PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Changes to reseat plan

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Changes to reseat plan

Postby mrydel » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:43 pm

You are wrong but nice try. An outline is not an announced plan. And the email was only to the group that was invited to the session to discuss the proposed plan. Actually the final plan still has not been announced. Hopefully it will be as the proposal given to the session attendees was laid out.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Changes to reseat plan

Postby Clown College » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:59 pm

No, I'm not. But you win. I don't play semantic games. Call it whatever makes you happy. Outline? Nice.
I just don't appreciate you trying to soft peddle this into the benevolent athletic department listening to the fans before forming their "Plan" after a meeting. That's complete nonsense and the letter states unequivocally that they changed their plan in response to justified concerns of their shareholders. It's a very smart move and I'm extremely happy about it.

You can argue with me or you can re-read the letter.
Clown College
Scout Team

Postby mrydel » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:03 pm

No argument. Just realize the "letter" is an email to a select few who were brought in to discuss ideas for the plan. The email was "leaked" by Ponysnob. The plan will soon be announced.

I was not happy with the original outline personally because it would have priced me out since I can very rarely attend games. I am very pleased with the new proposed plan and hope it is finalized as stated in the email.
mrydel

Postby Clown College » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:19 pm

No argument here as well. I have a deep respect for your dedication to SMU. I just feel this latest move before the backlash was very ham-handed. What's shocking is that SMU responded in a very responsible manner. I'm more excited about that than the actual shift in policy.

I carried the Mustang Clubs water for many years so I get a little testy at times with their silly decisions. I apologize for being snippy in my comments.
Clown College
Scout Team

Postby mrydel » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:49 am

No problem I am not a lackey for the athletic department. I have never met any of the current group. I just thought the hysteria without actually knowing the final deal was getting a little out of hand. I am very glad that people spoke up and more glad that the revisions to the original ideas were made.
mrydel

Postby 2ndandlong » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:58 am

I am a lackey for the athletic department. mrydel lays it out pretty accurately. That's why I openly begged for people's patience on here.

but my favorite post in this thread is that rancor on ponyfans got their attention. absolutely too funny. I am going to laugh at that all day. Thanks.
"This is . . . dedication to distraction by fans. Is that what I'm going to go with Jay?"
"That poor kid has to be wondering what is dad doing."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XknLDwj0dSo
2ndandlong
Hall of Famer

Postby Treadway21 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:07 am

2ndandlong wrote:I am a lackey for the athletic department. mrydel lays it out pretty accurately. That's why I openly begged for people's patience on here.

but my favorite post in this thread is that rancor on ponyfans got their attention. absolutely too funny. I am going to laugh at that all day. Thanks.

Well, from what i read, the guys here were saying was the same thing that was said in the meeting, and if I were you I wouldn't disparage input from any source. SMU would do well to pay attention what goes on here, because these people care about SMU athletics and if you lose ponyfans, you have lost whats left of our fan support.

I hope you are not representative of the administration's thinking, cause if that is the opinion from the inside, it will eventually seep out and SMU will lose out. The SMU fan has been abused by SMU for 30 years and you would think they would want to make it as easy as possible to bring the fans we lost back without beating up the ones who put up with the BS and lack of "Commitment" from the athletic department while the revenue sports were going down the tubes.

Comments like this and ill conceived roll outs of price increases will undo a lot of good Rick Hart has done both in communications with the fans and other improvements. After all we are still customers and we can always take our money to other activities.

I would hate to have to choose to not support the SMU athletes because the Athletic Department does not take it's responsibility to the fan seriously.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:31 am

Well said, Treadway!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby 2ndandlong » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:25 am

Treadway21 wrote:
2ndandlong wrote:I am a lackey for the athletic department. mrydel lays it out pretty accurately. That's why I openly begged for people's patience on here.

Well, from what i read, the guys here were saying was the same thing that was said in the meeting, and if I were you I wouldn't disparage input from any source. SMU would do well to pay attention what goes on here, because these people care about SMU athletics and if you lose ponyfans, you have lost whats left of our fan support.

