PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

What happens if the season turns around?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

What happens if the season turns around?

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 13, 2003 3:01 am

What happens if we go on a mad rush and do something crazy like win a WAC title. Are you people gonna get off of Dement??? I mean he's never coached a losing season at SMU. I love you guys but I'm growing tired of your hatred for Mike. He's done a great job to turn the program around for the better. Maybe it is time to make another coaching change but give the man credit where credit is due. I hope we end up having a great season but I don't want anybody that badmouthed Dement to start talking about what a great job he's done if we do. By the way this message is not for everyone. It is only for those that say Mike Dement has not done a good job at all with our basketball program. Anyone that says that needs to look at our team right before he became coach and then look at what he's done in his time as coach.

Re: What happens if the season turns around?

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Jan 13, 2003 4:07 am

I say we still fire him. It would be the perfect time to hire a new coach..especially with a WAC title under our belts. Dement has turned around the program, but he just doesn't have what it takes to take this program to the NEXT level of competition. Period.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby The CPC » Mon Jan 13, 2003 5:14 am

What happens if we get into the NCAA tournament and make a madrush to the Final Four?
What happens if CPC gets bitten by a radioactive spider and develops amazing super powers? Should he make himself a costume and mask and dedicate his life to fighting crime? CPC is just asking because that scenario is about as likely a WAC title for the mens team this year. I dont know if you saw or listened to the game, but if San Jose had made their free throws last night we'd be in the WAC cellar, dead last, right now. How exactly are we going to make this amazing turnaround, are lightning bolts going to hit the Tulsa team bus? Fresno going to come down with the flu? All of them?

Of course people would get off Dements back if he somehow won the conference this year. But how likely do you actually think that is? To tell the truth, we wouldnt even be having this conversation if the team had won a title any time under Dement. But they didnt, not even close, not even the year they were favored to win it. I think their best finish was 4th or 5th. Thats why people are frustrated.

CPC has never advocated firing anybody, and frankly he doesnt think Dements job is really in that much jeopardy, because none of the people calling for his firing actually have any say in the matter. Only Jim Copeland makes that decision, and Copeland hasnt shown any indication that he's unhappy with Dement.

For me, CPC doesnt need to see any magical titles. Just seeing the team make progress will suit him fine. Lets just stick to goals we can actually achieve, and let the WAC titles take care of themselves down the road.

Lastly, CPC should point out that SMU was 8-20 in Dements first season, you cant say that he's never had a losing season here.
Some will tell you that a glass is half empty, and others that the same glass is half full. But all CPC really wants to know is...... does the drink taste good?
The CPC
Junior Varsity

Postby OldPony » Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:15 pm

CPC is the Chicken!!!He knows from what he spaeaks. OldPony just needs an articulate chicken to express his opinions. If Dement showed any signs of getting this team over the hump, all but a couple of posters here would be satisfied. So far though, NOTHING and a road win over SJSU isn't going to change anything.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Fingers » Mon Jan 13, 2003 4:35 pm

CPC, if you do get bitten by a radioactive spider or anything else, go ahead and make yourself a costume and fight crime - and you can start by taking on that other costumed nefarious no-gooder, Mustang Maniac!
Fingers

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Jan 13, 2003 5:49 pm

Granted, he has done a better job than Shumate - BIG DEAL...we had a few chances to do great things w/ teams and choked down the road in the 2nd half of the season - BIG TIME...that is coaching my friend.
15+ wins in the WAC and the patsy non-conference schedule is great and all but we haven't even been close to winning the WAC or even showing up at the WAC tourneys the last 5 years. He is a stepping stone towards being good...I just think his time has come, that is all but it's a catch-22 situation b/c of attendance problems and the WAC.

H&Y - Bottom line - we are not a good team at this point this year in my eyes and I was hoping for something better and I am frustrated like most of you. I hope for things to turn around...but like CPC, I just don't see much changing with this team. I don't know if you watched the games the last couple of years but I dont see many changes at all in offense production or anything different. I would love to be more positive but he just hasnt shown me he can get it done and get us to the next level, granted recruiting restrictions play a big part as well.

[This message has been edited by Pony_Fan (edited 01-13-2003).]
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:58 pm

I agree with you. I'm not saying it isn't getting close to time for a new coach. I'm only pointing out that there should be no hatred for Mike Dement. He has done what he could to make SMU's basketball team a winning one. That's all. I think we should all thank him and give him his farewell as at least a good stepping stone if that's what we're going to call him.

Return to Basketball