PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Names of Dement's Replacement

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Names of Dement's Replacement

Postby VarsityShop » Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:30 pm

Has anyone heard any names mentioned as to who will be replacing Dement?

Can SMU make a "bold" move and get someone that can create excitement for our program?

It seems Texas Tech was able to do this.

=(Varsity Shop)=

[This message has been edited by VarsityShop (edited 01-12-2003).]
VarsityShop
Varsity

Re: Names of Dement's Replacement

Postby Brasco » Sun Jan 12, 2003 2:14 pm

How about Johnny Dawkins. A former All-American, and current Assistant Coach at Duke. He is a great recruiter and coach.

Look at other coaches who have been recent assitant coaches at Duke. Quinn Snider Head Coach at Missouri, he's not bad! He has made Missouri into a National Power again! Mike Brey who is the current Head Coach at Notre Dame also was an assistant coach to Coach K at Duke. Look what he has done with the Notre Dame Basketball Program in the past few years.
Brasco
Recruit

Postby Corso » Sun Jan 12, 2003 6:33 pm

Not so fast, my friends!

I'm more worried about how we win Thursday's game against Fresno than I am about the next basketball coach.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Jan 12, 2003 7:45 pm

In case you didnt know, Dement was a Coach K understudy in '82-83...not sure what he learned there Image
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Brasco » Sun Jan 12, 2003 11:26 pm

I am with you PonyFan, I am not sure what Dement learned under Coach K, but two things are for certain, Quinn Snider and Mike Brey learned how to run a Nationally successful Basketball Program.
Brasco
Recruit

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:55 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brasco:
<B>I am with you PonyFan, I am not sure what Dement learned under Coach K, but two things are for certain, Quinn Snider and Mike Brey learned how to run a Nationally successful Basketball Program.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Snider and Brey both inherited programs that had been very successful in the past and were not too shabby at the time they were hired. Let's not forget that Dement has turned the program around for the best. SMU was a terrible job to take and now I think a lot of coaches would be interested in it. You can thank Dement for that. I mean there's probably only two basketball programs in Texas that are better now...Texas and Texas Tech. He's done a good job. Let's not forget that.

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Jan 13, 2003 4:05 am

Dement was a volunteer assistant under Coach K...nuff said.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby OldPony » Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:22 pm

Before you get too high on Quin, consider that the court he plays on is named for his predecessor. Matt D from UNC had a pretty good year with ND also before leaving gor UNC. Another assisatant isn't the answer. Besides if the assistants in the high profile programs are highly thought of, they will have better alternatives than SMU. How do you think they got the Missou and ND jobs. The worst jobs these guys go for are ones like Tulsa. We are not close at this time to Tulsa except geographically.
OldPony
Heisman

Return to Basketball