I hope you are not representative of the administration's thinking, cause if that is the opinion from the inside, it will eventually seep out and SMU will lose out. The SMU fan has been abused by SMU for 30 years and you would think they would want to make it as easy as possible to bring the fans we lost back without beating up the ones who put up with the BS and lack of "Commitment" from the athletic department while the revenue sports were going down the tubes.

Comments like this and ill conceived roll outs of price increases will undo a lot of good Rick Hart has done both in communications with the fans and other improvements. After all we are still customers and we can always take our money to other activities.

I would hate to have to choose to not support the SMU athletes because the Athletic Department does not take it's responsibility to the fan seriously.

I don't think I follow exactly what you're saying but my point is this:

SMU very respectfully held several sessions with various alumni including one that was sent to season ticket holders. SMU carefully considered all of the input from these various sessions with the Mustang Club Board, Trustees, Lettermen's Association, Ticketholders, and others. In response to input provided in each of these sessions, the school continued to amend their thought process and have communicated to those individuals that participated in those meetings that they so appreciated their input that they have refined their thought process in development of a formal plan.

I say all of that to distinguish that they are not spending time trolling on ponyfans for ideas on how to run their organization nor should they. This and other boards are comprised of loyal fans that care about the organization and donate their time and money to its success. It's also comprised of dimwitted trolls that spout utter, factless nonsense. This raises the 80/20. I like to think that 80% of posters are the former, but the latter seem to make 80% of the posts.

I am a big fan of some of SMU's message boards. I really like the content provided by the guys that run this board. I like bs'ing with my friends. But there is a massive quantity of bad ideas, misleading information, and outright stupidity that comes from people on all message boards, not just SMU's. Puds that sit behind a keyboard and lob grenades with no accountability hurt content everywhere. No university should spend time filtering through this, but I applaud Brad and the others that occasionally peruse this site.
"This is . . . dedication to distraction by fans. Is that what I'm going to go with Jay?"
2ndandlong
Hall of Famer

Postby Clown College » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:53 pm

Incredibly poor form for the Mustang Club President-Elect to make this statement.
Clown College
Scout Team

Postby CoxMustangFan » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:20 pm

Honestly, this whole thread should get deleted. It should be locked at the very least.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:22 pm

CoxMustangFan wrote:Honestly, this whole thread should get deleted. It should be locked at the very least.

There is a lot of good history here and photos of the pricing from the original plan so no!

Plus I don't want to lose my post count.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby 2ndandlong » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:13 pm

Clown College wrote:

Incredibly poor form for the Mustang Club President-Elect to make this statement.

How is this incredibly poor form? I state my impartial nature up front. I don't try to hide behind my avatar and never have. My name is Allen Shank. I then confirm that someone, mrydel, states the process accurately.

I then point out the folly to think that SMU or any university makes decisions based on angry fans ranting on a message board. There are appropriate channels to communicate with SMU or any other university. To think that the university has the resources to spend their time reading ponyfans for ideas is wild to me. I am pretty certain if we started a thread on what the university or athletics should do with an extra $30,000 lying around, you would have dozens of ideas and none would include someone spending all of their time reading the personal attacks, whining and gloating on ponyfans, c o u n t I n g posts, scout or any of the other venues where people discuss SMU athletics. (I am sure that person would find the threads of redheads, half naked women, and bad jokes on one of the aforementioned sites and never return to the other boards.)

If anyone has a respectful idea or message that they would like me to take to the board or athletic department, I would openly welcome such discussion. You can always PM me here. I check this site semi-regularly. I have brought up thoughtful concepts to members in the athletic department before and would gladly do it again.
2ndandlong
Hall of Famer

Postby smusic 00 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:26 pm

Plus, the Mustang Club's (and its board) sole purpose is to raise money for SMU athletics. It is not an advisory panel to the AD. They are separate entities.
smusic 00

Postby CalallenStang » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:21 pm

They (the AD, Mustang Club, or 2ndandlong) will never admit to this if true, but part of me wonders if the athletic department planned this all along. Float something to make people really mad then give "concessions" by changing the plan...making people happy that they got the concessions and therefore more likely to re-up at higher prices
CalallenStang

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball