PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Michigan State Fans

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Michigan State Fans

Postby SC Pony » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:22 pm

On the Detroit Free Press website, Spartan fans are giving Michigan fans a hard time about losing to the SMU "Wranglers". Maybe these geniuses should check to see if the 'Wranglers" by chance beat Texas Southern. Ha!
SC Pony
Varsity

Re: Michigan State Fans

Postby D » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:13 pm

Walking out of the stadium, after the TSU upset last night, I was surprised that there were still State fans that said at least we haven't been upset by 3 teams like Michigan and it was no big deal because Izzo will have them ready for the tournament.
D
Varsity

Postby GiddyUp » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:31 am

D wrote:Walking out of the stadium, after the TSU upset last night, I was surprised that there were still State fans that said at least we haven't been upset by 3 teams like Michigan and it was no big deal because Izzo will have them ready for the tournament.
well this is all true
GiddyUp
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU1523 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:34 am

I don't get it. Are they saying we all wear Wranglers down here in Texas?
SMU1523
Heisman

Postby Harry0569 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:57 am

Not having Brandon Dawson, their best player, hurt them tremendously.
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby Terry Webster » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:41 am

When I was walking around Chrisler arena, several folks asked me what the M stood for in SMU? Missouri? Mississippi?
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU1523 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:21 pm

Terry Webster wrote:When I was walking around Chrisler arena, several folks asked me what the M stood for in SMU? Missouri? Mississippi?

When people ask me this I just say Southern Muslim University. Dumb questions deserve dumb responses.
SMU1523
Heisman

Postby OhioBrownFan » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:36 pm

SMU1523 wrote:
Terry Webster wrote:When I was walking around Chrisler arena, several folks asked me what the M stood for in SMU? Missouri? Mississippi?

When people ask me this I just say Southern Muslim University. Dumb questions deserve dumb responses.

I don't think its dumb, I think just very few people outside of the Southwest have been exposed to SMU. It's going to take a little time for people to realize that LB is here and that the team really is good. People didn't follow their NIT run last year and as I said in another thread, a lot of the young generation has no clue what SMU football once was. Just going to take time, I think you're better served giving them some background. Just my two cents. If they're being offensive about it, that's one thing, if they're asking because they legit don't know, I think it's a better opportunity to educate.

Anyways, I'm still on a high after that game. Hope you enjoyed it Terry, hopefully I'll be down for the Cinci game.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:37 pm

That is still just baffling to me in 2014, but I guess that is the battle we are fighting.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby OhioBrownFan » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:20 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:

That is still just baffling to me in 2014, but I guess that is the battle we are fighting.

It's a good academic school, it's private, it's in Dallas 1500 miles away, sports have been largely irrelevant in football and bball for the last 25 years. There's just a lot of people that have never been exposed. It wasn't even a school I was looking at and in hindsight, it really should've been a place I looked at for undergrad. I just didn't know enough about the school and it's expensive to get a degree from. I don't think it's too hard to see why it's a school that many are largely unfamiliar with. I wouldn't worry, just wait until March and they're playing in the NCAA tourney, people will get to know SMU by then as they watch SMU knock their team out of the tourney.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby FriscoPMG » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:01 pm

OhioBrownFan wrote:
DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:

It's a good academic school, it's private, it's in Dallas 1500 miles away, sports have been largely irrelevant in football and bball for the last 25 years. There's just a lot of people that have never been exposed. It wasn't even a school I was looking at and in hindsight, it really should've been a place I looked at for undergrad. I just didn't know enough about the school and it's expensive to get a degree from. I don't think it's too hard to see why it's a school that many are largely unfamiliar with. I wouldn't worry, just wait until March and they're playing in the NCAA tourney, people will get to know SMU by then as they watch SMU knock their team out of the tourney.

And this is why the academic-minded folks need to understand the huge benefit on having successful athletic programs. I suspect Duke wouldn't be a household name like it is without basketball. And I guarantee a lot more people know what TCU stands for with the success of their football program. Drives me crazy seeing "Southern Methodist" on bottom lines and score updates, but it's true that "SMU" is an unknown for most of the country. I've had it mistaken for a college in Canada on multiple occasions.
FriscoPMG
All-American

Postby RebStang » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:04 pm

SMU1523 wrote:

Be nice... there are no dumb questions... only dumb people.
RebStang
All-American

Postby Pony Fan » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:19 pm

RebStang wrote:
SMU1523 wrote:

Be nice... there are no dumb questions... only dumb people.

They will know when we jump into the B1G
Pony Fan
Heisman

Postby SMU1523 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:21 pm

We are not going to the B1G.
SMU1523
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:53 pm

Man i hope not. Its friggin Canada up there.
gostangs

Next

Return to Basketball