan 09, 2003 5:00 pm

He is a tad slow and you may be right that the college game might have caught up to him. But, he should be putting down a few tre's now and again.I do miss the team concept/game...OP, you may be right about his defense.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ClassOf81 » Thu Jan 09, 2003 8:59 pm

Miller might be slow, but he's faster than Voc Atkins and Kris Lowe. And a better shooter than either. (Of course, that's my opinion....)

[This message has been edited by ClassOf81 (edited 01-09-2003).]
ClassOf81
Heisman

Return to Basketball