PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Moody Atmosphere > Criesler Centrr

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Moody Atmosphere > Criesler Centrr

Postby OhioBrownFan » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:06 pm

Mustangs35SMU wrote:I won't lie that I was thinking in the first couple of minutes that I expected the atmosphere to be better.

The reasons for it being bleh are obvious, but still expected better just because it's Michigan etc.

Oh well. Winner winner!

Yeah you would think...I mean, this is the 2nd best home OOC game they had and you'd just expect it to be better. I was at the Breslin when they played Texas a few years back when Texas was top 10 and MSU was also top 10, atmosphere was awful. Hell, MSU vs Penn State is louder on a Tuesday. Louisville is also like that and Kentucky. The only OOC games that really feel like top shelf college bball games in the Midwest are when it's a special program they're playing. When Duke came to OSU, the place was nuts and you couldn't get a ticket in the rafters under $200. When Kentucky went to Indiana or UK visits Louisville, those games are out of control expensive and the crowds are as loud as I've ever heard. College basketball is just weird like that for whatever reason up this way. I don't have enough experience with southern teams like Florida to say it happens everywhere but it does seem like most places including the PAC12.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby CalallenStang » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:20 pm

Assembly Hall was also quieter than Moody. I put it up to the fact that Assembly Hall has an exceptionally high roof
CalallenStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby gostangs » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:50 pm

Midwest hasn't come to grips with fact the south and west have better athletes in everything. It will settle in eventually.
gostangs

Postby D » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:00 pm

It was pretty quiet in there today - even the students weren't that into it. Sadly, it was loudest when the kid hit the half court shot for 10k and they booed them for saying it was after the buzzer.
D
Varsity

Postby Terry Webster » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:14 pm

It got pretty loud when they hit the three to take the lead, but got really quiet pretty quickly after that.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:18 pm

D wrote:It was pretty quiet in there today - even the students weren't that into it. Sadly, it was loudest when the kid hit the half court shot for 10k and they booed them for saying it was after the buzzer.

In case you did not hear, they ended up giving him $1,000 as a consolation.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby GiddyUp » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:18 pm

Moody is 7k, not much comparable
GiddyUp

Postby PonySnob » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:38 pm

mrydel wrote:
D wrote:It was pretty quiet in there today - even the students weren't that into it. Sadly, it was loudest when the kid hit the half court shot for 10k and they booed them for saying it was after the buzzer.

In case you did not hear, they ended up giving him $1,000 as a consolation.

The announcers thought the Michigan coach should give him the $10K
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby mrydel » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:37 am

Yeah. Always easy to spend other people's money.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby SC Pony » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:00 pm

One of my few, complaints, if only complaint, with Larry Brown is that he seems to sometimes have unrealistic expectations of home fan support.

We should recognize that with the circumstances and being in holiday season, the crowds at UCSB and UIC were relatively large and were loud at times. Michigan has a few more alums than SMU.
SC Pony
Varsity

Postby Duke Blue Blood » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:12 pm

SC Pony wrote:One of my few, complaints, if only complaint, with Larry Brown is that he seems to sometimes have unrealistic expectations of home fan support.

We should recognize that with the circumstances and being in holiday season, the crowds at UCSB and UIC were relatively large and were loud at times. Michigan has a few more alums than SMU.

Larry is just trying to set high expectations. The truly elite programs (top 4-5) Duke, Kansas, UK which we are "trying" to becomes are always sold out AND are full.

I applaud his efforts and appreciate the face that he is rarely satisfied. What else would folks do on this board without it?

DBB
Duke Blue Blood
Heisman

Postby smupony94 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:28 pm

No way, DBB changed his avatar
smupony94

Postby Zman89 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:59 am

gostangs wrote:Midwest hasn't come to grips with fact the south and west have better athletes in everything. It will settle in eventually.

This might get me in trouble. I am an Ambassador for the South even though I live in Indiana. Midwest bball players on average are better than bball players in the south. By the same token Midwest fball players usually can't hold a candle to Southern players.
Zman89
Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:30 am

Zman,
Great game Saturday. I'm sure that was cool seeing the game in person at the Crisler Center. The team played very well towards the end and showed a lot of character, Nic in particular.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Zman89 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:45 am

LA_Mustang wrote:Zman,
Great game Saturday. I'm sure that was cool seeing the game in person at the Crisler Center. The team played very well towards the end and showed a lot of character, Nic in particular.

Yes it was. We had fun with the students in our section. It's a very nice arena except they don't SELL BEER I told em the profits would sky rocket.
Zman89
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball