PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Even more attendance issues

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Even more attendance issues

Postby Jonas Seuraut » Fri Jan 10, 2003 1:24 pm

What makes me very irate is the fact that NO ONE ever friggin shows up to the women's basketball games. You kids always talk about men's bball when our women's team is providing more hope than the men's are at the moment. Last night, attendance ranged around 100 people, MAYBE.

Scenario:
I was walking to Moody and passed by two guys; they asked about who was playing tonight (they figured I would know since I was wearing a band shirt) and I said it was women's versus so and so. One guy proceeded to ramble about, "Oh, they're a bunch of ****s." I was appalled. This was a MAN (cerca 25 or 30), not some dumb college kid. I argued with the guy for a minute, and then decided to drop it because he was SO ignorant. But if THIS is the type of fan support we have out there, then I quit.

I just can't believe some people.
And I wonder if that guy is on this board...

I know that is not the complete, resounding idea of everyone against women's basketball; I just wish more people would show up. It's more fun. Imagine going to a men's game where there are 100 people and you have the excitement level of women's games.

------------------
The Diamond M.
The Diamond M.
Jonas Seuraut

Re: Even more attendance issues

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:30 pm

Agreed...I'm ashamed of the fan support. The women's team is possibly good enough to be ranked if they keep winning big games. Rhonda Rompola is one damn good coach and she's doing more for women's basketball and SMU Athletics than Dement will ever do. Unfortunately SMU students are as apathetic to sports as any group I've ever seen. If we can't even get attendance up for football, do you think anyone on this campus is going to waste time on women's basketball when a frat party or intramural frat game is going on.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Corso » Fri Jan 10, 2003 3:00 pm

What would the men's team's record be if Rompola was coach?
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 10, 2003 8:44 pm

no question our women's bball team deserves more support, as do all our teams. Let's not even get started about the lack of support for our nationally ranked soccer teams.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Jan 10, 2003 9:03 pm

Corso, would you mind clarifying your last post?
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Return to Basketball