PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Changes to reseat plan

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Changes to reseat plan

Postby Crong » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:28 pm

CalallenStang wrote:They (the AD, Mustang Club, or 2ndandlong) will never admit to this if true, but part of me wonders if the athletic department planned this all along. Float something to make people really mad then give "concessions" by changing the plan...making people happy that they got the concessions and therefore more likely to re-up at higher prices

Funny you make this comment. I said the same thing to my wife. She didn't think they are that sophisticated. I'd like to know, too.
Crong
Varsity

Postby NY Pony » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:33 pm

Crong wrote:
CalallenStang wrote:They (the AD, Mustang Club, or 2ndandlong) will never admit to this if true, but part of me wonders if the athletic department planned this all along. Float something to make people really mad then give "concessions" by changing the plan...making people happy that they got the concessions and therefore more likely to re-up at higher prices

Funny you make this comment. I said the same thing to my wife. She didn't think they are that sophisticated. I'd like to know, too.

I don't thinks that is really that sophisticated. It's setting expectations low and exceeding them. It's how I get by...
NY Pony
All-American

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:34 pm

The email with the link for the "official" new information just went out.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby 2ndandlong » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:46 pm

There is no conspiracy, so I have nothing that I could admit. These are people working hard to get it right. I don't think there's really anything more to it than that.

There are a lot of great people in our athletic department. They have spent a tremendous amount of time working on this. I think they've shown a huge amount of care for our fans to hear what people respectfully communicated, take that into consideration, and implement it accordingly.
"This is . . . dedication to distraction by fans. Is that what I'm going to go with Jay?"
"That poor kid has to be wondering what is dad doing."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XknLDwj0dSo
2ndandlong
Hall of Famer

Postby GiddyUp » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:04 pm

Moodyseating.com
GiddyUp

Postby texasmustang10 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:54 am

Complete f-----g bulls---. SMU now requiring a mustang club donation per seat and pricing out the young alums (who could previously afford to buy tickets together in a block, with only 1 donation) who have been season ticket holders for 3+ years, in favor of deep-pocketed fairweather fans (likely the same ones who poured out of the stadium between regulation and OT in the UCSB game). My ticket was $90 last year, $250 this year, and going to be $500 next year, and we haven't even made the tournament yet.
texasmustang10
Junior Varsity

Postby freqz » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:07 pm

texasmustang10 wrote:Complete f-----g bulls---. SMU now requiring a mustang club donation per seat and pricing out the young alums (who could previously afford to buy tickets together in a block, with only 1 donation) who have been season ticket holders for 3+ years, in favor of deep-pocketed fairweather fans (likely the same ones who poured out of the stadium between regulation and OT in the UCSB game). My ticket was $90 last year, $250 this year, and going to be $500 next year, and we haven't even made the tournament yet.

You can move to season tickets at $180 a seat.
Texas bites. Baylor sucks. As it was in the beginning, is now, and evermore shall be. Amen.
freqz
Junior Varsity

Postby texasmustang10 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:16 pm

freqz wrote:
texasmustang10 wrote:Complete f-----g bulls---. SMU now requiring a mustang club donation per seat and pricing out the young alums (who could previously afford to buy tickets together in a block, with only 1 donation) who have been season ticket holders for 3+ years, in favor of deep-pocketed fairweather fans (likely the same ones who poured out of the stadium between regulation and OT in the UCSB game). My ticket was $90 last year, $250 this year, and going to be $500 next year, and we haven't even made the tournament yet.

yes, lets move the loud fans further away from the court...
texasmustang10
Junior Varsity

Postby texasmustang10 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:17 pm

texasmustang10 wrote:
freqz wrote:

yes, lets move the loud fans further away from the court...

and move the students up there too, while we're at it!
texasmustang10
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUstangs22 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:19 pm

So prices will increase next year as well?
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:20 pm

Its not going to be cheap for a private school like SMU to attempt to be a P5 school. Everybody seemed to be on board with hiring an expensive football coach, an expensive basketball coach, on extending benefits to student/athletes, and keeping up with TCU. Where do you think that money is going to come from. Santa Claus. Get used to it.

As I've been saying for a few years-we're going to find out just how much SMU fans want to compete at the highest level-SMU athletics will be just as good as the level SMU fans are willing to fund it.
Last edited by Stallion on Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby ponyboy » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:22 pm

The athletic administration can set whatever prices they please, but I am disappointed. I just don't know that enough people are going to lay down $1000 for two seats at nosebleed level in the corner, which is what my price to play now is. I really believe they've overplayed their hand on this one. I don't expect next year to be near a sellout season. May have overestimated demand.
ponyboy

Postby smusportspage » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:23 pm

Yep.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby PonySnob » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:29 pm

ponyboy wrote:The athletic administration can set whatever prices they please, but I am disappointed. I just don't know that enough people are going to lay down $1000 for two seats at nosebleed level in the corner, which is what my price to play now is. I really believe they've overplayed their hand on this one. I don't expect next year to be near a sellout season. May have overestimated demand.

So how do you recommend the athletic department pay its expenses?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Changes to reseat plan

Postby Grant Carter » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:32 pm

smusic 00 wrote:Plus, the Mustang Club's (and its board) sole purpose is to raise money for SMU athletics. It is not an advisory panel to the AD. They are separate entities.

It is funny though, the email I received about the changes came from... The Mustang Club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball